Biomedicine or Biomedical Sciences Watch

This discussion is closed.
jhadjkura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Whats the difference between the two subjects. First i thought it was just ways different unis call it, however Lancaster does both! So whats the different.
Impend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Biomed and I know quite a few people who are doing biology etc with biomedicine and they're in a lot of our lectures, sooo in the actual work and modules you'll do there isnt a whole lot of different between the two courses, it's where you want to go and what you want to do after uni that differences are. The biomedical science degree is specificaly aimed at people who want to go on to become BMS and work in a path lab, where as you couldnt do that with biomedicine. Basicaly it seems biomedicine is a glorified biology degree, but i dont mean that in a bad way. It has more focus on the human/medical/pathological sides of biology than a traditional biology degree which will include more of the plants/environment stuff. Personally I'd chose biomed over biomedicine because of the specificity towards a career, but thats just me. If you read on the Lancaster Biomedical and Life Sceinces wedsite it says ''Our new Biomedicine BSc (Hons) degree will offer more flexibility than our alternative IBMS-accredited Biomedical Science degree (B990) allowing students to tailor the second and third years of their course more effectively to their personal interests within the field''. On biomed we dont get to chose what modules we take because we have to know certain things and have a certain amount of training/teaching for the degree to be accreditied and go on to be a BMS, because biomedicine doesnt lead to that pathway you have more flexability so you can chose the modules you're more interested in, which will obviously be better for some people.
Hope that helps!
jhadjkura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Impend)
I'm doing Biomed and I know quite a few people who are doing biology etc with biomedicine and they're in a lot of our lectures, sooo in the actual work and modules you'll do there isnt a whole lot of different between the two courses, it's where you want to go and what you want to do after uni that differences are. The biomedical science degree is specificaly aimed at people who want to go on to become BMS and work in a path lab, where as you couldnt do that with biomedicine. Basicaly it seems biomedicine is a glorified biology degree, but i dont mean that in a bad way. It has more focus on the human/medical/pathological sides of biology than a traditional biology degree which will include more of the plants/environment stuff. Personally I'd chose biomed over biomedicine because of the specificity towards a career, but thats just me. If you read on the Lancaster Biomedical and Life Sceinces wedsite it says ''Our new Biomedicine BSc (Hons) degree will offer more flexibility than our alternative IBMS-accredited Biomedical Science degree (B990) allowing students to tailor the second and third years of their course more effectively to their personal interests within the field''. On biomed we dont get to chose what modules we take because we have to know certain things and have a certain amount of training/teaching for the degree to be accreditied and go on to be a BMS, because biomedicine doesnt lead to that pathway you have more flexability so you can chose the modules you're more interested in, which will obviously be better for some people.
Hope that helps!
Thanks. Thats helped me a lot. And i'm going to do graduate entry medicine after, so either are fine. Ty.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
King george
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what does biomed stand for ? - biomedicine or biomedical science

thankyou in advance
Yaseen_27i
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jhadjkura)
Thanks. Thats helped me a lot. And i'm going to do graduate entry medicine after, so either are fine. Ty.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Hi, I am so confused in choosing between the two courses to start in September. I too want to do medicine after biomedicine/ biomedical science degree. Which biomedicine/ biomedical science do you need to study to get into medicine. Which one did you do?Much appreciated!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (286)
15.15%
The paper was reasonable (1048)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (409)
21.66%
It was TERRIBLE (145)
7.68%

Watched Threads