The Student Room Group

Psychology a2 WJEC py4 help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glindie13
are you sure? because my teacher said that we do need the names otherwise we lose marks for the detail :s-smilie:

i've also been told that you don't need the name's of the researchers/theorists, it's better just to focus on the studies and how they support/contradict
i don't know if this will help anyone but we got told to take a 'sandwich' approach for example, start off by saying if it supports or contradicts, then write out the study and then finish it with how its supports/contradicts.

I'm studying abnormalities, memory, forensics and controversies. I am super nervous for this exam :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by PaulyPocket
i don't know if this will help anyone but we got told to take a 'sandwich' approach for example, start off by saying if it supports or contradicts, then write out the study and then finish it with how its supports/contradicts.

I'm studying abnormalities, memory, forensics and controversies. I am super nervous for this exam :frown:

Im doing those ones to which are you finding the hardest?
are you sure? because my teacher said that we do need the names otherwise we lose marks for the detail :s-smilie:

In PY2 we didn't need to remember them, and I'm fairly sure it's the same now, and to be honest I think the examiners would rather we remembered the actual studies and whether they support or not, than sacrifice this for remembering the names.
Original post by katie182
Im doing those ones to which are you finding the hardest?

in order of easy to hard it would have to be

abnormality/controversies the same
then forensics being my mediocre one
and memory being my best

what about you? xx
Reply 25
in order of easy to hard it would have to be

abnormality/controversies the same
then forensics being my mediocre one
and memory being my best

what about you? xx

easy to hard would be:
forensic
abnormal
controversies
memory

im so nervous for the exam D: xx

That's what I do, it seems to make it easier to remember :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by madders94
That's what I do, it seems to make it easier to remember :smile:

sameee :smile: i just remember it like PEC point example comment :smile:
Currently revising the controversies essays... should be doing Levels of Consciousness because that's my least confident but I really struggle with that one so I'm doing more familiar territory to ease myself back into revision after a weekend away :tongue:
Reply 29
Anyone know what came up in 2012 for adolescence and adulthood?
Reply 30
is anyone writing 3rd theories? Because we got taught to include 3rd theories but we only learn 2 in class so for e.g. discuss nature of dreams we do freud's theory and neurobiological for the main but we are asked to do wider reading for a third theory so it would be something like lucid dreaming.

I don't know if we will be able to write it all in 40 mins including the third theory?
Reply 31
Original post by Ihai
Anyone know what came up in 2012 for adolescence and adulthood?

have a look on the WJEC website for past papers :smile:
it should be there
is anyone writing 3rd theories? Because we got taught to include 3rd theories but we only learn 2 in class so for e.g. discuss nature of dreams we do freud's theory and neurobiological for the main but we are asked to do wider reading for a third theory so it would be something like lucid dreaming.

I don't know if we will be able to write it all in 40 mins including the third theory?

I probably should but I haven't, I know how I'm going to struggle for time anyway in the exam so I tend to just do two, I only do the two for dreaming, two for sleep (evolutionary and restoration) etc. For Abnormal I've been focusing on - Schizophrenia - genetic and Freud, but also mentioning stressful life events and the dopamine hypothesis, and for Depression - genetic and Freud, but also mentioning neurotransmitter dysfunction :smile:
Reply 33
Our teachers always told us to stick to 2, especially for treatment questions. You can add a third, but it's not necessary and I wouldn't go into massive detail :smile: .

have a look on the WJEC website for past papers
it should be there

Sadly they don't post the most recent papers :frown:
Sorry to be a pain but does, anyone know what came up for levels of consciousness and forensic for jan 2012? Can't find the past paper anywhere!
Reply 35
Original post by ihaterevising
Sorry to be a pain but does, anyone know what came up for levels of consciousness and forensic for jan 2012? Can't find the past paper anywhere!

forensic was decisions of juries dont know about the other one sorry

:smile:
Reply 36
ive been re-writing my essays up the past week and then plan to mind map then next week and stuff may 3 a day

was it a total waste of time re-writing my essays and have i just wasted a week, what do you think everyone?
Reply 37
Hi, so basically I have my a2 psychology exam on 18th June and I have to learn 4 topics; relationships, controversies, crime and levels of consciousness. These are for the WJEC exam board.
I have to learn 5 essays essays for each topic and each essay includes; 2 explanations, research studies to support/contradict the theories and strengths and weaknesses.
the exam is 2 and a half hours but we are advised to spend 35-40 mins on each essay and you get marked on a01 (description) and ao2 (evaluation).

I have two teachers and one of my teachers is asking me to write 7 pages with 20 research studies and 4 strengths and 4 weaknesses for each (in 40mins?!) while the other one is telling me to write 3 pages with 6 studies and 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses.I'm worried that with this method i will not write loads and will not get a good grade :frown:
They are telling me different things and i don't know what to do.
I want to get the best possible grade baring in mind that i have to learn all of this too...

Can anyone help me please? :smile:

Am doing WJEC too and done my AS exam for them. is A2 much harder? am doing PY4 then PY3 as that is what my teacher recommended for us. Am doing Memory, level of consciousness and abnormality. are they hard?
Thanks very much! :smile:
Anybody know the full list of questions for the Jan 2012 exam?!

Quick Reply

Latest