Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you want to study law? watch

ReputationRep:
    hey,

this is just a post to all the people on the board that are studying law, or people who plan to study law?

why do you want to study law???

i thought it may be quite interesting to see the number of reasons that people have/will/are studying law for...

thanks

jay

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I only just joined but thought I would post here.

I am in my first year of Law at Cardiff Uni. I orignally wanted to do computing, then realised I was completely fed up with maths and science stuff. I did Law at AS and fell in love with the subject after my first lesson. I was just destined to do Law I guess! I then went on to do the full A Level and applied to do the LLB, now here I am!

As well as enjoying the subject in itself, I also probably want to become a solicitor so a Law degree seemed like a good base for that. We were told in our first lecture though that only 50% of us would join the legal profession, so there are plenty of people here doing Law who wont end up as lawyers themselves. What about all the other law studying people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)

I am in my first year of Law at Cardiff Uni. I orignally wanted to do computing, then realised I was completely fed up with maths and science stuff. I did Law at AS and fell in love with the subject after my first lesson. I was just destined to do Law I guess! I then went on to do the full A Level and applied to do the LLB, now here I am!

As well as enjoying the subject in itself, I also probably want to become a solicitor so a Law degree seemed like a good base for that. We were told in our first lecture though that only 50% of us would join the legal profession, so there are plenty of people here doing Law who wont end up as lawyers themselves. What about all the other law studying people?
    I am doing law Alevel, the AS was really good - the A2 is boring, tho i am assured that it gets better at Uni. I have applied for law with germ and have had 3 offers so far and am still waiting on some. After doing work exp, i felt that a career in law would be a bit tedious 9-7 work sometimes, so after a degree i am thinking about teaching in FE, or doing something combining the law and language side.

ReputationRep:
    I think part of it depends on the teacher, but quite a lot of it is what modules you are taking. We got to do tort (negligence, etc) and criminal (murder, GBH, woo!) at A2, which was all quite interesting. I really feel sorry for the poor people who ended up with contract - not the most exciting of all law subjects!

LLB has been good so far. Here at Cardiff you have to do all the same modules in the first year, but in the second and third you get to pick and do whatever ones you want. You have to include the basic seven subjects to make it a qualifying law degree so you don't have to do the CPE if you want to become a lawyer, but other than that it's a free choice! Anything from Medical Law and Ethics to Land Law to Maritime Law!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)

actually only 30% of people doing a law degree will join law jobs - although this is spread wide, so its closer to 100% in oxbridge and closer to 0% in TVU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    hey,

this is just a post to all the people on the board that are studying law, or people who plan to study law?

why do you want to study law???

i thought it may be quite interesting to see the number of reasons that people have/will/are studying law for...

thanks

jay
    I always knew I wanted to study Law just because I've always found it interesting. Studying A Level Law reaffirmed this for me so I know for definate that I want to study it at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    My mates gonna do law. But apparently, the A level stuff isnt needed to do a degree and some Uni's dont recommend it! Confusing!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.