This discussion is closed.
kungfuchris
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Where, how, cost... anything you can tell me!!? Been searching all over the net for a school that teaches civilians to fly modern fast jets (such as the Hawk) but I've had no luck. Any of you guys know of a place?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Very difficult. I don't know of any schools that have Hawks, and just a handful of private owners that have Gnats and JPs and the suchlike. You can find a school that will teach you on the L39 and JP etc, but you'll need a lot of previous experience before they'll teach you on it. You can't step into one without having so much as seen a Cessna before.

Also, it's phenomenally expensive; running costs for private owners are generally around £10k for a 1/6th share,
£500-£1000 a month for maintenance AND £450-odd per airborne hour, for aircraft like a Hawk.

I should imagine that it'll be at least a few hundred pounds an hour to learn in a small jet.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kungfuchris)
Where, how, cost... anything you can tell me!!? Been searching all over the net for a school that teaches civilians to fly modern fast jets (such as the Hawk) but I've had no luck. Any of you guys know of a place?
Russia. Will cost you but I know for a fact that they do offer programs for civvies if you fancy flying a MIG.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
They'll take a few K off you and let you sit in the rear seat of a Foxbat, sure, but they won't teach you how to operate as a jet pilot. Sitting in something's not the same as learning to fly it.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
They'll take a few K off you and let you sit in the rear seat of a Foxbat, sure, but they won't teach you how to operate as a jet pilot. Sitting in something's not the same as learning to fly it.
Anything is available at the right price.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Are you a Muslim by any chance?
kungfuchris
(Original post by Gnostic)
Are you a Muslim by any chance?
Nope, not a muslim at all.. why you ask? I know it's gonna cost a bomb but I do know of someone that flys a Hawk out of Stansted - he's apparently a commercial pilot (£70k pa!!). There must be somewhere that trains civilians!! Keep an eye out!!!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Mmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
kungfuchris
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Mmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Yeah, cheers! I'll try that!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Anything is available at the right price.
There's nowhere you can pay to fly a Harrier laden with CRV-7 and fire off 100-odd at targets on a range before popping home to do a few STOL-hop circuits.
Owen_e_T
Report 17 years ago
LOL, Wzz makes me laugh!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Owen_e_T)
LOL, Wzz makes me laugh!
We aim to please.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (233)
75.16%
No (77)
24.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed