The Student Room Group

Resitting a year?

Has anyone here gone on to do computer science at a university and they have resat a year? I do 3 A-levels which are Chemistry, Biology and IT. I believe that I will fail Chemistry and Biology but recieve a good grade in IT. Even I do pass, I'm not keen on doing Biology. What's the odds of me going to do Computer science, I have not got an excuse. Should I just do an IT BTEC with A-level maths?
Maybe start getting some programming experience.
Reply 2
Yeah, I know a quite a bit already, I'll be looking to knowing more. Resitting a years limits me from going to any good university for CS, know any okay universities?
Reply 3
Original post by Sykez
Resitting a years limits me from going to any good university for CS

No it doesn't.
Reply 4
Original post by tooosh
No it doesn't.

Oh okay, have you resat a year, what university do you get?
Reply 5
Original post by Sykez
Oh okay, have you resat a year, what university do you get?

I haven't but Computer Science isn't a competitive subject and universities tend to be more lenient on resits than they would for other subjects. Since you haven't got any of the required subjects for CS (ie Maths/Further Maths and preferably a science you do well in) I would recommend you take your resit year not to do chem and bio again, but to start Maths and Further Maths. If you're doing good in IT then keep it. In year 3 when you finish IT A2, you can do an additional AS like Physics. You would probably need to do this if you want to stay at college in year 3 since the government requires you to do 3 subjects for your college to get funding for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tooosh
I haven't but Computer Science isn't a competitive subject and universities tend to be more lenient on resits than they would for other subjects. Since you haven't got any of the required subjects for CS (ie Maths/Further Maths and preferably a science you do well in) I would recommend you take your resit year not to do chem and bio again, but to start Maths and Further Maths. If you're doing good in IT then keep it. In year 3 when you finish IT A2, you can do an additional AS like Physics. You would probably need to do this if you want to stay at college in year 3 since the government requires you to do 3 subjects for your college to get funding for you.

Thanks! I'll probably do Maths Physics A2 ICT. then possibly AS further maths next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending