The Student Room Group

OCR critical thinking unit 2/f502 29th May 2012 - am

Hi guys, can't find a thread anywhere on this.. so thought id start one. anyone else sitting this exam? any tips on the 2 last questions and section A ? also what are your predicitions on this exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :smile:

I don't know what will come up tomorrow, I've done hardly any revision for it! Was just going to wing it effectively...haha :smile:
I think the last question's the writing your own argument one, yes? Do a plan, annotate your work with (R) for reason, (IC) for intermediate conclusion ect. Include the more complicated argument elements such as analogies and hypothetical reasoning.
For section A + B, learn the definitions of each flaw and all the credibility stuff, as well as basic definitions for each argument element.
I probably ought to start revising...
Yeah pretty much what dragon said. I've been procrastinating since friday but luckily the exam doesn't take much so i'm starting now :0
Reply 4
In terms of the last two questions which require you to develop your own argument - we were taught to do it like this:

R1+R2 = IC1

+R3 = MC

Then add in counter-assertion, which can then be refuted and linked back to MC. Meanwhile adding evidence (e.g. source/witness statements, statistics which can be fictional but believable) also try to include [as dragon keeper999 said] some more advanced features of an argument - like hypothetical reasoning etc.

Hope this helps.

R = reason
IC = intermediate conclusion
MC = main conclusion
Reply 5
Has anyone got the january 2012 paper?
Original post by puddinboy
Has anyone got the january 2012 paper?

I do... I think I've attacked them... first time I've ever tried to do this... :s-smilie:
Reply 7
could anyone give me a definition and example of a principle within an argument? and how it would be identified?

thank you
Reply 8
Original post by jom9
could anyone give me a definition and example of a principle within an argument? and how it would be identified?

thank you

A principle is be a moral code that can be used in more than one situation. For example, "we should never let children come to harm" is a principle because it is one which would be accepted whatever the situation.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 9
i'm in year 11 and have been entered for the exam but i haven't done any past papers and barely any work on the syllabus (1 hour every 2 weeks) so i am just wondering what the grade boundaries are like - high or low? :-)
Grade boundaries are fairly decent, with mid 70s usually being an A. The real problem is understanding what they want you to say, simply because the mark schemes change every year! I've basically written out all the flaws I know of and their definitions, looked briefly at some argument elements, and have an idea of the structure of my last question (very similar to jom9 above). Hopefully that'll be enough!
Reply 11
hi guys. thanks for the jan 2012 paper. wow they had a nice relatable topic. i hope we get one like that.. i.e. something we can relate to so we dont struggle when thinking outside the box. i've learnt all the flaws + appeals . . + the structure of the last 2 questions. . as for section a .. well thats a section that just tests ur skills on arguement elements. section b will tricky depending totally on the topic we get in the resource booklet. hows everyones revision going?
i remembered the flaws like this : Correlation Hasty generalisation Adhomien Tu quoque Slipper slope .. spells out CHATS
and the other one goes like this : Straw person Confusing necessary and suffieceint conditions Restricting options (circular) Arguement Post Hoc Sweeping generalisation .. spells out SCRAPS
:biggrin:
hope that helps.
Original post by jom9
In terms of the last two questions which require you to develop your own argument - we were taught to do it like this:

R1+R2 = IC1

+R3 = MC

Then add in counter-assertion, which can then be refuted and linked back to MC. Meanwhile adding evidence (e.g. source/witness statements, statistics which can be fictional but believable) also try to include [as dragon keeper999 said] some more advanced features of an argument - like hypothetical reasoning etc.

Hope this helps.

R = reason
IC = intermediate conclusion
MC = main conclusion

Do you really need to have two reasons to form your IC?
Original post by stuck18
hi guys. thanks for the jan 2012 paper. wow they had a nice relatable topic. i hope we get one like that.. i.e. something we can relate to so we dont struggle when thinking outside the box. i've learnt all the flaws + appeals . . + the structure of the last 2 questions. . as for section a .. well thats a section that just tests ur skills on arguement elements. section b will tricky depending totally on the topic we get in the resource booklet. hows everyones revision going?
i remembered the flaws like this : Correlation Hasty generalisation Adhomien Tu quoque Slipper slope .. spells out CHATS
and the other one goes like this : Straw person Confusing necessary and suffieceint conditions Restricting options (circular) Arguement Post Hoc Sweeping generalisation .. spells out SCRAPS
:biggrin:
hope that helps.

Awesome! Thanks :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Use Err Name
Awesome! Thanks :smile:

your welcome.. hows revision. ?
Reply 15
Original post by Use Err Name
Do you really need to have two reasons to form your IC?

It's best as it shows you can develop alternative reasoning, just shows a broader range of skills. Same wit adding a counter assertion - it isn't necessary however it separates the more able students.
Reply 16
How was it guys? MCQ I got 4 of B and not a lot of D. How about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
how did u all find it?
Original post by SamHLFC
How was it guys? MCQ I got 4 of B and not a lot of D. How about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I got 4 D, 2 C and alot of B and 4 A I think.
Hey, what did you guys put for the argument element? I was sure that it was evidence and changed it last moment to example as it illustrates it can occur...but there are numbers involved? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest