Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey. well i wish to join the RAF as a pilot in a couple years, (starting a course in college in sept to get my 2 A levels) anyways i wanted to know if any of youz guys would have any useful info. i needto get fit again, 2 years should cut it and als any ways to improve on the none physical aspect of recruitment? im not to clever haha but im told i have lots of potential. this would be a great help. oh im 19 and you can email me a [email protected]. peace!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by zug)
    hey. well i wish to join the RAF as a pilot in a couple years, (starting a course in college in sept to get my 2 A levels) anyways i wanted to know if any of youz guys would have any useful info. i needto get fit again, 2 years should cut it and als any ways to improve on the none physical aspect of recruitment? im not to clever haha but im told i have lots of potential. this would be a great help. oh im 19 and you can email me a [email protected]. peace!!
    Stop saying "youz guys" for a start or your interview's a lost cause!

If you're "not too clever" I'd worry slightly. You might not need a huge amount of academic intelligence to be a pilot (although it helps; you're not flying single seat fast jets if you're not smart as hell), but you need one hell of a sharp mind in many, many ways.

If you want some help, email me at [email protected], or feel free to post here again and I'll reply.

ReputationRep:
    ok. well obviously i would never dream of going for an interview with that attitude, i am aware this is a very very hard role to fulfill. i left school at sixteen hoping to join the parachute regiment. went for my tests (could have done better) i missed MP by 1 point. i have 2 years to gt myself to the required standard and have every intention of succeeding. i would like some information as to the inteligence aspect of he role. im going to study BTEC ND in public services in sept which is worth 3 A-levels. would this be significant? also i live in lancaster and have heard that work experience in an RAF base would be most helpful when applying. How would i go about this? lastly i wish to appologise for my previous post, i was in a good mood and maybe didnt come across as serious. i am!

ReputationRep:
    just want to get one thing out the way. my computer doent always place the letter on the screen.i can spell. sorry pointless post but it irritates me.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Academically, you need 3 A levels or a degree. I have no idea how they'll look on a National Diploma; in what sense is it worth 3 A levels? If it's not a universal thing, then they might not think it's worth accepting in lieu of 3 A levels for them. If you seriously want to be a military officer above all else, study 3 A levels rather than a BTEC.

ReputationRep:
    academically i dont know if i have the required gcse's to study A-levels. tyou should understand that time was difficult for me. anyway i am kind of depending on the btec being enough. i was told that if i pass with 3 merits that will be significant, although that was by a teacher at the local college. if you find for certain would you please post a reply? i intend to pop into the preston centre on monday (1st march) to enquire. i do hope the btec will be enough otherwise politely put im screwed.sorry. thanks for any available info.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been on the RAF careers website? That looks like it's got some useful information on it.

http://www.rafcareers.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zug)
    academically i dont know if i have the required gcse's to study A-levels. tyou should understand that time was difficult for me. anyway i am kind of depending on the btec being enough. i was told that if i pass with 3 merits that will be significant, although that was by a teacher at the local college. if you find for certain would you please post a reply? i intend to pop into the preston centre on monday (1st march) to enquire. i do hope the btec will be enough otherwise politely put im screwed.sorry. thanks for any available info.
    As far as i'm aware, BTEC is a respectable qualification. I know first hand that the careers advisors at conexions consider it a pluasible option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Have you been on the RAF careers website? That looks like it's got some useful information on it.

http://www.rafcareers.com/
    it is, my little sister wants to join the RAF and didn't leave it for hours. I've noticed that there's a lot of threads where a lot of people have said they want to be pilots in the RAF, personally I'd be terrified as the competition seems really tough...any helpful tips pr areas to improve I could give to my lil sis?

ReputationRep:
    yeah no worries, try join any clubs like cadets and do the DoE award.maths and physics are looked upon as good qualifications (so iv heard on this site). GO TO UNIVERSITY!!!! thats the one major thing im really pissed at myself for. im 19 so if i wish to go to college and uni im too old to apply to be a pilot. being able to multitask and good mental arithmetic. find out about current affairs and the planes. jeese the list is endless. most importantly dont become disheartened because of the competition. im not the most clever person in the world but if its what you really want go for it. hope that helps. oh and you need minimum of two A-levels and 5 gcse including maths and english.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by zug)
    yeah no worries, try join any clubs like cadets and do the DoE award.maths and physics are looked upon as good qualifications (so iv heard on this site). GO TO UNIVERSITY!!!! thats the one major thing im really pissed at myself for. im 19 so if i wish to go to college and uni im too old to apply to be a pilot. being able to multitask and good mental arithmetic. find out about current affairs and the planes. jeese the list is endless. most importantly dont become disheartened because of the competition. im not the most clever person in the world but if its what you really want go for it. hope that helps. oh and you need minimum of two A-levels and 5 gcse including maths and english.
    No, you don't have to go to university at all. It's hard to tell people what to do to get into the military as an officer, because by definition if you have to ask what to do you probably don't have the degree of motiviation nor initiative we're looking for!

I've got no qualms about offering advice on certain aspects of joining, but if you want to have your hand held through the whole process, you're just going to fall apart during selection or training. The RAF want resourceful, intelligent, determined people.

Don't "find out" about current affairs; you need to take a genuine, long term interest in them. Don't "find out" about 'planes,' again you need to find them interesting if you're going to work with them forever! And they're called aircraft; planes are woodworking tools! Maths and physics aren't looked on as good qualifications; as I've said many times on this site they'll help you because you'll understand groundschool better; they won't help you get in.

The competition is tough; there's literally dozens of applicants for every single space. It's not like becoming a doctor or solicitor where all you really need is the qualifications and you'll eventually pass an interview; only the best few percent of applicants finally find the cockpit of a single seat fast jet.

If that idea scares you, then look at your confidence; you need to be a confident person to be a military officer, doubly so to fly, so if you don't have that fine balance between confidence and arrogance then you're maybe less likely to make it.

If you've got any questions, or are after advice about specific hints for passing selection, then please do email me; nothing pleases me more than to help, in a small way, someone genuinely keen on the RAF. Don't ask me to tell you what sports to play or what precisely to say to get in.

Good luck; it's hard, but it's worth it. It pays well and there's no job like it.

[email protected]

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.