Turn on thread page Beta

Poll: Gcse Grades you have (if you have recieved Oxbridge offers only) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you have recieved an offer from oxbridge, can you take part in this poll so we know the range of results from gcse, and how much they take into account your gcse grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCD)
    If you have recieved an offer from oxbridge, can you take part in this poll so we know the range of results from gcse, and how much they take into account your gcse grades.
    There've been many many Oxbridge GCSE threads already.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Apply to Oxbridge if you think you're good enough. Yes, GCSE's are important, but not that important.

J.

ReputationRep:
    You do two separate GCSEs for English though, Lit and Lang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCD)
    i never knew that so many people get offers for oxbridge with 3-4a*, thats if the results are accurate ofcourse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i never knew that so many people get offers for oxbridge with 3-4a*, thats if the results are accurate ofcourse :rolleyes:
    GCSE: 4 A*, 2A, 1 B, 2 C
    A Level: AAC (with an extra A in an AVCE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Yes, here they're graded as a single subject with two papers.

I think we do three papers for EACH (as I remember).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    GCSE: 4 A*, 2A, 1 B, 2 C
    A Level: AAC (with an extra A in an AVCE)
    impressive - any chance you are from a state school - because to be honest, i dont find many people from public school/independent school with 3-4a* going to oxbridge :confused:

ReputationRep:
    One of the 3a*'s people is me.

ReputationRep:
    impressive - any chance you are from a state school - because to be honest, i dont find many people from public school/independent school with 3-4a* going to oxbridge :confused:
    That's really harsh. I got 4A* 4A 3B and I know plenty of independent school students who got similar grades or less who are here now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    One of the 3a*'s people is me.
    same question for you?

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school but was exceptionally up against it. I'm just glad for interviews where grades become practically irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    That's really harsh. I got 4A* 4A 3B and I know plenty of independent school students who got similar grades or less who are here now.
    how was i being harsh! these are good grades but it is just that from like last year of my school only people with 10a* got in! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    same question for you?
    No, I got them in IGCSE's at the International School of Geneva. Judging by the feedback they sent, they were only interested in my personal statement, the standard of my written work and my performance at interview. My IGCSE's weren't mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    how was i being harsh! these are good grades but it is just that from like last year of my school only people with 10a* got in! :confused:
    By propagating the "positive discrimination" myth.

ReputationRep:
    People with 10A*'s from my school were rejected. That's the way it works sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that if you did a poll for the GCSE results of people who were rejected by Oxbridge you would get very similar results to this poll -- almost everyone who applies to Oxbridge has at least a few A*s, and the exact number won't make a huge difference to someone's application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I would suggest that if you did a poll for the GCSE results of people who were rejected by Oxbridge you would get very similar results to this poll -- almost everyone who applies to Oxbridge has at least a few A*s, and the exact number won't make a huge difference to someone's application.
    surely 3a* and 7as and 10a* is a big difference? and yet there seem to be more 3a* 7as accepted at oxbridge than 10a*?

ReputationRep:
    If exams were everything they wouldn't bother to interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    If exams were everything they wouldn't bother to interview.
    no thats not what im sayingg - it is just that i think most of us expected that as more a* you have the more likely chance you have of getting into oxbridge - i think this is pretty rational. But now it seems that as long as you have 3a* or more you have as much chance as those who have 10a*?

ReputationRep:
    Evidently a multitude of A*s at GCSE doesn't mean much. I got 100% for all my GCSE and AS modules for English (my degree) so I expect that countered my *measly* 5 non-A*s.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.