Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Considering a career with McDonalds - advice?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Might sound stupid, but considering a career with McDonalds/fast food.

I've heard the stories of people joining as Crew Members and working their way up to managers positions pretty quickly which would be good. I like dealing with customers and being in fast paced environments so it does look to be a good option.

But there's still that doubt in my mind, that 'it's McDonalds' and isn't a full time job.

What to do?

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own, so it's difficult to say. However I'd personally advise you to think of it more as a stepping stone to something better. That said, McDonalds is obviously a huge company which I'm sure has lots of fantastic positions, but I don't personally believe working within the actual restaurant would be very fulfilling.

ReputationRep:
    mcdonalds once you get past frier jockey or burger monkey and it to management is very well paid
    from what I hear, so I say go for

skills you will gain
    working to set targets
    mass volume
    there are many more and you can move to what is seen as a better class of high volume establishment
    and on to area management or corporate
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    First, you need to get a crewmember job there. Then you need to like it enough to want to get good at it - all of it. You then need to get good at it. Then you tart to think whether there is a future you might want to go for.

I've worked for them and have a couple of friends who are management. They worked damned hard and put in a lot of hours, but none of them thought anything of a career until they had worked there and got to understand the basics. Take it one step at a time and get a job there first before you plan on running the show.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.