The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I get 31mpg driving carefully in my 2009 Ford Fiesta, which is not bad, but not great for a "small" car.

I would also like to know what a good figure is.
Reply 2
in town i would say good is 30+

on motorway i would say good is 45/50+
Reply 3
Really? That seems pretty poor for an 09 fiesta
Reply 4
Depends what you drive, doesn't it?

If you're running a Jag V12, you've got to be happy with double figures eh!
Reply 5
I get around 40-41 mpg average in my VW Polo, 1.2 litre engine.
Reply 6
it also depends how you drive. I'm not driving yet, but I watch my mum/dad when they're driving (as you do when you're about to learn how to drive) and on long trips we can get 45mpg in a big merc if mums driving carefully, or it can be around 25mpg with dads aggressive driving :P
Mine varies between 45 and 55.

Contrast that with either mum's or dad's - you'd be lucky to get 10mpg out of them.
Reply 8
it depends on how you drive and what you drive. My car does over 50 mpg when on a roads/motorways but will drop when going around the city. I can get over 500 to a tank not doing city driving
Reply 9
The 'official' figures should only be used as a guide or comparison.
They are achieved under laboratory conditions.

As a rule of thumb, take the worst set, either the motorway or about town figures, I can't remember, and that is about the best you can expect.
Unless you join the hypermiler club - drivers who beat the official mpg.
Reply 10
I don't look at the fuel economy numbers provided by the manufacturer as these are mostly a bunch of lab test that are almost impossible to replicate in the real world.

What I normally do is I just look at it every other fuel tank fill up or so to ensure that the car isn't over-consuming fuel which might indicate something is wrong with it.

Current car claims to do 7.7l/100km but the computer says it's doing 11.5l/100km, I'm fine with this as I drive on hilly roads all the time and in urban conditions quite often. Also realize that it is a big and heavy car so it isn't going to deliver any fantastic fuel economy which again is fine as I like my cars to be big and comfortable for the mileage I do.
Reply 11
Original post by arz15
I get 31mpg driving carefully in my 2009 Ford Fiesta, which is not bad, but not great for a "small" car.

Instinct would tell me that's absolutely awful for a three year old Fiesta, especially 'driving carefully'.

I have absolutely no idea what I get in my '94 1.4 Golf. I know the Land Rover got roughly 25mpg, and the Morris Minor was probably 20-25mpg. I'd like to think the Golf gets 35-40, but I cba to work it out. I just fill it up when it runs out. I get about 400-450 miles out of a tank on the Motorway and it's something like Β£50 to fill it.
Reply 12
Original post by arz15

If that's accurate (calculated from fuel consumption rather than the trip computer) and you genuinely drive "carefully", there's something wrong with your car. Even the hottest 1.6 Fiestas should get 45+mpg.
I've got anything from 44 to 52mpg in my 1.5 Suzuki Swift. I re-set everytime I put fuel in (~250 miles)
The guideline average is 46mpg so I think i'm doing quite well
I get 46.8 - 48.5mpg normal driving in my 04 Panda 1.2, 51.1mpg on motorways
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I can get around 45-50+ around the town and 55-60+ on the motorways in a 1.9TDi Jetta.
Reply 16
Original post by FXX
Even the hottest 1.6 Fiestas should get 45+mpg.

I wouldn't be so sure about that one, I'd love to see my ST get anywhere near to 45MPG! :wink:

But yes, the MPG he's getting from that Fiesta is abolustely dire!
Reply 17
I'd say 30+, i'm lucky to see that as i have a Polo 6N2 and I do drive quite hard.
Reply 18
Original post by M4LLY
I'd say 30+, i'm lucky to see that as i have a Polo 6N2 and I do drive quite hard.

Which engine is in that?
Reply 19
Original post by Dan1909
Which engine is in that?

The 6N2 is the GTI engine (a 1.6). Its well worth the poor fuel ecnomy though, its such a fun car to drive.