The Student Room Group

What social 'class' am I?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zara55
Although his ID name, "Torpedo Fish", suggests working class.

I think we have here someone in transition, moving both in his family and social circles from the lower parts of white collar towards something Better and More Aspiring.

"Torpedo Fish" suggests working class? Isn't that a Plato reference? Personally I didn't have Plato down as required reading for chavs.
Reply 21
I don't know, but we've missed the killer class-defining question to OP so far:

Do you own a MacBook??

This will offer definitive proof.
Original post by Chucklefiend
He's undoubtedly not working class.

'working' class, the clue is in the name. This social group is comprised of blue collar workers, not people studying Chemistry at a top 20 university.

In my eyes, his demeanour, attitude and background allows himself to be asserted into the Working class category.

Remember - Middle Class historically are: Doctors, Bankers, Lawyers....

A large majority of people in the population are disillusioned into thinking they are above what they really are.
Reply 23
Middle-Middle-Middle-Middle.
Reply 24
"Torpedo Fish" suggests working class? Isn't that a Plato reference? Personally I didn't have Plato down as required reading for chavs.

Crumbs yes, all the chavs are into epic poetry these days, along with Uggs.
Reply 25
He's undoubtedly not working class.

'working' class, the clue is in the name. This social group is comprised of blue collar workers, not people studying Chemistry at a top 20 university.

Yeah, because poor kids can't ever be intelligent, right? :rolleyes:. For most people, "class" is a mindset influenced by their upbringing and economic situation. Plenty of people are born to working-class parents in working-class areas, work their way to a better career and enter the "middle class" - it's called social mobility.

OP, I'd say you were lower-middle, but it's completely irrelevant either way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Luke Williams
In my eyes, his demeanour, attitude and background allows himself to be asserted into the Working class category.

Remember - Middle Class historically are: Doctors, Bankers, Lawyers....

A large majority of people in the population are disillusioned into thinking they are above what they really are.

I'm impressed that you've somehow managed to ascertain his "demeanor" over an internet forum. :rolleyes: With regards to language and grammar, he has not used any slang, his grammar is good and he seems fairly polite. With respect these are not attributes I'd necessarily associate with the working class.

Admittedly his Mother is employed in a blue collar job, but it's not his mother who we are are attempting to place into a class bracket. Aside from that he says that he lives in an "affluent suburban town in the South East". As I've said, merely the fact that he's studying a 'hard' subject at a reputable university renders him lower-middle class in my opinion.
Original post by AmyJ
Yeah, because poor kids can't ever be intelligent, right? :rolleyes:. For most people, "class" is a mindset influenced by their upbringing and economic situation. Plenty of people are born to working-class parents in working-class areas, work their way to a better career and enter the "middle class" - it's called social mobility.

The bit in bold is precisely my point. He may have been born into a working class family, although frankly I would dispute that based on the other information he has provided, but he is certainly no longer working class.
I'm impressed that you've somehow managed to ascertain his "demeanor" over an internet forum. :rolleyes: With regards to language and grammar, he has not used any slang, his grammar is good and he seems fairly polite. With respect these are not attributes I'd necessarily associate with the working class.

That's some serious stereotyping going on there. I know far more polite, friendly working class people than middle class incidentally.
Original post by CJM13
That's some serious stereotyping going on there. I know far more polite, friendly working class people than middle class incidentally.

Yes and the class system in this country is largely based upon stereotypes.
Reply 30
I'm really worried about his demeanor now.
Reply 31
You are a filthy pint swilling peasant.
Original post by zara55
I don't know, but we've missed the killer class-defining question to OP so far:

Do you own a MacBook??

This will offer definitive proof.

No I have a Vaio. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Torpedo Fish

Bzzzz. Middle-middle.
Middle class. Class just relates to one's position in the economic hierarchy -- you don't need to fit into any cultural stereotypes.
Reply 35
The bit in bold is precisely my point. He may have been born into a working class family, although frankly I would dispute that based on the other information he has provided, but he is certainly no longer working class.

"Working class" is a state of mind as much as anything else. You don't just walk through the doors of Durham or Bristol or wherever and cast it off, it's in your family, it's ingrained in who you are. Some of my friends' parents are now wealthy by most standards, earning upwards of 80k individually, but they'd be gravely insulted by anyone calling them "middle class" because they grew up dirt poor and they still have that mindset. My friend's mother gives a lot of her income to charity because she's superstitious and believes she doesn't "deserve" to earn that much, and that somehow she has gained it through unjust/unfair means. Rich guilt is often a symptom of that kind of economic transition.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the comedian Chris Rock, but I watched an interview of his once and he was asked about going from poverty to immense wealth. He said, half-jokingly: "Part of me hates my own kids...because now they will be "rich kids" no matter what I do. Sometimes I just look at them and think, "You rich mother****ers!"".
Reply 36
With regards to language and grammar, he has not used any slang, his grammar is good and he seems fairly polite. With respect these are not attributes I'd necessarily associate with the working class.

Wow. Ignorant, much?
Reply 37
Original post by AmyJ

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the comedian Chris Rock, but I watched an interview of his once and he was asked about going from poverty to immense wealth. He said, half-jokingly: "Part of me hates my own kids...because now they will be "rich kids" no matter what I do. Sometimes I just look at them and think, "You rich mother****ers!"".

Although he was joking, that thing of parents who were raised working-class but became very well off envying their own kids is surprisingly common. I've seen examples at the private schools I went to. I've seen one rather sad (maybe doesn't look sad to some people) side effect at Uni, where some kids of very well off parents get absolutely zero support from them, at a time when it would really make a difference for them, the underlying cause being this kind of thing.
Reply 38
Original post by Torpedo Fish

You were brought up with the wrong computer. I feel sorry for you.

He's working class, going to a good uni to study a science does not suddenly make you middle class. When he graduates university and gets a graduate position in a typically "middle class" job, say as a scientist for example, then he will be middle class. Many people go to good universities, get good degrees then have to work in shops, are they still middle class?

I'm sure I saw a survey somewhere which said 3/4 of British people identify themselves as middle class, clearly 3/4 Britain is not middle class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending