The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dan1909
I wouldn't be so sure about that one, I'd love to see my ST get anywhere near to 45MPG! :wink:

But yes, the MPG he's getting from that Fiesta is abolustely dire!

I suspect it is down to the driver more than the car.
most likely driving on continous stop-start routes.
additonal weight, heavy accelerating, heavy braking possibly due to lack of continous assessment of the current situation etc
Reply 21
My MPG is pretty low on account of doing short journeys to work as 75% of my mileage. Mid 30's is my average MPG from a 1.4 running 200+ bhp. Long journey to the Lake District and back, I averaged 48.5 mpg over 400 miles, was mega happy. :biggrin:
I average 34mpg from my Austin Montego 2.0HL. That drops as low as 20 when used on short, stop start town runs, but equally I've had 48.3 on a 200 mile round trip of motorways/A roads with about 4 miles of town work in the middle. My next aim is to hit 50...
Reply 23
My car gets 29-33 mpg on regular unleaded and 35-36 on super. It's only a 1.3 engine and it is really slow, and struggles to get up hills, etc. I think there may be something wrong with it.

It doesn't matter whether I keep the revs below 2.5k or within a millimetre of the red line, it makes barely any difference.

The official combined cycle mpg (the average between urban and extra urban) is 43.
Reply 24
I had a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa - and the mpg was ATROCIOUS... Back then a full tank cost £50, and only got me 200 miles.

I have a Honda Civic 1.4 now and it gives me roughly 42-48 MPG. Amazing car.
Reply 25
Original post by Nuffles
the Morris Minor was probably 20-25mpg.

Well that certainly needs setting up propperly, then.
Should be more like 30-35mpg.
Reply 26
Original post by JC.
Well that certainly needs setting up propperly, then.
Should be more like 30-35mpg.

I know, but it drank oil like there was no tomorrow and definitely needed rebuilding, I just never had the time. It may have been nearer 30mpg but I never could be bothered to work it out.
Reply 27
I drive a 1998 E46 328i, and on a decent run on A roads I average around 42 mpg. Town driving, probably around 30 mpg.

I have had 17 mpg before, when I discovered how wonderful the noise is over 5500 rpm :smile:

I am very happy with the economy I get, but to be honest it wasn't a consideration when I bought the car. I wanted the straight 6, rear wheel drive, and the wonderful sports seats and sublime handling. Life is too short to be bothering about how many miles a gallon of fuel will take you!
Reply 28
Okay it turns out I didn't reset it from before setting off, the figure from the trip computer right now is 38mpg, which is better I suppose.

Bearing in mind this is all town driving with frequent stops and starts.
Reply 29
Original post by arz15
Okay it turns out I didn't reset it from before setting off, the figure from the trip computer right now is 38mpg, which is better I suppose.

That's definitely better! Probably still more room for improvement in there though.
Reply 30
Original post by arz15

Original post by Dan1909
That's definitely better! Probably still more room for improvement in there though.

I'd say for town driving it's pretty accurate. It's double what I get anyway :tongue:
Reply 31
I get around 45 MPG in my Aygo.
Waaaay worse than quoted, however that is mainly city driving with only one day where I travel about 40 miles on the motorway.
Reply 32
I get about 30-33mpg on my 1.2 Skoda Fabia. Mostly all town driving, I'm not sure if that's good or bad though.
Reply 33
I get around 45MPG on my Micra 1.0 on motorways and such, but it has to work hard at speed, so its no surprise its not as good as a newer more powerful engine I guess.
I haven't worked out town MPG, but I tend to do a mix so its hard to judge.

Even powerful cars now are getting some reletively good MPG figures. It's certainly something I'd look for too as I hate having to fill up.

A full tank on my Micra is gone in 300 miles on motorways and such. Not sure if thats good or bad.
*points to fuelly signature*

:teeth:
Reply 35
I drive a 2004 BMW 318ci. 2.0l 4 cylinder auto. I average 32MPG which includes mainly hilly country roads and town driving. I'm fairly happy with it, it's what i expected.
Reply 36
i get 60 mpg out of my 2000 ford fiesta... not a clue what it means but ive been told its good for my car
Reply 37
Original post by EmilyJR
i get 60 mpg out of my 2000 ford fiesta... not a clue what it means but ive been told its good for my car

It means for every 60 miles worth of driving you do the engine consumes 1 imperial gallon of fuel or, 4.5 litres. :wink:
Reply 38
Much as it pains me to discuss fuel economy... you should see some improvment for a fresh oil / air filter and an oil change.
i get 50 riding my bike like i stole it :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest