The Student Room Group

I failed my AS Levels....TWICE I think. I need some advice on what to do with myself.

Hi everyone, I have absolutely no one to talk to about this...So maybe the community on here will have some ideas and hopefully this thread will be of some help to all the other confused souls..

My situation is probably more common than I would think, yet I still feel rubbish about myself.

I won't go into too much detail about my life story and I don't want this to sound like a sob story. I have failed my AS levels last year, I got UUUU! All that with a 100% attendance! My mind was in the wrong place, it's not an excuse, but I just couldn't believe in myself and in my ability to pass the exams.

So this year I enrolled on yet another set of AS levels at a different college and I have a feeling that I am probably going to fail them...AGAIN. Actually I'm pretty sure about that. Maybe I won't get UUUU, but somewhere in the DDEE region...

First time around I did Economics, Maths, History and Philosophy...This year I have chosen Psychology, Sociology, English lang&lit and Maths...

Looking back now I realise that I should not have repeated the year with similar subjects but it seemed a good idea back then and I was just happy to be accepted for retakes at another college.

I am turning 19 in a few days and I have no idea what to do with my life. I am not originally from the UK, I'm from ****** and I have suffered in London since the day I arrived here (5 years ago). I can't deal with how hectic and fast-paced london is and how horrible and gloomy the weather is all the time. Now I'm stuck, I cannot go back to finish my education in my home country and I seem to be trapped in the loop of being a never ending student. I probably can't apply to a university even if I chose to do an access course (i'm interested in a business related degree) next september as I do not have any ''life experience'' and I will not even be classified as a mature student by the end of the course as I will only be 20. No decent universities will accept me with my educational record and I just don't know what to do!!! I see no way out atm. Getting a job without a degree and A levels seems impossible in the current economic climate!
I really want to travel, have fun build a career and earn good money, but it just seems so impossible right now.

It probably doesn't help that apart from having a few college buddies I have no friends, no one to even go out with and celebrate the end of exams!!!!..I never have/had this problem back home! I'm a social person and I feel so lonely and frustrated.

Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who read it! Sorry about my negativity too, I wish I had a different outlook on life.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

maybe you're just not cut out for education. Try getting an apprenticeship or something
Reply 2
I think i got an DEU

54 marks in D1
30 marks in M1
35 marks in fp1

what grade would that be, using today grade boundary
Reply 3
Original post by ME RASHED
I think i got an DEU

54 marks in D1
30 marks in M1
35 marks in fp1

what grade would that be, using today grade boundary

Most likely grade D/E

-Putch =)
Reply 4
University fees= 9000 quid

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO DO A DEGREE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO JOB PROSPECTS AND SUFFER IN STUDENT DEBT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You really shouldn't have come to the UK if you couldn't deal with the education system (sorry to be so harsh), I suggest that you go back to your native country and build up foundations there. I'm sure you'll be happy as a result!
Reply 5
Original post by momo26396

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO DO A DEGREE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO JOB PROSPECTS AND SUFFER IN STUDENT DEBT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You really shouldn't have come to the UK if you couldn't deal with the education system (sorry to be so harsh), I suggest that you go back to your native country and build up foundations there. I'm sure you'll be happy as a result!

What the hell??? I have a life here now, how am I supposed to move back, there is no way I can build a foundation there now? You snob. How was I supposed to know what the education system is like here, especially at 13 !!!!!

What do you mean SUFFER in student debt. It's not exactly suffering when you're paying back 5% of your salary a month. You're still earning more money than you would without a degree
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I agree with above... An apprenticeship sounds like a better path for you....depending on what you want to do
Original post by momo26396

will be more than 9k hes not a uk/eu national!

OP failing your as's twice ought to tell you that you arent suitable for studying at uni.. full attendance means nothing unless you benefit and learn from being in lessons
Reply 8
Original post by littlemissmidget123
will be more than 9k hes not a uk/eu national!

But the OP has lived in the UK for 5 years.
Original post by OU Student
But the OP has lived in the UK for 5 years.

doesnt make you a national - you need to do citizenship tests etc etc to become one it takes years id imagine

EDIT - i just looked 5 years and you can apply to be a national which takes months of paperwork.. so the OP could apply I suppose.. but either way 9k is a lot of fees to be paying plus living costs etc and well student finance may/may not be an option id how that would work its got to be expensive too.. and you need to provide various test results etc proving you are suitable for becoming a national
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by littlemissmidget123
doesnt make you a national - you need to do citizenship tests etc etc to become one it takes years id imagine

EDIT - i just looked 5 years and you can apply to be a national which takes months of paperwork.. so the OP could apply I suppose.. but either way 9k is a lot of fees to be paying plus living costs etc and well student finance may/may not be an option id how that would work

Where you live
To qualify for student finance as a student from England, you will need to meet all of the residence requirements. Generally, on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you must:
be a UK national or have 'settled status' in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971)
be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England
have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education

Source - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_171574

read into it a bit more and youll get a list of documents you need - they include various certificates for language proficiency and knowing about the uk etc.
Reply 12
Apprenticeship may be the correct path... As others have said.
I'm kinda in the same situation as you! If I fail again then I'll have to do a foundation course or something like that :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
I'm a girl everyone lol.. And I'm from an EU country you guys, so I do not need to pay international fees once I have been a resident for more than three years :smile:))

An apprenticeship is a long route.. A degree just opens up so many more doors. I don't know.

Would any uni even accept me after having failed twice at AS if I did an access course?? I'm interested in a business related degree.

What if I just don't tell them that I did AS before?
Reply 14
Original post by Yolofied
Apprenticeship may be the correct path... As others have said.
I'm kinda in the same situation as you! If I fail again then I'll have to do a foundation course or something like that :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Oh God this sucks. Are you failing AS or A2 as well? Did you know that you usually need at least one or two full a levels to do a foundation course? Or relevant experience in the field you're interested in.
Do you know why exactly you keep getting those results? Do you reckon you are capable of doing well but keep being hindered by mental health issues, such as depression perhaps? If so, you should probably find a way to sort that out before trying to continue next in your education.
Reply 16
Original post by trappedin

OK, a few suggestions:

BTEC Extended Diploma in Business or IT (ask your current school / college if they offer it - if you are over 19 when you start you may have to pay registration fees but I THINK it's not that much ~£200? I have to doublecheck this though.)

Apprenticeship - Business Administration, Legal Services, Accounting may be good options. Business Administration is a really generic apprenticeship though; something like Accounting may have better prospects.

Open University - get a job (any job) and study with the OU for a degree while you work. You could even combine that with an apprenticeship. I would recommend this more fervently if OU tuition fees hadn't increased so much. You might be eligible for the normal student loan though.
Reply 17
You seem so set that getting a degree will mean you have a better job. You do realise this is not always true? Especially in this climate it might actually be better for you to get a job, start low and work your way up. This is particularly true for business so you can get a feel for how they run etc. With this job you could move out of london into a quieter area if you don't like it there.
You seeme like an intelligent person by your posts- can't really understand how you are failing so badly. Maybe its the pressure that is getting to you. I would definitely suggest having a discussion with a councillor- maybe first port of call would be your GP.
Could it be your not trying hard? Maybe a private tutor could help you at school i think you should consider this. Also failing your AS twice isn't a problem so much because if you resat the subjects and got higher grades they will be on your UCAS application the universities will probably make you an offer based on your predicted grades.

Imo, you should work on the subjects more with your classmates and try harder outside of lessons, as Sixth formers you should be doing 15 hours at least of independent student per week - going up to 30 hours per week leading up to exams.

Hope this helps.

Latest