Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone.

Long Time No Post.

Anyway, I was wondering what you thought my chances are of getting into Cambridge to study Economics. I have achieved the following grades.

GCSE: 5 x A* - Maths, German, French, Economics, Chemistry
    6 x A - Eng Lang + Lit, Physics, Biology, Art, Religious Studies

I also have FSMQ Additional Maths at Grade B

I am studying the following for AS Level.

Economics - Predicted A for A2
    German - Predicted B for A2
    English Language - Predicted B for A2
    French - Predicted C/B for A2

It is my intention to drop French, leaving me with ABB currently. I believe that were I to put in some more effort, this could rise to AAB, with a B for AS French.

I think however, that my strengths lie in the extracurricular stuff that I do.

I will have at time of application:

1st XV Rugby
    2nd XI Cricket
    2nd XI Football
    Duke of Edinburgh Gold
    Young Enterprise - Operations Director
    Sports Contibrutor to Annual School Publication
    Editor of German Magazine
    Piano Grade 5
    Guitar Grade 5
    Won Scholarship to attend Oxford Law Conference
    Sixth Form Committee Representative

My school is going to overlook me as far as taking me to see Cambridge, as my predicted grades are not good enough. If I go and look around myself, what colleges is it worth looking at for Economics?

Do you think I stand much of a chance of getting in?

Are there any other factors that I could look into to boost my chances?

ReputationRep:
    Well...possibly but without the top grades of AAA and no Maths even at AS level, I would say its unlikely.

However, you may be fantastic at economics and have a strong anayltical/critical mind - but the majority of econ. applicants I imagine will have at the minimum AS Maths.

Perhaps you would be better looking at a joint degree with econ. that usually doesn't have so much emphasis on Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge say that they prefer Economics or Maths at A2 Level. There is a high chance that I would do Maths AS next year. If I told them that I wanted to do that, would they take it into account?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlegge)
    Cambridge say that they prefer Economics or Maths at A2 Level. There is a high chance that I would do Maths AS next year. If I told them that I wanted to do that, would they take it into account?

Tom
    They might, but tbh you'd really have to pull up your AS grades.

All your extracurricular stuff is great, but if you haven't got the grades/brains to go with it, it won't take you far.

ReputationRep:
    There is a really high maths content in an economics degree, for which reason the top universities want to see A-Level maths. They'd even prefer it to economics. And there is a lot of competition (it's Cambridge after all) so I think they'd pick those with A-Level maths over someone like yourself. Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think I can get AAB...I will be spending the Summer in Germany to try and get fluent, so that should hopefully bring me the second A. Website says AAA-AAB, so possible I suppose? Economics is my best subject by far and I take a massive interest in it. Interview wud be ok I am sure. Anything else I could do to boost my chances?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    They sometimes give AAB offers, but really they expect people to be predicted AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    They sometimes give AAB offers, but really they expect people to be predicted AAA.
    AAB for the arts, AAA for the sciences, as a general rule. Economics is considered an art at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)

when do you guys get your predicted grades because i thought that you get your predicted a2 grades after your as results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlegge)
    I think I can get AAB...I will be spending the Summer in Germany to try and get fluent, so that should hopefully bring me the second A. Website says AAA-AAB, so possible I suppose? Economics is my best subject by far and I take a massive interest in it. Interview wud be ok I am sure. Anything else I could do to boost my chances?

Tom
    You are sure about the interview? Nobody can tell except the interviewers themselves on the day. I think Cambridge will be more bothered about your lack of Maths than about your prowess at Economics A-Level, really. It's your academic record you really need to work on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    when do you guys get your predicted grades because i thought that you get your predicted a2 grades after your as results?
    or am i wrong? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Soz - i know i am kinda talking to myself here but people seem to get predicted grades in the beginning of February. By that time, we have sent all the reports and statements to cambridge/oxford, so do we get lik individual predicted grades for oxbridge,given earlier? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your school. You will get your official ones when you start to do your UCAS stuff - they will go in your reference. But some teachers will make tentative predictions before then, which I guess is what this guy is going on. I don't think you get special extra predictions just because you're applying here.

ReputationRep:
    i reckon the lack of maths may well be against you personally. is it possible for you to do a maths AS next year? or doing it externally it's not too hard, and could be taken in november... (all of it)!
    but go for it on the applying front... where there's a will there's a way!

ReputationRep:
    I got into Cambridge for Economics and hunny there ain't no chance they will offer you a conditional offer of less than AAA. I have AAA offer and everyone else I know who got in for Economics has an AAA offer (doesn't matter if u r state or private!). The competiton is enormous that without atleast being predicted AAB and having atleat an AS Maths i think u will find it very hard to catch their attention (even with extra activities!!)

ReputationRep:
    try and do AS maths in your spare time and then do A2 Maths at your school/college. This would really boost your chances of getting in. Otherwise, I'd have to say it is unlikely.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Despite your great list of extra-curricular activities..i'm afraid i have to say i don't think your ABBB at A2 will be good enough....i haven't heard of anyone getting an offer from cambridge for less than 3As...the lowest at Oxford i've heard of is AAB and economics is a very popular course.

Your best shot is to push up those predicted grades...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Despite your great list of extra-curricular activities..i'm afraid i have to say i don't think your ABBB at A2 will be good enough....i haven't heard of anyone getting an offer from cambridge for less than 3As...the lowest at Oxford i've heard of is AAB and economics is a very popular course.

Your best shot is to push up those predicted grades...

G

I know tom, he is in my german class, we do get tentative predictions, at this time of year, and they change a LOT befor the ucas applications. Seems stupid to me that the school recons that they can predict what we will get at A2 after 6 months of the As course!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Tom, nice to see you are posting a lot (13 posts!).

The Cambridge Prospectus says either Economics (I have this) or Maths is PREFERRED at A2. If I were to pull my socks up and get AAA, would I still be able to manage the course at Cambridge without Maths? Does it depend on which college you apply to as to the maths content in the course? I could probably do AS Maths next year, plus a certain amount of A2, although I am not sure how much. It seems a bit pointless to start doing more Maths if I am not even going to be given an offer. What do you need for PPE at Oxford just out of interest -AAA? What is the success ratio like?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defec8ing)
    I know tom, he is in my german class, we do get tentative predictions, at this time of year, and they change a LOT befor the ucas applications. Seems stupid to me that the school recons that they can predict what we will get at A2 after 6 months of the As course!
    Yeh...i know....but if he wan'ts to get in to cambridge...his predicted grades will need to be higher on the UCAS form...i'm not being a snob or anything...but cambridge do expect straight As from all their students....so without the minimum 3A prediction...it's unlikely he'll get an offer.

But there's loads of time yet....just make sure he knuckles down and works hard if he's serious about applying for cam.

G

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.