The Student Room Group

Working at Primark - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm 14 and looking a weekend job and was wondering if primark would employ me thanks
Reply 381
Original post by Abzzy_ali
Hi I'm 14 and looking a weekend job and was wondering if primark would employ me thanks

No I'm afraid Primark would not employ you.

You'll find that you'll need to be at least 16 for most jobs and that some will even require you to be at least 18.

In terms of getting a job at 14, the only things that really spring to mind are paper round or working at a family member/friend's business.

You may be able to volunteer at places such as charity shops (don't quote me on this!) which will give you some basic experience. This will be invaluable when you do become of age to apply for part-time retail positions (at around 16/17) although it's not always necessary as I didn't have any previous retail experience before I started working at Primark.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by JoshFlySon
I have been working at Primark for a few months now and I really enjoy it ( apart from my terrible hours ). I have gained so much experience and I am learning more things each weekend, any questions feel free to ask!

How much you get paid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, my supervisor asked me to do 2 standby shifts at Primark this week. I was just wondering, is a standby shift basically where if someone calls in sick they can ring me up and ask me to come in? I didn't even know we do standby shifts so am just a little confused as to what it is and how likely I am to be called in
Original post by Charl_1997
Hi, my supervisor asked me to do 2 standby shifts at Primark this week. I was just wondering, is a standby shift basically where if someone calls in sick they can ring me up and ask me to come in? I didn't even know we do standby shifts so am just a little confused as to what it is and how likely I am to be called in

I would assume if someone was off ill or they were short of staff they would ring you. It's like doing overtime.
Original post by chikane
I would assume if someone was off ill or they were short of staff they would ring you. It's like doing overtime.

During my time at Primark I found it more prudent to actively ask managers for overtime rather than wait for a call from HR to come in... but yeah for a standby shift they should call you if you're needed.
Original post by JonnyXDA
During my time at Primark I found it more prudent to actively ask managers for overtime rather than wait for a call from HR to come in... but yeah for a standby shift they should call you if you're needed.

When i worked there years ago the managers and supervisors used to beg staff to do overtime.
Original post by chikane
When i worked there years ago the managers and supervisors used to beg staff to do overtime.

Lot of competition for overtime in the branch I worked in... a lot of the time it was a get in early by seeking out the managers in the morning or miss out altogether. Fortunately I was trained in pretty much every department including Bailer trained in the stockroom so I was always able to find overtime somewhere.
I handed in my notice last week. It was awful working there even if I only did it for a while. In training they told us it takes up to a year to be fully trained in everything you need to know and not to worry if you make mistakes in the first couple weeks. My supervisors had a go at me for hanging clothes on the wrong rail, and accidentally scanning through exppires receipts when it didn't come up on the till and then told me they didn't like that they had to retrain me and fix my mistakes and I'd better make sure it didn't happen again. When another girl started the same time as me and was just as new at stuff all they did was praise her and tell me how brilliant hse was and how well she was doing and kept having goes at me even though I corrected the mistakes I'd made and was careful to not do them again.

Not to mention they've forgotten to pay me twice, they missed out on paying me for a shift i did and today I got a payslip for that shift but of course I haven't had any money in my account yet for that missed shift. I'm confident that by them i'm due my salary for this month next week they'll forget to pay.

Happy to be out of there. It was only a weekend job so it didn't pay my rent and I have a weekday job i'm much happier with I was just disappointed at management and how awful it is.
Original post by JasmineIsaksson
I handed in my notice last week. It was awful working there even if I only did it for a while. In training they told us it takes up to a year to be fully trained in everything you need to know and not to worry if you make mistakes in the first couple weeks. My supervisors had a go at me for hanging clothes on the wrong rail, and accidentally scanning through exppires receipts when it didn't come up on the till and then told me they didn't like that they had to retrain me and fix my mistakes and I'd better make sure it didn't happen again. When another girl started the same time as me and was just as new at stuff all they did was praise her and tell me how brilliant hse was and how well she was doing and kept having goes at me even though I corrected the mistakes I'd made and was careful to not do them again.

Not to mention they've forgotten to pay me twice, they missed out on paying me for a shift i did and today I got a payslip for that shift but of course I haven't had any money in my account yet for that missed shift. I'm confident that by them i'm due my salary for this month next week they'll forget to pay.

Happy to be out of there. It was only a weekend job so it didn't pay my rent and I have a weekday job i'm much happier with I was just disappointed at management and how awful it is.

Omfg. Ficking same. Missing my pay every month and not paying me right and im still in this shitty weekend place ffs. Managers are ****
I went for an interview 4 days ago and the Supervisor said she'd call me within 2 weeks or leave me an email, which one would they use if you got the job/do they leave voice mails if you've got it but don't answer
They'll probably ring you, when I got the job they rang me and told me the hours I was being offered, when my induction was etc. I know this varies store to store though.
So I have an interview with Primark coming up, what should I be expecting? =)
Original post by Jackieox
So I have an interview with Primark coming up, what should I be expecting? =)

Standard interview questions? Seriously its a job interview, just like any other come on.
Original post by JonnyXDA
Standard interview questions? Seriously its a job interview, just like any other come on.

Interviews vary between place to place. I've had interviews where they've asked two questions and offered me the job. I've had job interviews where they ask you to do a task on the floor as well. I've had interviews where they give you a presentation on the day and want you to present it back to them.

If i'm going to get there and they're going to ask me to do a task on the shop floor I'd like to be as prepared as I can.
Interviews vary between place to place. I've had interviews where they've asked two questions and offered me the job. I've had job interviews where they ask you to do a task on the floor as well. I've had interviews where they give you a presentation on the day and want you to present it back to them.

If i'm going to get there and they're going to ask me to do a task on the shop floor I'd like to be as prepared as I can.

Primark interview is just a standard 1 to 1 interview i highly doubt they will stick you on the shop floor to do a task as they wont have time for that plus it gets busy.
I had my interview there years ago and it was just the HR manager asking me standard questions such as,

why do you want to work here?
Have you any work experience?
How can you contribute to a team?
What are primarks competitors?
Have you any communication skills?
How do you make sure work is to a high quality?
Name a time when you had to work in a team under pressure?
When you gave good service? and how do you deal with rude customer?

Good luck.

They ask you like what youd do in certain situations; if a woman asks for a dress that youve sold out of, what do you do?
How would you prioritise; a customer needing help, puting clothes on the rails, picking up clothes that have fallen on the floor.
They also asked what you want to gain from primark and if you're leaving another job, why.
They'll also ask availability and if you'll work bamk holidays. (If you applied for a weekend role then youre expected to work weekends)
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 397
Hi,
I have the myworkday tomorrow at primark to bring some documents, but I don't know if is for something else.
Someone can help me?
Reply 398
Original post by Lakimi
Hi,
I have the myworkday tomorrow at primark to bring some documents, but I don't know if is for something else.
Someone can help me?

I'm not sure what you're asking here? :smile:
Reply 399
I'm 17 and I just got a part time weekend retail assistant job at primark, the hours are 2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1:00-5:00 on Sunday. I have my induction next week and have a few questions. I know I can just phone up and ask or ask at the induction but, I don't want to be awkward or sound stupid. - the uniform is all black and the sheet I was given in the interview said black trousers, would it be ok if I wore black jeans? I don't own any formal suit trousers and the jeans I'd wear are skinny jeans and would be clean so could look smart?- does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change shifts or have days off for holiday and uni open days etc? - where do I go on my first day once I have arrived and know where I'm working for that shift? and do I just leave when my shift is over? - I've also been told I need to give two references is that just the names of people who could give references or two references already written? - do you have to tie your hair up or just back from your face?- I don't know anyone working at the primark store where I'll be working, is it easy to fit in and make friends?Any help will be much appreciated thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending