What is a good mpg reading? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ekudamram
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
When looking at cars, the first thing I look for is it's fuel efficiency.

I always thought that anything over 30mpg was good, but these days, it's not uncommon to see 45mpg+

What do you get? And are you ok with it?
arz15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get 31mpg driving carefully in my 2009 Ford Fiesta, which is not bad, but not great for a "small" car.

I would also like to know what a good figure is.
tans8701
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in town i would say good is 30+

on motorway i would say good is 45/50+
ekudamram
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Really? That seems pretty poor for an 09 fiesta
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends what you drive, doesn't it?

If you're running a Jag V12, you've got to be happy with double figures eh!
Thelb4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get around 40-41 mpg average in my VW Polo, 1.2 litre engine.
Crimmy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it also depends how you drive. I'm not driving yet, but I watch my mum/dad when they're driving (as you do when you're about to learn how to drive) and on long trips we can get 45mpg in a big merc if mums driving carefully, or it can be around 25mpg with dads aggressive driving :P
TattyBoJangles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mine varies between 45 and 55.

Contrast that with either mum's or dad's - you'd be lucky to get 10mpg out of them.
xsophx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it depends on how you drive and what you drive. My car does over 50 mpg when on a roads/motorways but will drop when going around the city. I can get over 500 to a tank not doing city driving
mphysical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The 'official' figures should only be used as a guide or comparison.
They are achieved under laboratory conditions.

As a rule of thumb, take the worst set, either the motorway or about town figures, I can't remember, and that is about the best you can expect.
Unless you join the hypermiler club - drivers who beat the official mpg.
Herr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't look at the fuel economy numbers provided by the manufacturer as these are mostly a bunch of lab test that are almost impossible to replicate in the real world.

What I normally do is I just look at it every other fuel tank fill up or so to ensure that the car isn't over-consuming fuel which might indicate something is wrong with it.

Current car claims to do 7.7l/100km but the computer says it's doing 11.5l/100km, I'm fine with this as I drive on hilly roads all the time and in urban conditions quite often. Also realize that it is a big and heavy car so it isn't going to deliver any fantastic fuel economy which again is fine as I like my cars to be big and comfortable for the mileage I do.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arz15)
I get 31mpg driving carefully in my 2009 Ford Fiesta, which is not bad, but not great for a "small" car.

Instinct would tell me that's absolutely awful for a three year old Fiesta, especially 'driving carefully'.

I have absolutely no idea what I get in my '94 1.4 Golf. I know the Land Rover got roughly 25mpg, and the Morris Minor was probably 20-25mpg. I'd like to think the Golf gets 35-40, but I cba to work it out. I just fill it up when it runs out. I get about 400-450 miles out of a tank on the Motorway and it's something like £50 to fill it.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arz15)

If that's accurate (calculated from fuel consumption rather than the trip computer) and you genuinely drive "carefully", there's something wrong with your car. Even the hottest 1.6 Fiestas should get 45+mpg.
shaun12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got anything from 44 to 52mpg in my 1.5 Suzuki Swift. I re-set everytime I put fuel in (~250 miles)
The guideline average is 46mpg so I think i'm doing quite well
MissLightyear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get 46.8 - 48.5mpg normal driving in my 04 Panda 1.2, 51.1mpg on motorways
R. Murray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can get around 45-50+ around the town and 55-60+ on the motorways in a 1.9TDi Jetta.
Dan1909
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FXX)
Even the hottest 1.6 Fiestas should get 45+mpg.
I wouldn't be so sure about that one, I'd love to see my ST get anywhere near to 45MPG!

But yes, the MPG he's getting from that Fiesta is abolustely dire!
M4LLY
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say 30+, i'm lucky to see that as i have a Polo 6N2 and I do drive quite hard.
Dan1909
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by M4LLY)
I'd say 30+, i'm lucky to see that as i have a Polo 6N2 and I do drive quite hard.
Which engine is in that?
M4LLY
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dan1909)
Which engine is in that?
The 6N2 is the GTI engine (a 1.6). Its well worth the poor fuel ecnomy though, its such a fun car to drive.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.83%
No I am happy with my course choice (496)
59.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.44%

Watched Threads