The Student Room Group

Confused about my choises !

Hello !

I have just received 5 offers from the universities of Bedfordshire, Coventry, Glamorgan, Huddersfield and Derby and as I have seen the UK educational and legal system only on television you might say that I have hit a quite large obstacle.

I want to study the law , aiming for international or international commercial law but I first have to obtain my LLB. That being said my offers are :
Bedfordshire - Law [lots of scholarships, may help me if I fail financially]
Huddersfield - Law [exempting, no LPC for me ?]
Coventry - Commercial Law [London acc-> far too expensive for me ]
Derby - Law comb. with psychology [my two passions combined]
Glamorgan - Law.

I was thinking of choosing Huddersfield because of that "exempting" but after a bit of further research the details seem a little fuzzy.
Is it true that I will not have to follow the LPC after my LLB?

Being an international student will it be hard for me after and LLB to self-fund my future studies? In my country with just a LLB it's like "going in Paris and only staying in your hotel room " type of situation.
Any sort of details and advice on what to expect would be appreciated.

Excuse my English .. final exams year and not top priority !
Thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
If you wish to practice Law, as far as I'm aware the stages are as follows:
LLB -> LPC -> Training Contract -> Employment

Hope that helped.
Original post by DCMihai
Hello !

I have just received 5 offers from the universities of Bedfordshire, Coventry, Glamorgan, Huddersfield and Derby and as I have seen the UK educational and legal system only on television you might say that I have hit a quite large obstacle.

I want to study the law , aiming for international or international commercial law but I first have to obtain my LLB. That being said my offers are :
Bedfordshire - Law [lots of scholarships, may help me if I fail financially]
Huddersfield - Law [exempting, no LPC for me ?]
Coventry - Commercial Law [London acc-> far too expensive for me ]
Derby - Law comb. with psychology [my two passions combined]
Glamorgan - Law.

I was thinking of choosing Huddersfield because of that "exempting" but after a bit of further research the details seem a little fuzzy.
Is it true that I will not have to follow the LPC after my LLB
Being an international student will it be hard for me after and LLB to self-fund my future studies? In my country with just a LLB it's like "going in Paris and only staying in your hotel room " type of situation.
Any sort of details and advice on what to expect would be appreciated.

Excuse my English .. final exams year and not top priority !
Thank you.

The best option would probably be Huddersfield because of the exempting degree. If you intend to become a lawyer this is a good option. However, if Bedfordshire is offering a better financial package/scholarship you should consider that carefully. Glamorgan no longer exists: it merged with Newport and the new institution is the University of South Wales. They also have an exempting LLB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending