Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Absolution are u accusing me of trying to convert and indoctrinate - i simply believe that a lot of people are missing out by not listening and appreciating some music - all types of music have their own followings and all deserve a modecom of respect because they have monetary power and weight - but dont miss out by listening to stuff like pop or deathmetal which doesnt have any meaningful messages nor creative
    Indoctrinate is a little strong but you can't just tar every other type of music with the 'immature' and 'cheesey pop trash' brush.

I don't listen to deathmetal so theres no worry there, but i'm sure all music conveys some meaningful interpretated message (possible exception of The fast food rockers ), and music is an art form, therefore creative.

ReputationRep:
    You're fairly amusing really, aren't you? Firstly emo is a great up-and-coming genre. Go and listen to Brand New for a bit. They are mature both lyrically and musically.

Secondly you mentioned FFAF and Lostprophets in the same sentence. I'm not sure why people keep doing this. Maybe because they both come from Wales. LP are pop, as you say, and simultaneously terrible. FFAF are not. Please listen to some more of their material, maybe an album. I'm not sure what makes you consider them to be pop. They are in fact a very good band.

Thirdly saying you think The Darkness are great kind of (i.e. does) destroys your whole argument. They are the ultiamte in pop rock. They are a gimmick, never mind getting by on gimics. At first I found their songs catchy, but as all pop rock eventually does (see Nickleback, Evanescence) they eventually began to grind on me. They are terrible. It is ironic that you seem to take your music so seriously when they clearly do not. As someone else who takes their music very seriously, I in fact find this band sickening.

I do also immensely like the bands considered as seminal or legendary; Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Radiohead (some stuff), QOTSA, Foo Fighters (you forget them), Smashing Pumpkins (and them!), but it doesn't mean I can't also listen to new bands that are just breaking through, who haven't come quite as far. And Metallica are also terrible. Like The Darkness. *shudders at thought of both bands*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Indoctrinate is a little strong but you can't just tar every other type of music with the 'immature' and 'cheesey pop trash' brush.

I don't listen to deathmetal so theres no worry there, but i'm sure all music conveys some meaningful interpretated message (possible exception of The fast food rockers ), and music is an art form, therefore creative.
    point taken - i was trying to appeal to like-minded music fans under the guise of 'mature' - which i retract - who else loves the music i love? Absolution ur with me right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    You're fairly amusing really, aren't you? Firstly emo is a great up-and-coming genre. Go and listen to Brand New for a bit. They are mature both lyrically and musically.

Secondly you mentioned FFAF and Lostprophets in the same sentence. I'm not sure why people keep doing this. Maybe because they both come from Wales. LP are pop, as you say, and simultaneously terrible. FFAF are not. Please listen to some more of their material, maybe an album. I'm not sure what makes you consider them to be pop. They are in fact a very good band.

Thirdly saying you think The Darkness are great kind of (i.e. does) destroys your whole argument. They are the ultiamte in pop rock. They are a gimmick, never mind getting by on gimics. At first I found their songs catchy, but as all pop rock eventually does (see Nickleback, Evanescence) they eventually began to grind on me. They are terrible. It is ironic that you seem to take your music so seriously when they clearly do not. As someone else who takes their music very seriously, I in fact find this band sickening.

I do also immensely like the bands considered as seminal or legendary; Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Radiohead (some stuff), QOTSA, Foo Fighters (you forget them), Smashing Pumpkins (and them!), but it doesn't mean I can't also listen to new bands that are just breaking through, who haven't come quite as far. And Metallica are also terrible. Like The Darkness. *shudders at thought of both bands*
    I retract some of the stuff - FFAF to me are a bit monotonous though - but Brand New - sic transit gloria is a v. good song - dont forget Glassjaw either - Emo is an up and coming genre - in fact i believe the likes of Kurt Cobain probably started the ball rolling for emo with the eclectic 'in utero' - tourettes (fab song) = yeah i do agree with u - however darkness are musically talented and so are metallica - but i dont listen to them as much as i do grunge and older rock and roll

ReputationRep:
    point taken - i was trying to appeal to like-minded music fans under the guise of 'mature' - which i retract - who else loves the music i love? Absolution ur with me right?
    I'm with you up to the point of liking the same or similar music to you yes. But i don't hold it against people what they like or disike except maybe Sean Paul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    I'm with you up to the point of liking the same or similar music to you yes. But i don't hold it against people what they like or disike except maybe Sean Paul
    nah dont worry - i dont hold it against people either - i simply know what i dont like

ReputationRep:
    good - and cate classical music is too boring for me although i have tried listening to Mozart and Handel etc. Too soft - not enough edge and certainly not relevant to me
    Then don't listen to Mozart and handel - there are 1000s upon 1000s of incredible composers out there, yet most people will only try 2 or 3. (This isn't an attack on you in any way, it's just what I observe in a lot of people). Try Faure, Verdi, Bruckner, Tallis, Victoria, Lotti.... I could go on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Then don't listen to Mozart and handel - there are 1000s upon 1000s of incredible composers out there, yet most people will only try 2 or 3. (This isn't an attack on you in any way, it's just what I observe in a lot of people). Try Faure, Verdi, Bruckner, Tallis, Victoria, Lotti.... I could go on.
    perhaps i should listen to classic fm - i mean actually i love classical music when trying to unwind - but it doesnt inspire any raw emotion in me the way rock does - the cascade of violins isnt edgy enough - however it is very easy on the ears and i like to listen to it on a fair few occasions

ReputationRep:
    perhaps i should listen to classic fm - i mean actually i love classical music when trying to unwind - but it doesnt inspire any raw emotion in me the way rock does - the cascade of violins isnt edgy enough - however it is very easy on the ears and i like to listen to it on a fair few occasions
    Nononono!! Never listen to Classic fm, it's pure ********, it's the Magic fm of the classical music world. There's nowhere worse you could go. That's the problem - it only plays stuff that's easy on the ears. Listne to something by Shoenberg, or Britten - that's challenging music.
    Do you have any music downloading thing, like kazaa? If so, here are some things to download:

Bruckner: Os Justi, Ave Maria
    Lotti: Crucifixus
    Britten: Missa Brevis (esp. the Sanctus)
    Tallis: Spem in Alium (it has 40 parts!)

