Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Hang on. I thought you meant just a normal Maths A-level?

You had AS Maths and they still didn't like it? Oh dear. Do I go and e-mail Pembroke asking them if my A-level choices are okay for Econ?

They will be:

Maths (A2)
    Chemistry (A2)
    German (A2)
    Economics (A2)
    Further Maths (AS)
    Critical Thinking (AS)

How can an AS in Further Maths not be enough when AS level Maths is all you need in the prospectus...pah.
    I think i'ts just Queens'. I found out for their Maths degree applicants, to be accepted on their course they need to get a grade 1 in step and AAA, which is higher than most other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Shall I e-mail Pem just to be on the safe side? Oh, better idea, I can hassle my friend who's a 2nd year Econ at Queens'.

yea just email Pem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yea just email Pem
    Email Pem and ask your friend I probably messed up my interview as well so I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Officially maths up to A2 level is preferred meaning that it is essentially required. Maths is considerred the most important subject you study at a level whilst most admissions tutors probably dont even look or care about your economic grades at A level. Furthermore if your school offers Further A2 level maths some colleges do expect you to have taken it. This year i think around 50-60% did further maths A2 level.

The level of maths depends a lot on the DOS, but the more maths you have the better your application looks. Why is maths so important? Because it is used in the course a lot and is probably a good discriminator against intellectual ability. Economics A level is a poor indicator of economic ability, Being good at maths at a level means you are more likely to be good at economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlegge)
    I see now that this course aint gonna be an option :-(

Straight law degree then? Would need very decent grades to do that at anywhere decent.

The thing that bugs me about what Cambridge says is that so many people are gonna waste a choice by applying there without Maths as it doesn't stipulate that it is compulsory.

It says that they PREFER you to have Economics or Maths...I fit into this category as I have A2 Economics. However, this is still not enough to be able to do the course. I have a certain degree of maths, but not enough.

What is most annoying is that prospective students end up wasting time, effort and money as Cambridge cannot properly stipulate what is necessary. If it is not possible to do the course without Maths A2, then Cambridge should stipulate Maths A2 as compulsory.

I actually have the urge to write to them and tell them what I think, as they are deceiving many people who will either end up not getting an interview, or will get a place but not be able to do any of the course forcing them to drop out.

Universities should be more specific about what is actually required.
    I originally wanted to do Economics at Cambridge and my A-levels are/were Economics (A2), Geography (A2), French (A2), Maths (AS at Grade A), History (AS at Grade A). I had gone to a Pembroke Open Day in April of my lower 6th and was told that although maths was preferred at an 'advanced level' it was not necessary and all you needed was to be comfortable with weird looking equations and not be put off by them...

I decided that Pembroke wasnt really my 1st choice college and chose Queens'. Thought no more of the Maths because of what Pembroke had said. Gave up maths at the end of the lower 6th, having somehow managed a grade A. The only reason i had done AS maths was because of cambridge and then gave it up because they only considered AS maths highly desirable.

Filled out my cambridge form, went on a Queens' open day on the 3rd october. I was told by the director of studies that there was no point in me applying to queens without A2 Maths, and that despite what the prospectus said, it would be Queens admitting me to the university, not the faculty, so Queens' admissions criteria counted.

I went round about 6 other colleges in cambridge on that same day, asking admissions tutors. Emmanuel said that they wouldnt even look at me if i didnt have A2 maths and they preferred Further Maths as well. :eek: Kings said i could try, but would be at a serious disadvantage.

Considering how close this all was to the oxbridge deadline, i was a bit panicked. However, made a quick decision over the weekend that catching up on all the maths was ridiculous - they had done a whole module since id stopped - no point in applying to cambridge when i knew i was going to get rejected.

So, chose an Oxford college to do PPE, wrote my essays, went for the interview. Sadly got referred by my 1st choice to st hildas but am now looking forward to going there (fingers crossed) in october. And for ppe they do only consider maths and history AS desirable.

I was so pissed off with cambridge because i thought that what the prospectus and faculty website said was gospel. It is amazing how widely the colleges differ in their requirements depending on the D of Studies. I nearly wasted my choice and now will hopefully be going to another excellent uni with a subject that i think i will actually enjoy more. I really think that they need to change their prospectus because it is extremely misleading.

Anyone who wants to do Economics at Cambridge should be predicted AAA - Economics, Maths and either Geog/Hist. And even then, 80% wont get in.

