Turn on thread page Beta

Random drugs testing in schools? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    no offence, but that is one of the dumbest suggestions I've ever read. don't take it personally, we all say stupid stuff, but that was more than stupid.

if we could refuse, wouldn't only the clean people be tested?
    But I am clean - I see it as a breach of human rights, so if I refuse they assume I'll have done drugs recently... doesn't seem fair. I see how it sounds dumb though No but seriously can they force you to have a drugs test? Anyone who knows me knows I've never done drugs and am never going to - I've never even smoked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I don't know - I doubt it, as it'll be the parents who pay, but you never know. Do you reckon you can refuse to be tested?
    I very much doubt it, - or everyone who had taken anything would just refuse and the whole thing would be a complete farce.

(Original post by eric bischoff)
    tests in school?

it sounds stupid.I have exams and there the only tests im doing
    lol!! I agree. One of my friends comes to school stoned sometimes, but he still works pretty hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    lol!! I agree. One of my friends comes to school stoned sometimes, but he still works pretty hard.

I remember in my GCSE art class a boy came in stoned and scribbled black oil pastel over a portrait he had worked on for days, saying he "feels dark today".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I remember in my GCSE art class a boy came in stoned and scribbled black oil pastel over a portrait he had worked on for days, saying he "feels dark today".
    thats kind of tight and funny.He must of been annoyed when he was fine again

ReputationRep:
    a year 7 got caught peddling today and tomorow all of yr 7 have a drug test! wowee. if it comes to it that my year have to have a rnadom one im going to refuse and see what happens. i have never done drugs and dont see why i should do this. it is a direct invasion of the self without cause. find another way to stop drugs in schools. this is a breach of civil liberty. or something.

Yeah, maybe if it were a breathaliser or something, but they can't make you give a urine sample.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt realise some schools actually do this already! im glad they havent tried doing it in my school i think around half the 6th form would be caught!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had drug testing in their school yet? - is it blood tests? breathalisers (sp?), urine tests or what?

ReputationRep:
    I heard about these tests from the news and my teachers....my school will be having them sometime in the future, but obviously they can't put as date as anyone taking drugs wouldn't that particular day.

I know in my school that several students in all year groups come to school stoned, although they don't necessarly take the drugs on school premises. Also many of those students don't do the work, and you can tell they are not 'their normal self'.

I wouldn't refuse because I have nothing to hide. But I can see why some of you are saying you would refuse.

(Original post by Bitewing)
    Has anyone had drug testing in their school yet? - is it blood tests? breathalisers (sp?), urine tests or what?
    I think it has to be done by urine or blood test.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they give urine samples but they don't have to be watched, so the druggies are just getting samples from clean students and passing them off as their own. I doubt any children will be forced to pee infront of a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Bizarre! I've never heard about any doing that sort of thing stoned. Are you sure it was cannabis he was on?

ReputationRep:
    Breathalisers would be a bit useless for anything except alcohol, I assume it would be urine samples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Breathalisers would be a bit useless for anything except alcohol, I assume it would be urine samples.
    Yeah, I thought that after I'd written it! Has anything been publisised regarding what actually happens? Would they have to give samples there and then, or given a little container the day before!?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought that after I'd written it! Has anything been publisised regarding what actually happens? Would they have to give samples there and then, or given a little container the day before!?!
    I think it would be a then+there arrangement, otherwise it would be far too easy to just give someone else's. Though how they can guarantee everyone'll have something to give is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be a then+there arrangement, otherwise it would be far too easy to just give someone else's. Though how they can guarantee everyone'll have something to give is beyond me.
    There could end up with a urine black market in schools... that could be interesting!

ReputationRep:
    There could end up with a urine black market in schools... that could be interesting!
    There already is one, just not in schools. You can buy urine samples over the net, y'know - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1467.
    Apparently - though this may well be just an urban legend - a boy once had to go for a urine test for some sports thing, and although he came back totally free of all drugs, they discovered he was pregnant! The person he'd bought his sample off obviously hadn't thought of that problem, and the boy was nicked for cheating. So beware who you buy off!

ReputationRep:
    There already is one, just not in schools. You can buy urine samples over the net, y'know.
    Apparently - though this may well be just an urban legend - a boy once had to go for a urine test for some sports thing, and although he came back totally free of all drugs, they discovered he was pregnant! The person he'd bought his sample off obviously hadn't thought of that problem, and the boy was nicked for cheating. So beware who you buy off!
    Never realised that! Could be a good business venture if I get a little short of cash! It would be very dodgy buying samples off the net, - you wouldn't have a clue whether those samples were free from drugs or not until it was too late, ad you could end up getting done for taking something worse!

ReputationRep:
    Never realised that! Could be a good business venture if I get a little short of cash! It would be very dodgy buying samples off the net, - you wouldn't have a clue whether those samples were free from drugs or not until it was too late, ad you could end up getting done for taking something worse!
    True - I'd never trust it myself.
    Then again, I'm not sure if this drugs testing will ever some in.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.