ReputationRep:
    When will people start growing up and listen to the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd. When will people begin to sit up and take note of some of the 80s bands like the Smiths, the Cure and the Stone Roses hell even Guns and Roses - and finally when will kids finally start appreciating the 90s (especially the early 90s) when Grunge ruled without question - Grunge was an improvement to the Glam Rock it displaced but today whatever this new sort of punk/nu metal/pop rock is - it certainly hasnt improved on Grunge or Heavy metal - Thank god for RCHP and Metallica - and of course Dave Grohl and QOTSA for continuing some of the good old-fashioned hard rock and roll - I have an extensive music taste which only now and again allows me to enjoy new stuff - the Libertines are fantastic and Muse and Radiohead are both excellent bands - however they are being dominated by total garbage from America and a flood of emo bands from our shores - AAAAAAAAAARRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHh
    I fully agree with you man, and I didn't realise there were other libertines fans on here! Great to hear, they're probably my favourite band (although there are many contenders!)

ReputationRep:
    The bands you described in your first post is a like a summary of my mp3 collection. Pink Floyd are probably my favourite band.

You didn't mention the beatles though. Any reason for that?

AAAAAAAAAARRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHh
    Oh, and I really wish people would stop using my name in vain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)
    I fully agree with you man, and I didn't realise there were other libertines fans on here! Great to hear, they're probably my favourite band (although there are many contenders!)
    which others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    The bands you described in your first post is a like a summary of my mp3 collection. Pink Floyd are probably my favourite band.

You didn't mention the beatles though. Any reason for that?

Oh, and I really wish people would stop using my name in vain.
    too obvious perhaps - beatles are great man - abbey road and sergeant pepper great stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Kurdt do you know of "Godspeed you black emperor!" ? Nice sounds.
    weird - heard something about that the other day on xfm or talksport

ReputationRep:
    I love the track 'careful with that axe eugene', by Pink Floyd. I play guitar myself, and recently learned how to play shine on you crazy diamond. I can it almost perfectly now. Pretty satisfying

I agree with you about the fact that it's pretty frustrating that few people seem to have even heard of some of these bands nowadays, but they're still a few of us out there. I don't even listen to most chart music nowadays.

Have you heard of Sigur Ros? There's a track called 'Avalon' they did which I absolutely love. Off the top of my head I'd also have to include Beth Orton, Chemical Brothers, The Doves, The Eagles, Eva Cassiday, Nora Jones, Tracy Chapman and Ian Brown's solo stuff. I think Ian Brown is really underrated actually.

ReputationRep:
    I love the track 'careful with that axe eugene', by Pink Floyd. I play guitar myself, and recently learned how to play shine on you crazy diamond. I can it almost perfectly now. Pretty satisfying

I agree with you about the fact that it's pretty frustrating that few people seem to have even heard of some of these bands nowadays, but they're still a few of us out there. I don't even listen to most chart music nowadays.

Have you heard of Sigur Ros? There's a track called 'Avalon' they did which I absolutely love. Off the top of my head I'd also have to include Beth Orton, Chemical Brothers, The Doves, The Eagles, Eva Cassiday, Nora Jones, Tracy Chapman and Ian Brown's solo stuff. I think Ian Brown is really underrated actually.
    that is a gr8 track by pink floyd - my mum's favourite song - and shine on u crazy diamond is pretty cool too - i have heard of sigur ros and 'avalon' but not familiar to be truthful - doves and chemical bros are cool - Norah Jones is beautiful and her voice is heavenly - i have her album along with Amy Winehouse - Ian Brown? again heard the name but not familiar

ReputationRep:
    The town I grew up in (a crappy little place called Ashton Under Lyne), has a few bars and clubs together on a road that goes round in circles. Loads of little teenagers tend to drive round and round at night time with their stereos on max trying to act cool. A while ago I was in my mates car (unfortunately, he's also quite heavily into modding his car, and has a super powerful stereo to boot), and I put on classic fm for a joke at first. We then thought it'd be funny to drive really slowly round the town centre with our windows down with Classic FM blazing out of the car at about 100 decibals. You should have seen the looks we got. It was hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Ian Brown? again heard the name but not familiar
    Ian Brown was the lead singer for the stone roses. He went on to make a few solo albums. I can actually rip the album for you right now and let you download it from me if you want. Provided you have broadband, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Ian Brown was the lead singer for the stone roses. He went on to make a few solo albums. I can actually rip the album for you right now and let you download it from me if you want. Provided you have broadband, obviously.
    OF COURSE - stone roses were phenomenal - they were so damn laid back fool's gold was great - have u heard of a new song by a new band which is called - the colour and the shape - or something like that -reminds me of coldplay crossed with stone roses

ReputationRep:
    No, I've never heard of them. I'll have to look out for them. Also, I can't believe I've not mentioned Massive Attack. One of my favourite bands in recent years certainly. The track 'Teardrop' was great, and I loved the video too.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.