ReputationRep:
    You need Maths,or Double Maths is better,especially for applying to Cambridge and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    So, chose an Oxford college to do PPE, wrote my essays, went for the interview. Sadly got referred by my 1st choice to st hildas but am now looking forward to going there (fingers crossed) in october. And for ppe they do only consider maths and history AS desirable.
    As BazTheMoney has pointed out, some the economics papers for PPE have quite an advanced maths content. So you still won't have escaped maths.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think people can understand the essence of economics if they try to escape the maths of it! It seems like madness! Somebody claiming 'I love economics, but I can't stand Maths' is like somebody saying 'I love Physics, but hate Maths'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    I really don't think people can understand the essence of economics if they try to escape the maths of it! It seems like madness! Somebody claiming 'I love economics, but I can't stand Maths' is like somebody saying 'I love Physics, but hate Maths'!
    Agreed. I speaking to a girl very interested in politics exlpain that she just HAD to read to PPE at Oxford. I asked her what her A-levels were: didn't do maths. Soon turned out she didn't do AS Maths either. I then asked her GCSE grade; she said A. Soon transpired she just couldn't stand, or do, maths. I took the only option I had - kept my mouth firmly shut for a while, and moved to a different part of the room at the first opportunity.

Perhaps at A-level, or at some universities, you can avoid maths. But so far as I can tell, if you are thinking about Economics at Oxbridge, you simply won't be able to do certain parts of the course without using some fairly sophisticated mathematical tools.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunatly, this is another example of an A level leading to unrealistic expectations as to what a subject consists of, similar in many ways to Law and Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    As BazTheMoney has pointed out, some the economics papers for PPE have quite an advanced maths content. So you still won't have escaped maths.
    Well, it's possible to dodge the advanced maths though not taking Economics on after the first year; but if their real ambition to study Economic in-death they'd need Maths. Even in the first year students encounter P5/P6 stuff.

Maths and Economics go together. :rolleyes: It dosen't take much brain power to work that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    if their real ambition to study Economic in-death they'd need Maths.
    Freudian slip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savvy10)
    Somebody claiming 'I love economics, but I can't stand Maths' is like somebody saying 'I love Physics, but hate Maths'!
    Nowadays it would be very strange, but the experimental sciences weren't always that mathematical. Nobel was a brilliant chemist for example, but he never trained in maths, and he didn't like the subject much by all accounts...similarly, economics used to be just theorising and essay-writing, but all science/social science subjects are now becoming more quantitative.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Freudian slip?
    Well, at times I do feel it would be the death of me...
    Unfortunatly, this is another example of an A level leading to unrealistic expectations as to what a subject consists of, similar in many ways to Law and Psychology.
    It's unfortunate, but that's the way it's just to be. There's only so far you can go without an understanding of mathematics, and you can't include A-Level Maths in an A-Level Economic course. 60% of people would fail.

ReputationRep:
    yep, you will be surprised in how many colleges 80% of the economic students have further maths with comfortable grade A's.

In some colleges the ratio is 100%. It depends on what the DOS likes and if there are enough aplicants with further maths they will be delighted. Most of them could not care less about Economics A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by observer)
    yep, you will be surprised in how many colleges 80% of the economic students have further maths with comfortable grade A's.

In some colleges the ratio is 100%. It depends on what the DOS likes and if there are enough aplicants with further maths they will be delighted. Most of them could not care less about Economics A level.
    I'd be amazed if it was 80%. I'd be suprised if it was over 50%.

ReputationRep:
    well not in all colleges, but in the larger ones traditionally strong in eco it certainly is. Accros the whole uni i reckon the figure is around 50%. Its very mathematical.

Also a reasonable number of mathmos switch from maths to eco in their second year and the weaker 1st year economics with little maths change to Land economy?

'desirable' on a prospective should be read as essential!

ReputationRep:
    ... and the weaker 1st year economics with little maths change to Land economy?
    Where did you hear this nonsense?

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing AS Maths, Geography, History, Biology and ICT i am expected to get all A's and then next year do A-levels in Maths, Geography, Biology and History hopefully getting all A's.

What are my chances of getting in to study economics at Cambridge??

My GCSE results were: 5 A*'s, 5A's and 1 B (in stats which we were taught as an extra GCSE only 2 days before the exam!)

ReputationRep:
    well not in all colleges, but in the larger ones traditionally strong in eco it certainly is. Accros the whole uni i reckon the figure is around 50%. Its very mathematical.

Also a reasonable number of mathmos switch from maths to eco in their second year and the weaker 1st year economics with little maths change to Land economy?

'desirable' on a prospective should be read as essential!
    Figures I've heard range from 30%-40%, I haven't heard of any college having 80% of Economics student studying Further at A-level.
    Currently doing AS Maths, Geography, History, Biology and ICT i am expected to get all A's and then next year do A-levels in Maths, Geography, Biology and History hopefully getting all A's.

What are my chances of getting in to study economics at Cambridge??

My GCSE results were: 5 A*'s, 5A's and 1 B (in stats which we were taught as an extra GCSE only 2 days before the exam!)
    There's not much point in asking us because we're not admission tutor, but if you get all A's you will certainly be considered.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.