Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlegge)
    Hello Tom, nice to see you are posting a lot (13 posts!).

The Cambridge Prospectus says either Economics (I have this) or Maths is PREFERRED at A2. If I were to pull my socks up and get AAA, would I still be able to manage the course at Cambridge without Maths? Does it depend on which college you apply to as to the maths content in the course? I could probably do AS Maths next year, plus a certain amount of A2, although I am not sure how much. It seems a bit pointless to start doing more Maths if I am not even going to be given an offer.

Tom
    The thing is....if it comes down to a choice between you and someone else for a place...the maths A level may be the thing that sways it...

you already have the economics though...so there isn't any real NEED to do maths...but it might boost your chances.

G

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is,

Is there anyone doing this course that could tell me how much Maths is actually in it? How would I be able to manage without A2 or even AS Maths on this course?

Also, does the course vary depending on the college you go to, as I have heard that some colleges want Maths for definite and others don't.

Any ideas?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Without MAths....u have no chance to handle the course at Cambridge....maybe at other unis u can do Economics without maths but at Cam no way......i was told this in my interview!
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Yeh...i know....but if he wan'ts to get in to cambridge...his predicted grades will need to be higher on the UCAS form...i'm not being a snob or anything...but cambridge do expect straight As from all their students....so without the minimum 3A prediction...it's unlikely he'll get an offer.

But there's loads of time yet....just make sure he knuckles down and works hard if he's serious about applying for cam.

G
    would anyone reccomend just saying screw to the teachers, prooving them all wrong on the exam day, and apply to oxbridge, post A levels. Because you would have the grades in hand, are they more likely to let you in?

ReputationRep:
    There is one thing that bothers me then.

Why, if there is so much Maths content, do Cambridge not stipulate that Maths is required? They don't even say that Economics or Maths is required, just preferred. If Maths is so important to the course, why do they not say that it is required?

Is there a chance that Cambridge offer an Economics course (in another college) that is less Maths based? I don't mind doing Maths if it is being used to solve Economic problems, but if the level of Maths were to be prohibitively hard, I would be able to do the course.

I dont understand why they do not stipulate A2 Maths as required. AS Maths is not stipulated either.

If it makes any difference, I am quite good at maths, particularly mental arithmetic. I hold the school prize for Maths (Year 11) and have a Maths FSMQ (equiv 1/3 AS Level). I could easily get AS Maths....A2 would be near on impossible within the time frame.

Does the amount of Maths vary in the course from college to college? If so, which colleges have less emphasis on the Mathmatical side?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defec8ing)
    would anyone reccomend just saying screw to the teachers, prooving them all wrong on the exam day, and apply to oxbridge, post A levels. Because you would have the grades in hand, are they more likely to let you in?
    If you've already got the As at A level...and you have the same standard of application as everyone else applying..ie. in terms of extra-curricular...then you probably will be favoured ahead of those applying pre-A levels. HOWEVER....for economics..there will be maths involved...so taking a gap year may not be a wise option..as over the course of the gap year...you can tend to lose your grasp of maths...so unless you'll be able to get some kind of industrial placement and continue using maths for the gap year..they may look upon taking gap years as a bad thing!

G

ReputationRep:
    Does the amount of Maths vary in the course from college to college? If so, which colleges have less emphasis on the Mathmatical side?

Tom
    I doubt it...as most of the subject teaching is done on a university level...the only things done in college are supervisions.

G

ReputationRep:
    Hunny when Cam say preffered they mean its necessary! it's just one of those things! All students listen to the same lectures and learn the same stuff no matter what college they went to so the maths is the same for everyone!
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    Hunny when Cam say preffered they mean its necessary! it's just one of those things! All students listen to the same lectures and learn the same stuff no matter what college they went to so the maths is the same for everyone!
    Sxx
    Just out of interest..which college are you going to?? Hopefully i'll be at Caius this October!

G

ReputationRep:
    I see now that this course aint gonna be an option :-(

Straight law degree then? Would need very decent grades to do that at anywhere decent.

The thing that bugs me about what Cambridge says is that so many people are gonna waste a choice by applying there without Maths as it doesn't stipulate that it is compulsory.

It says that they PREFER you to have Economics or Maths...I fit into this category as I have A2 Economics. However, this is still not enough to be able to do the course. I have a certain degree of maths, but not enough.

What is most annoying is that prospective students end up wasting time, effort and money as Cambridge cannot properly stipulate what is necessary. If it is not possible to do the course without Maths A2, then Cambridge should stipulate Maths A2 as compulsory.

I actually have the urge to write to them and tell them what I think, as they are deceiving many people who will either end up not getting an interview, or will get a place but not be able to do any of the course forcing them to drop out.

Universities should be more specific about what is actually required.

ReputationRep:
    The reason they say preferred is because they don't want to deter the best pupils away...i.e the genius that maybe doesn' have very gd A levels but is naturally intelligent or sumthing like that...
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    No - teaching and syllabuses are arranged and examined on a university level, so there will be the same amount of Maths at any.

What they mean when they say it is preferred is that they won't reject you straight out just because you don't have it, but they'll give preference to a candidate who does have Maths over one who doesn't. Given how competitive it is to get in, you want to have as many advantages as you can. Frankly, a school prize in year 11 and some other thing is not going to look that great compared with someone with an A grade at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing maths (and all the sciences) at as, but my school doesnt offer economics :s Would i still have a good chance of getting in?

ReputationRep:
    I see now that this course aint gonna be an option :-(

Straight law degree then? Would need very decent grades to do that at anywhere decent.

The thing that bugs me about what Cambridge says is that so many people are gonna waste a choice by applying there without Maths as it doesn't stipulate that it is compulsory.

It says that they PREFER you to have Economics or Maths...I fit into this category as I have A2 Economics. However, this is still not enough to be able to do the course. I have a certain degree of maths, but not enough.

What is most annoying is that prospective students end up wasting time, effort and money as Cambridge cannot properly stipulate what is necessary. If it is not possible to do the course without Maths A2, then Cambridge should stipulate Maths A2 as compulsory.

I actually have the urge to write to them and tell them what I think, as they are deceiving many people who will either end up not getting an interview, or will get a place but not be able to do any of the course forcing them to drop out.

Universities should be more specific about what is actually required.
    Why don't you email some colleges if you really want to do Economics at Cambridge? I think some colleges will be really concerned if you don't do Maths, but some will not be too bothered as long as you can cope with numbers etc. I don't think you'd get rejected outright from most colleges just because you don't have Maths, but there are some exceptions (eg Queens').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Why don't you email some colleges if you really want to do Economics at Cambridge? I think some colleges will be really concerned if you don't do Maths, but some will not be too bothered as long as you can cope with numbers etc. I don't think you'd get rejected outright from most colleges just because you don't have Maths, but there are some exceptions (eg Queens').
    Crap, why didn't I find out sooner about Queens being picky about maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Crap, why didn't I find out sooner about Queens being picky about maths...

you applied for queens then?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugpros...mics_info.html

maths and economics "highly desirable"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    you applied for queens then?
    I did last year, I got rejected... the guy in the interview kept asking why i hadn't done a full further maths a level

ReputationRep:
    I did last year, I got rejected... the guy in the interview kept asking why i hadn't done a full further maths a level
    lol thats abit rude, what did you say? But hey, youve got UCL

ReputationRep:
    Hang on. I thought you meant just a normal Maths A-level?

You had AS Further Maths and they still didn't like it? Oh dear. Do I go and e-mail Pembroke asking them if my A-level choices are okay for Econ?

They will be:

Maths (A2)
    Chemistry (A2)
    German (A2)
    Economics (A2)
    Further Maths (AS)
    Critical Thinking (AS)

How can an AS in Further Maths not be enough when AS level Maths is all you need in the prospectus...pah.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.