The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I am starting Journalism in September, currently working out what to put as my insurance offer.

I have been recommended by a lot of people to do a degree course accredited by the NCTJ (national council for the training of journalists), this way you will get a highly respected qualification aswell as a degree, it also means that the teaching and facilities have been assesed by the NCTJ and met their guidelines.

A list of these unis can be found here: http://www.nctj.com/courses_full.php?coursecatid=4&PHPSESSID=4681dd0471e54e9ec97c2687ea1eafde

There are about 11 unis on there, worth having a look!
Reply 2
Excellent, thankyou very much.

What uni are you going to go to?
Reply 3
Im hoping for Sheffield but im feeling a little unconfident about getting the grades, I will put that as my firm choice though. At the moment im stuck with what to put as my insurance offer, I can either put a uni which I really like but might struggle to get into (as the grades just slightly lower than sheffield) or a uni with an offer I can get with ease but might not enjoy as much if I was to miss getting my first choice.
Reply 4
Chester is a nice place and the room you have your lectures in is set out as a news room which is kinda cool! It's also a great Uni if you want to do Journalism with something else, like..English or something seemingly un-related like Drama!

Central Lancashire sounded really, really cool from the prospectus but when I visited I wasn't very impressed and although I needed BBC to get a place there (I ended up with BBBB anyway) I chose Chester, whose offer was slightly lower because it seemed like a nicer place. I'm going there in sept.

I didn't really look into Sheffield at the time I applied but if I'd had known more about it and had more confidence in the grades I could get, I would have definately applied there. I've heard good things about it...

Vist the Uni's is my advice. Ask lots of questions and talk to the students!
Reply 5
Does anyone have any information about Cumbria institute of arts doing the course?

Is it any good? etc

Thanks
does anyone know what grades are needed to get into leicester uni to study journalism?

desperate help needed
i thing its something like mmp, im plannie on going there
Reply 8
Im doing broadcast jounalism next year at staffordshire uni.
NCTJ accredited, brilliant modern newsroom, i'd urge anyone to look into it, looks quality.
Reply 9
Anyone know anything about non-NCTJ accredited courses?
I found one that looks great at Northumbria Uni - Journalism BA Hons or Journalsim with English BA Hons. What is the general opinion on non-NCTJ accredited courses?
How long do the NCTJ accredited courses last?
Any help much appreciated!
Reply 10
Well these universities all do BA (Hons) Journalism:

Canterbury Christ Church University
University of Central Lancashire
University of Chester
Cumbria Institute of the Arts
University of East London
Edge Hill University
University College Falmouth
University of Glamorgan
Glasgow Caledonian University
Harlow College
Kingston University
Leeds, Trinity & All Saints
University of Lincoln
Liverpool John Moores University
London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
University of Luton
Middlesex University
Napier University
University of Northampton
University of Sheffield
South East Essex College
Southampton Solent University
Staffordshire University
University of Sunderland
University of Winchester
Reply 11
Journalism is a really awesome course that I always wanted to do. I also did my research on the course BUT then I looked at the wages and they were shamefully low. AWFUL.. and if you love earning money aswell, then its just poor. Something like £12-15,000 starting wage. Great job, poor pay.

So now I have been deterred from doing Journalism. I was planning to Broadcast Journalism at Leeds Uni OR BA in Journalism at Sheffield. But I don't think I'l do either now. Im planning to apply for Law now, and then maybe get into Journalism. The grades for Journalism are quite average, comepared to Law, I think Leeds ask for BBB. And another advice will be that you take in lots of experience at either a newspaper (writing/print journalism) OR a TV/Radio station (broadcast journalism) It will be useful...
To be honest you shouldn't look at lists of recomendations, you should go to a university you want to go to, somewhere you will feel happy, yeah look at the lists for ideas but choose it for you not because you think it's the best one.

With Journalism, it's not the university you go to that will get you the best job, it's enthusiasm and work experience. Especially work experience, that is the main thing you MUST have when applying for a journalism job.
Reply 13
I am a journalist for www.ukmusic.com - It is a great job and I seriously recommend it to anyone who wishes to persue it as a career. It is very exciting (I met both Michael and Janet Jackson, Nelly Furtardo, Britney Spears and have interviewed the likes of Lemar, Chris Brown and Rihanna) but I must admit, the pay isn't really that good.
Reply 14
what about bournemouth, they seem to do a great course- multimedia journalism. Anyone applied for there?
Reply 15
Hi,

I originally applied for 2006 entry for Law and got 6 offers.

I rejected those offers and changed my course choice to Journalism. I am now at the Uni of the Arts London (London College of Communication).

I am also now in the process of applying for Law for 2007 entry...............
Reply 16
Why did you change? Didn't you like Journalism? What did you hate about it?
Reply 17
DrEvil
Why did you change? Didn't you like Journalism? What did you hate about it?

I want to change because:

1. I'm hardly there - it seems like i've got extra long holidays and hardly any contact time.
2. It's too slow paced - I need to work quicker to keep stimulated/motivated.
3. I think Law is more my thing.

xx
Reply 18
O - Journalism is exciting though once you qualify I think. I have an interview with base magazine today so wish me luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending