Turn on thread page Beta

Poll: Gcse Grades you have (if you have recieved Oxbridge offers only) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    it could be that from state schools they expect 3 A*s and from independant schools they expect 10A*'s..

also has anyone noticed that in a state school you are likely to take bout 10/11 gcses whereas the in independant schools 9/10 are taken? unless people learn out side classes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogs)
    it could be that from state schools they expect 3 A*s and from independant schools they expect 10A*'s..

also has anyone noticed that in a state school you are likely to take bout 10/11 gcses whereas the in independant schools 9/10 are taken? unless people learn out side classes?
    well i am in an independant school at i took 12 subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogs)
    No. I took 13; the norm was between 10-12. This was an independent school.

I don't think the grades they expect vary much depending on what school you went to, although they may take it into account.

I think the reason there are more people with offers who have 3 A*s than 10 is that more people overall get 3 A*s. Perhaps (I don't know) a higher percentage of people with 10 get in; perhaps they don't. Assuming that people with 3 have the potential, GCSE grades aren't that important when comparing strings of As/A*s. Without knowing the percentages of people who get in relative to the numbers of A*s they get at GCSEs, it's impossible to make any fair assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    Someone from my (state) school last year got 11 A* and was rejected, so GCSEs really cant count for that much in the selection process and oxbridge doesn't necessarily favour state school students with slightly lower grades than those from public schools. when it comes down to it GCSEs are an indicator of effort and not only intelligence and to get A*s is within the reach of a lot of people if they do some work.

ReputationRep:
    I started at an independant school at the beginning of sixth form and was really suprised that people only had 9 GCSE's even though they were at high levels! however that is only my school! (it's probally to keep its status on the league tables!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    No, I got them in IGCSE's at the International School of Geneva. Judging by the feedback they sent, they were only interested in my personal statement, the standard of my written work and my performance at interview. My IGCSE's weren't mentioned.
    I went to one of these schools in Moscow 5 years ago and IGCSE's are crap to be fair. Things like the sciences are infinitely easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I went to one of these schools in Moscow 5 years ago and IGCSE's are crap to be fair. Things like the sciences are infinitely easier.
    Which are easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Which are easier?
    The IGCSEs are much easier than the GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    damn right

ReputationRep:
    I thought IGCSE's were harder and you had to learn more stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I thought IGCSE's were harder and you had to learn more stuff...

no igcses are very easy

ReputationRep:
    I did Scottish S-Grades/Highers (fourth and fifth year = your fifth/L6) and got 8 1's in my S Grades (just below GCSE) and 5 A1s in my Highers (same/just above AS's, not modular).

But nobody minds. If you think you're bright enought, just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    no igcses are very easy
    You've taken both?

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not the impression I've gotten from looking at the individual papers, the way they are marked, the percentage of people achieving high grades and at the results and opinion of the schools which offer both. Both are equally irrelevant when it comes to Oxbridge admittance though.

ReputationRep:
    no igcses are very easy
    I suppose it depends on which IGCSEs you take, and which board, but one of the reasons we used to do them at my school (I was the last year to do so) was that they provided a better bridge between GCSE and AS/A2 level. Some of the things in Chemistry IGCSE didn't come up in AS level and don't (I think) in A2. The grades for the arts subjects were almost universally high, but they often dipped for the sciences, maths and english, which were the IGCSE subjects.

Some evidence to back up your statement would be gratifing, I wouldn't want to think were a bunch of think sh*ts after all...

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no option for people with 11 A*s? We do exist y'know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKeen)
    Why is there no option for people with 11 A*s? We do exist y'know!
    11a* is just sad

ReputationRep:
    Lol whatever. But dont make the assumption that all people with really good grades are losers!

ReputationRep:
    11a* is just sad

Why? (Not that I got 11, hehe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKeen)
    Lol whatever. But dont make the assumption that all people with really good grades are losers!
    no! i didnt say that all 11a* are sad!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.