Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on how to achieve a high grade in AS Shakespeare coursework. I dont know how i got so low!! I think it was due to lack of focus due to constant nattering by my teacher when we trying to write it!!! Maybe due to me not focusing well enough myself. But i would appreciate the help as the eng lit teachers at my school arent great and i wanna do well. So i'll ask them and you!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you finding english hard? is it a fun subject? or is it really dull? whats it like for workload?

i am thinking of doing it for a level on top of chem, h.biology and maths. but i think it might be too much. i could do somthing else like art, psychology or photography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on how to achieve a high grade in AS Shakespeare coursework. I dont know how i got so low!! I think it was due to lack of focus due to constant nattering by my teacher when we trying to write it!!! Maybe due to me not focusing well enough myself. But i would appreciate the help as the eng lit teachers at my school arent great and i wanna do well. So i'll ask them and you!

Thanks
    Which play are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing much ado about nothing

English lit is great but teacher problem! I study good books and i find it enjoyable. Psychology is good but not as easy as it looks. you need to remember a lot of stuff. Have a look on revision sites to get an idea of the topics you would have to go and check out the teachers.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmmmm so hard

ReputationRep:
    Well this website might be of some help to help you although if you told us the coursework question it would be easier to give more specific help
    http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/muchado/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    I'm doing much ado about nothing

English lit is great but teacher problem! I study good books and i find it enjoyable. Psychology is good but not as easy as it looks. you need to remember a lot of stuff. Have a look on revision sites to get an idea of the topics you would have to go and check out the teachers.
    When I was doing English A-level, I had one teacher who was brilliant and one who was awful. I can hardly remember anything about the bad teacher's lessons now, or even about the books we studied. Having a decent teacher makes such a big difference.

If you're not happy with the standard of teaching, you're just going to have to teach yourself a lot of it. Obviously you should read the course texts, but try to find some reviews of the books in your school library. If you're doing Shakespeare, you'll find lots. Also look for reviews of plays as they will discuss how the director has interpreted the text; you might find that this increases your interest in the subject.

York Notes are also very good, but I'm sure you know that by now. And you can always have a look around on Google.

I did Much Ado but I probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything useful about it now. Have you watched the Kenneth Branagh film? This should help you to see the play as a whole and study how it fits together.

Of course, for a good mark at a-level standard, your essay construction and grammar should be excellent. See the link in my sig for help...

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    try getting hold of the 'Cambrdige students guide to romeo and Juliet'
    some excellent detailed commentry on text and features needed in essay to obtain top grades

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.