Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, has anyone has been offered or rejected for a place at Imperial to study Maths?

I had my interview a few weeks ago and I'm still waiting for feedback... are the interviews still going on?

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I've got one on the second of March, so they're still going through the interviews...

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying next year. If you have had an interview, do you mind telling me what they asked you at the interview? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview a couple of weeks ago too... Heard nothing yet...

During the interview they just asked maths questions really...

eg:
    differentiate y=x^x
    series question sum of n x n!

also asked me a bit about my "self taught" as level in further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    I had my interview a couple of weeks ago too... Heard nothing yet...

During the interview they just asked maths questions really...

eg:
    differentiate y=x^x
    series question sum of n x n!
    Do you log both sides and then differentiate? I suppose so.

lny = x lnx

y'/y = lnx + 1

y' = y(lnx + 1)

y' = (x^x)ln x +x^x

or am I being stupid because it's so late and I've got to do a stupid chem paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    Do you log both sides and then differentiate? I suppose so.

lny = x lnx

y'/y = lnx + 1

y' = y(lnx + 1)

y' = (x^x)ln x +x^x

or am I being stupid because it's so late and I've got to do a stupid chem paper?
    that does work, although the way I'd write the right hand side as: then i don't have to bother with differentiating the ln y.

x^x = e^(x ln x)

dy/dx = (ln x + 1) e^(x ln x)
    = x^x + x^x (ln x)

i've got an unconditional to Imperial...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    that does work, although the way I'd write the right hand side as: then i don't have to bother with differentiating the ln y.

x^x = e^(x ln x)

dy/dx = (ln x + 1) e^(x ln x)
    = x^x + x^x (ln x)

i've got an unconditional to Imperial...
    That's pretty good. I've got an interview tom.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty good. I've got an interview tom.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frappucino)
    GOOD LUCK!!!!
    yea thanks... to be fair I can't be bothered with uni stuff anymore. I just want to settle down now. I've been going everywhere and stuff for the last two terms. It's tiring.

ReputationRep:
    yea thanks... to be fair I can't be bothered with uni stuff anymore. I just want to settle down now. I've been going everywhere and stuff for the last two terms. It's tiring.
    i totally feel you! it's just this impatience of mine that will eventually kill me i guess. i'm still waiting for decisions from 7 US colleges i applied to. and they won't be here until april 1. this sucks. i can't make any decisions like this. i have an offer from imperial (dated dec 2003!!) but i haven't responded yet because i want to hear from the others across the lake first...perhaps, we will end up at imperial together...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frappucino)
    i totally feel you! it's just this impatience of mine that will eventually kill me i guess. i'm still waiting for decisions from 7 US colleges i applied to. and they won't be here until april 1. this sucks. i can't make any decisions like this. i have an offer from imperial (dated dec 2003!!) but i haven't responded yet because i want to hear from the others across the lake first...perhaps, we will end up at imperial together...
    What are you planning to do there?

I applied across the lake as well. (Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard - aiming low). I'm not too worried now though, as you can probably guess from my signature. If I get rejected from all of them (expected) then I don't really care. It's their loss.

ReputationRep:
    What are you planning to do there?

I applied across the lake as well. (Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard - aiming low). I'm not too worried now though, as you can probably guess from my signature. If I get rejected from all of them (expected) then I don't really care. It's their loss.
    true...it's easy for you to say so though, having been accepted to oxford...i'm planning on studying biotech w/year in industry, but to tell you the truth, i currently prefer the prestigious US colleges to imperial. but that might change in a minute as it has ever so often...

ReputationRep:
    so i'm assuming you're not even interested in going to imperial, huh?

ReputationRep:
    it's a good safety... very good

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer today

They want:
    A in Maths
    B in Physics
    B in Economics
    B in AS further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    I got my offer today

They want:
    A in Maths
    B in Physics
    B in Economics
    B in AS further maths

Congrats!.... So did I!

A in Maths
    A in Further Maths
    B in Physics

... they didnt even acknowledge that I'm doing Computing A level, lol.

Now the choice between Imperial and Warwick must be made, swaying towards Imperial I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    I got my offer today

They want:
    A in Maths
    B in Physics
    B in Economics
    B in AS further maths
    Woah you have the same a-levels as me! Imperial gave you ABB? you're so lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimBob)
    Congrats!.... So did I!

A in Maths
    A in Further Maths
    B in Physics

... they didnt even acknowledge that I'm doing Computing A level, lol.

Now the choice between Imperial and Warwick must be made, swaying towards Imperial I think...
    congrats to u too

lol they didn't acknowledge my B grade that I already have in AS chemistry either... weird?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from them too. The conditions were:

A in maths
    A in further maths AS
    A in economics
    B in accounting
    Sod the grade I get in politics

I turned them down, I want to go to Manchester instead.

ReputationRep:
    still nothing from Imperial... oh well. My interview started at 3:00 and finished at 4:20. It started with easy stuff, like integrating sinx, then sin squared, then cubed (all went really quick in one liners, which I was pleased about) then I had to integrate sin to the power of n. So I found the formula for decreasing the power of the sin... Then he began going for really serious stuff with integrals, which gave me complex roots in the expansions and stuff. All that after a talk, where they told us the interview will be nice and relaxed and they MIGHT ask us some maths. The hard bit went on for something like 50 mins. So I guess he enjoyed it. I liked Imperial more than Warwick, so until I visit Bath on Wednesday, Imperial is second in my list...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.