The Student Room Group

I can't sleep ever! and i have an exam tomorrow!

i can't sleep, i've tried everything. i go to bed between 9-10 and stay in bed with the lights of until around now to around 3. then i have to wake up at 6. during the 4 odd hours i'm in my bed i try to stop myself but i usually go on tsr on my phone or watch youtube videos. i can't stop myself. the problem is that my phone is also my alarm. i did turn it off once and instead i listened to the radio or walked around my house because i was incredibly bored. i also try think like read and have a walk before bed or drink lots of water.

in bed i always think about lots of things in bed which stop me from getting to sleep.

i've got an exam tomorrow at 9 and i'll probably get to sleep by 3 if im lucky then i'll have to wake up at 6.

this insomnia really annoys me. i've told my parents and they just gave tips that were useless. i don't think going to a GP will help me but i'm gong to fail this exam because of tiredness. at school im always tiered and start yawning all the time at around 10. i also feel really sleepy at around 6 which is a terrible time for me to want to go to bed because i wouldn't be able to anyway because of my insomnia.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is no help for tomorrow, but have you considered seeing your GP? Alternatively, you could just try some over-the-counter sleeping tablets.
Ah....Sounds like a problem. All you can really do for now is try sleep for the remaining 4 hours, at least then you won't be as tired as having no sleep. oh, and good luck on your exam :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by marky--mark
This is no help for tomorrow, but have you considered seeing your GP? Alternatively, you could just try some over-the-counter sleeping tablets.

i dont exactly want to take sleeping pills because 1. i may get addicted to them and never get to sleep naturally 2. i am unable to take tablets i can't swallow them i've tried hundreds of times.

i may see a GP but i dont know how they could help me.
Reply 4
Original post by Bleeding Magenta
Ah....Sounds like a problem. All you can really do for now is try sleep for the remaining 4 hours, at least then you won't be as tired as having no sleep. oh, and good luck on your exam :smile:

but i can't i've really tried since like 10 oclock.
You haven't got insomnia. You just lack self control. It's not hard to get into a healthy sleeping pattern, so take responsibility and get into one - stop blaming "insomnia" unless you've been clinically diagnosed with it.

You will not change your pattern in a day or two.
Keeping active, and eating well will improve sleep (try tiring yourself out with a run).
Don't distract yourself with the internet and phone.
Reply 6
I had this problem during the exams I've just sat, its because of your possible messed up sleeping pattern and the excitement/nervousness due to exams.

Don't worry at all, you'll be fine, the adrenaline will get you through but get a coffee if you feel you need one.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr. Tizzy XII
You haven't got insomnia. You just lack self control. It's not hard to get into a healthy sleeping pattern, so take responsibility and get into one - stop blaming "insomnia" unless you've been clinically diagnosed with it.

You will not change your pattern in a day or two.
Keeping active, and eating well will improve sleep (try tiring yourself out with a run).
Don't distract yourself with the internet and phone.

Original post by Miryo
I had this problem during the exams I've just sat, its because of your possible messed up sleeping pattern and the excitement/nervousness due to exams.

Don't worry at all, you'll be fine, the adrenaline will get you through but get a coffee if you feel you need one.

what do you think i should do now then? i probably don't have insomnia but i find it difficult to sleep even when there's no exams i still can't sleep then.

so what should i do now?
Original post by non
i dont exactly want to take sleeping pills because 1. i may get addicted to them and never get to sleep naturally 2. i am unable to take tablets i can't swallow them i've tried hundreds of times.

i may see a GP but i dont know how they could help me.

Well, there's only one way to find out, isn't there?

Besides, with the sleeping tablet thing, you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't unless Dr recommended) take them every night- you'd take them just to establish a sleeping pattern from which you can then sleep naturally. But I guess that still doesn't help if you can't take tablets. :hmmmm:
Reply 9
bump
Reply 10
do some excercise during the day, and really push yourself, you will end up feeling tired and want to get to sleep early. do this for a few days in a row and it will help even your sleeping pattern out
Reply 11
me too! but i can sleep normally when i have no exam:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by sakanaNOme
me too! but i can sleep normally when i have no exam:s-smilie:

i can't even sleep when i don't have any exams :frown:
Reply 13
meditate? try clearing all the thoughts out of your head, especially the 'im going to fail my exam' ones. then go to bed and close your eyes and think about purple elephants or something which makes you sleepy, have no noise at all, or a background noise if it calms you down (like a fan) and get comfortable and warm and get yourself in a sleeping position. good luck :smile:
Hopefully at some point you'll be able to log off tsr and drop of to sleep for an hour. The adrenaline will get you through the exam! Long term you should see your gp.
Reply 15
Original post by Sammy95
meditate? try clearing all the thoughts out of your head, especially the 'im going to fail my exam' ones. then go to bed and close your eyes and think about purple elephants or something which makes you sleepy, have no noise at all, or a background noise if it calms you down (like a fan) and get comfortable and warm and get yourself in a sleeping position. good luck :smile:

the thing is i can't clear my head and the things that i think about aren't related to the exam. for example, what am i going to do after the weekend or after school?
I've had a sleeping problem for over 2 years now, went to my GP a year ago and she gave me a leaflet on things which aid people sleeping, I had already tried these things and none of them had worked :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
I've had a sleeping problem for over 2 years now, went to my GP a year ago and she gave me a leaflet on things which aid people sleeping, I had already tried these things and none of them had worked :frown:

thats what happened to me but tips from family and friends. how do you survive with not getting to sleep for exams?
Reply 18
Hi,

1) do you get enough exercice? Sometimes you just need to get that energy out and balance the 'mental workout' of your brain with a proper physical workout.

2) Do you have a high caffeine intake? If so, it's obvious why you can't fall asleep

3) Aren't you hungry? if you go to bed later than 3-4 hours after your meal/snack you might be starting to feel hungry and that's why you can't sleep

4) What about environment, isn't your room too hot these days as the temperature risen?

5) What do you do before you go to bed? If you sit in from of PC/TV/loud music than that might be the problem, maybe you should try to be in a more calm environment or maybe read a bit (that always make me personally sleep)

6) Do you have a routine of the time when you wake up? If you wake up really late (maybe you have study leave?) than obviously your body doesn't feel tired yet.

I suggest that you don't try to fall asleep because at the end you could wake up VERY tired in the morning. Well, at least staying up all night when I can't fall asleep works for me. I just do anything that I like, watch a film, read, even revise...than I get some caffeine in the morning and healthy breakfast , at least I personally don't eat too much as I would get a cramp in my tummy, no English Breakfast for me those days :frown: I only go for fruit juice, green tea (the caffeine source) - coffee on an empty stomach could also bring you cramps or acid - and some good carbs to give me energy, like porridge or a slice of bread/pastry with jam or honey.

Well, I hope that something from this helps you. I am an insomniac as well, but I assume that you could be just overworked with revision, tense and stressed and this is it, just how your body deals with it.

Let me know whether anything help and don't worry, I'm sure that your exam will go just FINE!!
Original post by non
thats what happened to me but tips from family and friends. how do you survive with not getting to sleep for exams?

I try to get a nap an hour or two before the exam, like today I have an exam at 1pm so I'll probably go to sleep around 10am and wake up a bit later for some last minute revision and then get ready to go to my exam. Even if I'm not tired, I just stay in bed until I eventually fall asleep

Quick Reply

Latest