Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    LOL musical snobbery at is finest, starting to sound like a wine buff.
    Took the words off my fingers. "Ooh look at me I listen to music that isn't in the charts so I'm better than you"... Snobbery is the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    good - and cate classical music is too boring for me although i have tried listening to Mozart and Handel etc. Too soft - not enough edge and certainly not relevant to me

Boring??!! You picked the wrong music matey. Even Handel can be exciting if you listen to the right music, and as for Mozart - his Requiem is raw emotion. Pop and rock don't come close!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Took the words off my fingers. "Ooh look at me I listen to music that isn't in the charts so I'm better than you"... Snobbery is the word.
    depends on which charts - pop charts sicken me - Darkness are gr8 though

ReputationRep:
    hmm ur right - oh well - when the rest of 'em grow up they can join me as a snob and together we'll systematically destroy pop
    Pop, short for popular music. Even if you "destroy" it (which we can't because it's popular), you'll just pass the pop tag to another style of music.

ReputationRep:
    Pop, short for popular music. Even if you "destroy" it (which we can't because it's popular), you'll just pass the pop tag to another style of music.
    Pop music has gradually degraded in quality over the last 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    hmm ur right - oh well - when the rest of 'em grow up they can join me as a snob and together we'll systematically destroy pop - by the way who here loves the Pixies?
    Destroying 'POP' would mean an end to the popular music, in other words what everyone else likes, and then the so called 'mature' music would become POP itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Boring??!! You picked the wrong music matey. Even Handel can be exciting if you listen to the right music, and as for Mozart - his Requiem is raw emotion. Pop and rock don't come close!
    depends on ur upbringing - i was brought up in the hip and happening Knightsbridge by parents who were hip and cool and listened to nothing but the beatles the stones and the beach boys - others in my area were sent to classic music lessons but still werent in love with it - Not my fault for living in a buzzing atmosphere that doesnt allow classic music!!!

ReputationRep:
    depends on which charts - pop charts sicken me - Darkness are gr8 though
    Bought the album but couldn't take interest in it, maybe I wasn't listening properly. I'll play it tomorrow maybe, today I have the taste of weed in my mouth and I'll probably go to bed when I get home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Destroying 'POP' would mean an end to the popular music, in other words what everyone else likes, and then the so called 'mature' music would become POP itself
    ur dealing with semantics - pop music to me is classed as inoffensive to the musically impaired and offensive to the ears of those who appreciate talented musicians rather than filling their ears with cheese

ReputationRep:
    Bought the album but couldn't take interest in it, maybe I wasn't listening properly. I'll play it tomorrow maybe, today I have the taste of weed in my mouth and I'll probably go to bed when I get home.
    taste of weed in ur mouth? are u a lawnmower?

ReputationRep:
    When will people start growing up and listen to the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd. When will people begin to sit up and take note of some of the 80s bands like the Smiths, the Cure and the Stone Roses hell even Guns and Roses - and finally when will kids finally start appreciating the 90s (especially the early 90s) when Grunge ruled without question - Grunge was an improvement to the Glam Rock it displaced but today whatever this new sort of punk/nu metal/pop rock is - it certainly hasnt improved on Grunge or Heavy metal - Thank god for RCHP and Metallica - and of course Dave Grohl and QOTSA for continuing some of the good old-fashioned hard rock and roll - I have an extensive music taste which only now and again allows me to enjoy new stuff - the Libertines are fantastic and Muse and Radiohead are both excellent bands - however they are being dominated by total garbage from America and a flood of emo bands from our shores - AAAAAAAAAARRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHh

Hmm, you have missed off Elton John and Dylan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Pop music has gradually degraded in quality over the last 20 years.
    And you've heard all the records of twenty years...

I see your point though, there aren't the legends of music there were back then, Michael Jackson immediately springs to mind from back then but you can't pick out a legend nowadays, they're mostly flashes in the pan. Doesn't mean to say the standard of music has declined, just that the charts aren't nowadays competed on musical merit so much. Obviously the best music will reach the top but there isn't much of it around, it's about marketability now.

ReputationRep:
    ur dealing with semantics - pop music to me is classed as inoffensive to the musically impaired and offensive to the ears of those who appreciate talented musicians rather than filling their ears with cheese
    if people want to listen to it then let them, i personally don't like listening to it and therefore don't. It doesn't mean you can pass judgement on those who do lol, just let them (the music buying public) be and listen to your own music without trying to convert people to your personal taste, or you shall be shooed away like the unwanted religious bookpasser knocking on your front door.

ReputationRep:
    taste of weed in ur mouth? are u a lawnmower?
    Oh very good, I really walked into that one

Nah just been blazing out on the balcony at school with my mates, will proceed again when they get back from their lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    When will people grow up and start listening to classical music?

You should listen to Eltons John self entitled album. Often reffered to as the black album. It is contemporay orhestrated music at its best, pure brilliance. Paul Buckmaster had arrangements in 1970 and the rest of the early 70's which couldnt be touched by any other contemporary act.

ReputationRep:

I see your point though, there aren't the legends of music there were back then, Michael Jackson immediately springs to mind from back then but you can't pick out a legend nowadays, they're mostly flashes in the pan. Doesn't mean to say the standard of music has declined, just that the charts aren't nowadays competed on musical merit so much. Obviously the best music will reach the top but there isn't much of it around, it's about marketability now.
    Yeah you're right. You didn't see the Beatles sininging along to McDonalds adverts did you?

ReputationRep:

Exactly.

There were loads of good 80's and 90's tunes back then, today it's lots of cheapo wannabees and marketing trash.

Music has definitely degraded over the last 2 decades.

There were so many good 80's tunes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    You should listen to Eltons John self entitled album. Often reffered to as the black album. It is contemporay orhestrated music at its best, pure brilliance. Paul Buckmaster had arrangements in 1970 and the rest of the early 70's which couldnt be touched by any other contemporary act.
    Hmmm... might give that a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Hmmm... might give that a go.
    People often dont have a clue that Reginald Dwight actually went to the Royal acadamy of music and is classically trained. My favourite song from that album is by far 'the greatest discovery', absolutely beautiful lyrics by Bernie Taupin. It is from the outlook of a small baby boy who has just found he has a new baby brother. Breathtaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    if people want to listen to it then let them, i personally don't like listening to it and therefore don't. It doesn't mean you can pass judgement on those who do lol, just let them (the music buying public) be and listen to your own music without trying to convert people to your personal taste, or you shall be shooed away like the unwanted religious bookpasser knocking on your front door.
    Absolution are u accusing me of trying to convert and indoctrinate - i simply believe that a lot of people are missing out by not listening and appreciating some music - all types of music have their own followings and all deserve a modecom of respect because they have monetary power and weight - but dont miss out by listening to stuff like pop or deathmetal which doesnt have any meaningful messages nor creative

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.