Poll: Gcse Grades you have (if you have recieved Oxbridge offers only)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ABCD
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
If you have recieved an offer from oxbridge, can you take part in this poll so we know the range of results from gcse, and how much they take into account your gcse grades.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ABCD)
If you have recieved an offer from oxbridge, can you take part in this poll so we know the range of results from gcse, and how much they take into account your gcse grades.
There've been many many Oxbridge GCSE threads already.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Apply to Oxbridge if you think you're good enough. Yes, GCSE's are important, but not that important.

J.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You do two separate GCSEs for English though, Lit and Lang.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ABCD)
i never knew that so many people get offers for oxbridge with 3-4a*, thats if the results are accurate ofcourse :rolleyes:
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
i never knew that so many people get offers for oxbridge with 3-4a*, thats if the results are accurate ofcourse :rolleyes:
GCSE: 4 A*, 2A, 1 B, 2 C
A Level: AAC (with an extra A in an AVCE)
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
Yes, here they're graded as a single subject with two papers.

I think we do three papers for EACH (as I remember).
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
GCSE: 4 A*, 2A, 1 B, 2 C
A Level: AAC (with an extra A in an AVCE)
impressive - any chance you are from a state school - because to be honest, i dont find many people from public school/independent school with 3-4a* going to oxbridge :confused:
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One of the 3a*'s people is me.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
impressive - any chance you are from a state school - because to be honest, i dont find many people from public school/independent school with 3-4a* going to oxbridge :confused:
That's really harsh. I got 4A* 4A 3B and I know plenty of independent school students who got similar grades or less who are here now.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
One of the 3a*'s people is me.
same question for you?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to a state school but was exceptionally up against it. I'm just glad for interviews where grades become practically irrelevant.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
That's really harsh. I got 4A* 4A 3B and I know plenty of independent school students who got similar grades or less who are here now.
how was i being harsh! these are good grades but it is just that from like last year of my school only people with 10a* got in! :confused:
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
same question for you?
No, I got them in IGCSE's at the International School of Geneva. Judging by the feedback they sent, they were only interested in my personal statement, the standard of my written work and my performance at interview. My IGCSE's weren't mentioned.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how was i being harsh! these are good grades but it is just that from like last year of my school only people with 10a* got in! :confused:
By propagating the "positive discrimination" myth.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
People with 10A*'s from my school were rejected. That's the way it works sometimes...
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would suggest that if you did a poll for the GCSE results of people who were rejected by Oxbridge you would get very similar results to this poll -- almost everyone who applies to Oxbridge has at least a few A*s, and the exact number won't make a huge difference to someone's application.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I would suggest that if you did a poll for the GCSE results of people who were rejected by Oxbridge you would get very similar results to this poll -- almost everyone who applies to Oxbridge has at least a few A*s, and the exact number won't make a huge difference to someone's application.
surely 3a* and 7as and 10a* is a big difference? and yet there seem to be more 3a* 7as accepted at oxbridge than 10a*?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If exams were everything they wouldn't bother to interview.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
If exams were everything they wouldn't bother to interview.
no thats not what im sayingg - it is just that i think most of us expected that as more a* you have the more likely chance you have of getting into oxbridge - i think this is pretty rational. But now it seems that as long as you have 3a* or more you have as much chance as those who have 10a*?
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Evidently a multitude of A*s at GCSE doesn't mean much. I got 100% for all my GCSE and AS modules for English (my degree) so I expect that countered my *measly* 5 non-A*s.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (30)
18.4%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (49)
30.06%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (84)
51.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed