Monzystar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm still in yr 12 but just wondering which uni in UK is best to study psychology. any suggestions as I want to go to an excellent uni which would suit my style. please do help!

oh and how would I write a psychology personal statement?! I just don't know how to start of. :confused:
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Without knowing your style, it's impossible to guess. Oxford and Cambridge obviously come to mind as being prestigious, but there are many other top unis like York, bath, ucl, Bristol, etc. check league tables.

As for the PS, check the links in my sig below
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What is your style? Then we can help :P

Personal statements really just show why you want to study psychology, and why you would be a good candidate. Its not easy to write for anyone though...
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
UCL came top in the league tables this year for psychology

But it really depends on what you want - social sciences based, applied, year abroad/work placement, combined with natural sciences or just straight up psychology? (and I'm sure there are many other variations that I've missed out)
Monzystar
Rep:
?
My style of learning is through practical, technology and writing. As for Oxford and Cambridge I dont think they'll accept me! for my AS levels at the moment I have achieved all A's but for my GCSE i only got 2A*, 6B and 4C.
I want "straight up psychology" or maybe even combined with natural sciences. its too hard to pick
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Monzystar)
My style of learning is through practical, technology and writing. As for Oxford and Cambridge I dont think they'll accept me! for my AS levels at the moment I have achieved all A's but for my GCSE i only got 2A*, 6B and 4C.
I want "straight up psychology" or maybe even combined with natural sciences. its too hard to pick
Well cambridge do the natsci course where you can then go into psychology. And while your GCSEs are lower than average for an oxbridge applicant, it doesn't rule you out from the competition.

I can only really tell you about UCL in depth as it's where I go - they are very heavy on the practical side where you take part in experiments throughout the year both for understanding how they work and also as lab reports. There are great links here for human computer interaction - with modules, internships and MSc links. As well as other modules such as 'computing for psychologists'. We do a lab report once a fortnight and essays in seminars. The rest of the modules are exam based - mostly essay exams but a few are multiple choice and stats also has a practical element of assessment.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

GCSES don't really matter for your application on the whole, although you have to do well at A Level and actually show some enthusiasm for the subject rather than for getting into oxbridge if you wanted to apply. Psychology + Biology/Neuroscience would be a good route if you want to understand the more biological aspects, aswell as the behavioural side. You can do psychology in three different degrees depending on the extent to which you want to focus on social/biological stuff.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you'll find that many degrees have an emphasis on the practical side, doing experiments and using technology for that (e.g. at York, the majority of my practicals were based in the computer lab at uni) and you use computers for data analysis
MrHappy_J
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oxford, Cambridge, UCL.
MrHappy_J
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My style of learning is through practical, technology and writing. As for Oxford and Cambridge I dont think they'll accept me! for my AS levels at the moment I have achieved all A's but for my GCSE i only got 2A*, 6B and 4C. I want "straight up psychology" or maybe even combined with natural sciences. its too hard to pick
oh dear that's the end of the world then isnt it?!! :eek3:

kidding. in all seriousness though, work really hard and get all A*s and As at A2 and you should stand a good chance of getting interviewed. You're already on the right track if you got all As for AS. Oh dear that looks confusing.
Monzystar
Rep:
?
ah thanks guys that sure did help and I'll definitely will do my best in getting A*'s in A2, I have already started studying by myself. once again Thank you all!!
Jackkkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm still in yr 12 but just wondering which uni in UK is best to study psychology. any suggestions as I want to go to an excellent uni which would suit my style. please do help!

oh and how would I write a psychology personal statement?! I just don't know how to start of. :confused:
League tables can only tell you so much, reputation is more important I think as places such as st andrews perform low, but reputation is outstanding ! If you want to follow an Experimental route so natural science and statistics playing a large part then Oxford, Bristol, UCL and Cambridge (NatSci) are all good options. For clinical psychology Royal Holloway, Bath and Exeter perform well. For Cognitive Neuroscience look into Nottingham, UCL and Bristol. Social psychology look at Exeter, St Andrews and Cambridge. If your into developmental psychology then Royal Holloway and Cardiff are all good choices, as well as Durham. For general courses that cover a broad spectrum look at York, Bath, Exteter and Royal Holloway.
make sure you look into modules, as for example at Bristol there is NO psychodynamic or forensic psychology, at Exeter there is little focus on te biological side but large focus on clinical practise.

Hope this helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Monzystar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackkkkk)
League tables can only tell you so much, reputation is more important I think as places such as st andrews perform low, but reputation is outstanding ! If you want to follow an Experimental route so natural science and statistics playing a large part then Oxford, Bristol, UCL and Cambridge (NatSci) are all good options. For clinical psychology Royal Holloway, Bath and Exeter perform well. For Cognitive Neuroscience look into Nottingham, UCL and Bristol. Social psychology look at Exeter, St Andrews and Cambridge. If your into developmental psychology then Royal Holloway and Cardiff are all good choices, as well as Durham. For general courses that cover a broad spectrum look at York, Bath, Exteter and Royal Holloway.
make sure you look into modules, as for example at Bristol there is NO psychodynamic or forensic psychology, at Exeter there is little focus on te biological side but large focus on clinical practise.

Hope this helps

wow this definitely helped! thanks
Jackkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow this definitely helped! thanks
No problem, I did a load of research before I applied last year so if you have any questions your more than welcome to ask

Monzystar
Rep:
?
No problem, I did a load of research before I applied last year so if you have any questions your more than welcome to ask

May I ask whether you do psychology in uni?
Jackkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
May I ask whether you do psychology in uni?
I'm in year 13 at the moment but I have firmed Bristol for Psychology as I'm really into the experimental side of the subject

Monzystar
Rep:
?
I'm in year 13 at the moment but I have firmed Bristol for Psychology as I'm really into the experimental side of the subject

wow good luck in that! I cant wait to go into yr 13, is it hard as people say?
Jackkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow good luck in that! I cant wait to go into yr 13, is it hard as people say?
Thanks well I find AS harder than A2 but then that's probably because most subjects descend into longer answers/essays which I prefer ! What sort of psychology are you most interested in ?

Monzystar
Rep:
?
Thanks well I find AS harder than A2 but then that's probably because most subjects descend into longer answers/essays which I prefer ! What sort of psychology are you most interested in ?

I prefer doing experiments!! I enjoy the biological, cognitive and behavioural side of psychology. psycho-dynamic is just bollacks to me!! what about you?
Jackkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I prefer doing experiments!! I enjoy the biological, cognitive and behavioural side of psychology. psycho-dynamic is just bollacks to me!! what about you?
I agree with you there biological side is great - I also like neuroscience aspects and behavioural like yourself. Yeah psychodynamic is interesting but not something I see as 'proper' psychology, thus I picks Bristol that don't teach it

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads