Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a GCSE student doing the intermediate paper. I have a past paper the teacher has given me to do and I am really stuck on one question. The teacher considers me able and so do I because i get 80%-90% all the time.

Anyway here is the question:
    Complete the pattern
    Pattern Number- 1 2 3 4 5
    No. Of Crosses- 1 5 13 25 41

What is the Nth term i have tried all sorts. The differences are 4,8,12,16 so i know for definate it is n squared but what else.

Please help
    Richard
    P.S thanx for any help in advanced

ReputationRep:
    The pattern is n^2 + (n-1)^2

For example, if n=3, you get

(3^2) + (2^2) = 9 + 4 = 13

Hope this helps,
    Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuedaNT)
    I am a GCSE student doing the intermediate paper. I have a past paper the teacher has given me to do and I am really stuck on one question. The teacher considers me able and so do I because i get 80%-90% all the time.

Complete the pattern

What is the Nth term i have tried all sorts. The differences are 4,8,12,16 so i know for definate it is n squared but what else.

Please help
    Richard
    n^2 + (n-1)^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuedaNT)

Complete the pattern

Please help
    Richard
    n^2+(n-1)^2=2n^2-2n+1

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that, trial and error?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    How do you know that, trial and error?
    well as second difference is same, u know it involves n^2, now see difference between the n^2 value and final value...i noticed that difference between these was a perfect square, which happened to be that of the number below n

wouldnt mind a bit of rep...here and there everybody :-)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.