This discussion is closed.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Are you from Singapore by any chance? When I did law at KCL there were lots of very bright students from Singapore. They seem to have a stronghold at UCL, KCL, and LSE.
Nopes from Brunei. But you're close. I got a blasted scholarship to do my secondary education in Singapore. I hated it. Too machavellian for my liking and too repressive. But that's a personal opinion.

And plus, I don't want to meet all my previous classmates in UCL, KCL and LSE *shudders*....
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
But they must realise people are waiting for offers and its not fair to keep students waiting for this long. Its not like there isn't any other good universities to choose form.
Yea, they realise people are waiting for their offers but surely the most important thing is that they make the right decision, and if takes them a while to decide that, well so be it. I don't really see what the rush is, none of the uni's start till September, whether you accept and offer now or in April makes no difference whatsover.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Brunei - that's next to Malaysia, right? Yes I've heard that education in Singapore can be repressive - Singapore, I recall, is ruled by a dictator, albeit a 'moral' one.
Use plurals in the last part of your statement and you've hit the nail smackbang into the woodwork.

I'm not Bruneian though. Malaysian by nationality, Brunei's a stepping stone, Singapore was my 'life as a rebel nerd' and UK will be.....(yet to be discovered)
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One smashing girl from Singapore I met was also a nerd when she was at Singapore (I 'accidentally' found pictures of her at a school in Singapore - talk about geek!). But at university she was 'cooler' than cucumber sandwiches.

Malaysian females tend to be very attract - the oriental eyes plus the tanned skin is irresistible to many males. I'm sure you'll find a worthy gentleman in Durham.
Hmm. I have pale skin, terrible myopia and not looking for a gentleman. Hehe... but which school did she go to? Spill!
seana
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sunnyt)
come on peeps what do you think bout the UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK?
i think it is a great university regardless of any views to the contrary. i am an international student and i have heard about warwick's excellent reputation from my previous professors long before I came here. I have an unconditional offer to study law there...

just dont know much about coventry...
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, I've never seen an ugly asian woman, and I doubt that you are one.

As for her school, I have no clue whatsoever - her father was once a minister of the government - perhaps there's a school for children with such fathers?
I came from Raffles Girls' School. Supposedly uber prestigious and elitist (not the place for me).. full of nerds, opportunists and snobs. And somehow ministers' children and other 'elite' do end up getting places there.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I'm going there next week for a post offer open day, so I'll post my own little review next week after I've been!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Well I'm going there next week for a post offer open day, so I'll post my own little review next week after I've been!
Looking forward to that.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Looking forward to that.
Is that a hint of sarcasm
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Is that a hint of sarcasm
No, not at all. I'm hardly ever sarcastic on these forums I'm really interested to know what people think of universities, esp since I haven't been to any UK unis except Cambridge (for only an hour!)..

xoxo
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One has to question a university based in coventry that calls itself "the University of Warwick"
There was already a college of higher education in Coventry when Warwick uni was founded (now called Coventry University).
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
No, not at all. I'm hardly ever sarcastic on these forums I'm really interested to know what people think of universities, esp since I haven't been to any UK unis except Cambridge (for only an hour!)..

xoxo
LOL! OK I tell you how it goes
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
LOL! OK I tell you how it goes
Thankies
Thirty-Nine
Report 16 years ago
The courses, links with industry and facilities are all of excellent quality and the result of forward thinking, as has been said countless times. These are clearly the good points about Warwick. The bad points are more superficial, and in reality the only thing that’s really stopped me from taking up an offer there is the uncertain possibilities for postgraduate study with the degree I applied for.

Anyway, I’ll try and add another side to these views, so I’ll do my best:
Coventry: Not a patch on most other university towns, supposedly fairly faceless and depressing. Furthermore, since Warwick realised they were keeping there students in an artificial oasis, they now mandate living outside the campus from the second year onwards.
The Campus: This is clearly a selling point for many, but if you don’t like campuses Warwick is at the extreme end of the scale. The core architecture stinks of sixties idealism, and similar buildings have been added on top, turning the campus into an approximation of the Epcot centre at Disney World Florida. Half the time I was expecting an omnipresent voice to blurt out “Work is freedom” or a similar empty yet echoing statement. Maybe it didn’t help that I visited on one of the first days of the year, and there were many new students shuffling about looking rather… oppressed.
The Sussex Effect: It seems that universities without the traditional ties are far more subject to plummeting down the league tables, as seen with Sussex. However, this is almost void for Warwick since it is beginning to establish traditional ties.
Gray to Red: Warwick is one of the few new universities that people who limit their choices almost exclusively to ‘red-bricks’ will apply to. As a result you’re probably going to find more of the snobby types so many fear, though Warwick will probably manage to limit it fairly well.
Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my brother loves it there, I've not heard a bad thing about it from him.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks thirty-nine. Your info was much appreciated.

Though Warwick sounds like quite a nice place, I don't think it suits me very well. But thanks xoxo
seana
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
warwick is actually on the border of warwickshire and coventry.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (146)
24.7%
Better than expected (129)
21.83%
Worse than expected (316)
53.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed