Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to be an accountant,
    Is there anything that can help except maths?

You need GCSE maths, that's the only specific qualification you need. There isn't really anything else that can help, but a-levels are quite important so you should try and get as high grades as possible in any acedemic subject.

The main thing is getting a good degree (not necessarily accountancy) from a good university. My Aunt was a senior partner at Deloitte and she did Law at UCL. One of her colleagues did Engineering at Imperial.

I know JS says that Accountancy degrees give you a big advantage in getting an interview and he probably knows more than me. However, you might be interested to know that accountancy graduates actually do worse in the accounting exams, on average, than other graduates.

btw: I have a feeling that you don't know too much about what accountants actually do. There isn't actually that much maths involved. You should probably find out more about it if you intend to apply for an accountancy degree because it isn't very broad, so if you find you hate it, it's a bit limiting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but what work experiance can help?

(Original post by yOUR_dESTINY)
    Thanks, but what work experiance can help?
    How old are you?

There is a chance that you may be able to get work experience placements with the big four firms (Deloitte & Touche, Ernst & Young, KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers), but I think they probably mainly cater for undergraduates. You see, the main purpose behind these schemes is to recruit people and GCSE students are a bit far off for this.

Where I was getting at when I said you don't seem to know what accountancy actually involves is that if you do want to do a degree in accounting, you need to be pretty damn sure that you want to do because there isn't much else you can do with it apart from accounting. On the other hand, if you did physics or history or whatever you're interested in, if you try accountancy and hate it, then you could be a scientist or a historian or something.

if i **** up my a2's and i dont get the ABB for dentistry, then im taking a year out and doing accounting and finance
    thats my back up, i wanted to take a year out anyway

any academic degree will do if you want to study for professional qualifications ( CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA )

the average ACCA member is on around 55 k a year ( aged 24 upwards )

ReputationRep:
    The ACA is regarded as the most prestigious accounting qualification in the world.

damn straight

ReputationRep:
    sorry but i disagree with what you say, Harry. Your telling this girl not to do an accountancy course, when what she wants to do is become an account. What i say girl friend is follow your heart, but if you aint good with figures dont bother. Accountancy is hard but im studying to become one. follow your heart and stay strong. xxx :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billabong)
    sorry but i disagree with what you say, Harry. Your telling this girl not to do an accountancy course, when what she wants to do is become an account. What i say girl friend is follow your heart, but if you aint good with figures dont bother. Accountancy is hard but im studying to become one. follow your heart and stay strong. xxx :confused:
    I wouldn't advise anyone to do an accountancy degree. The qualification isn't hard to get for any graduate who's done a little maths at uni, and it can be a bit of swings and roundabouts as some firms may prefer those with experience outside of accountancy. Plus, you will be a more rounded person yourself if you do something that is not just accountancy.

At the end of the day, if accountancy isn't for you (how is an A-level student going to know this?), then at least there will be other options if you haven't just done an accountancy degree. I know of several people who've done accountancy degrees, but in some cases all it did was convince them they didn't want to be an accountant.

Its the same as people going into a job, then realising that's not what they want to do after a year. Realising this halfway through a degree means that you have potentially wasted a year of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Don't just choose to do accountancy because you think you'll earn loads of money and have a nice house/ car and your life will be perfect! I'm not saying that you are, but many people choose to do one of the 'elite' degree's because all they can see are the pound signs.

Think about what you want to do. Lets face it - accountancy is quite a boring subjuct. Would you want to do it if you earned average wages?

The reason I've said all this is because one day I told my careers teacher I wanted to be an accountant. She asked me the simple question 'what do they do?' When I couldn't answer her i knew it was time to look at what I *really* wanted to do! The only reason I wanted to be an accountant was because I was doing well in school and I heard they earned a lot of money!

Personally I'd rather get up at 7am to go to a job that I enjoyed rather than go to one that I detested and only worked in because it gave me a slightly faster car and a slightly bigger house.

I wonder if I'll still think the same way when I'm 30?

ReputationRep:
    Look into school leaver positions. my friend went into a big firm straight from school and was qualified earning 25k+ at 21 whilst i was a broke student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yOUR_dESTINY)
    I want to be an accountant,
    Is there anything that can help except maths?
    you want to be an accountant? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    To chat with accountancy students from different UK bodies try www.accountancystudents.co.uk

Either leave a message on the discussion forum or pop into the live chat

Regards
    Dan

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.