Turn on thread page Beta

Pembroke Innards watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For the Pembrok(ers/ians/ettes/ans??)

At pem, cam what's it like being part of the college? Are there fair spaces to kick about a football close to the college accommodation? What about music stuff? Are you really allowed to touch that Steinway? :P Are there any practice rooms, or do you put up with each other in your rooms? What's the furthest you've gone in Uni Challenge What sort of "entertainment" goes on during the nights and the wee hours of morn..? What's the most mutually agreed trait of the college? If you want to continue learning an instrument, eg. violin/piano what arrangements do the college have? any CS players? If I can''t think of any more questions by the end of this sentence then I'.... Nope.

d0c

ReputationRep:
    Wow :eek:

Is there actually anyone here from Pembroke? If not, you might be a bit stuck.

(Original post by d0c)
    For the Pembrok(ers/ians/ettes/ans??)
    hey
    i am not a pemmer () yet but i have a conditional offer for there next year.

i havent found anyone on these boards who is from pembroke tho.

have you applied yet or not an for what subject?
    lo ve rosie xx

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, crana What subject will you be "reading"? (reading sounds so casual, as if the course is only an appetiser) I'm going to do medicine, most preferable at pembroke if all goes well! Pembroke sounds like a homely place from what I've read so far.. ironically, it's somewhere away from home that I'd like to be :P I'm doing my AS now, waiting for results next week

I'm looking forward to visiting Pembroke during open days. Its gone into my head that Pem is THE place for me..

d0c

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and one more thing, how are the teachers? I must assume that they are good-natured and tolerant of a wide range of senses of humour like those in our school.How did you find them during your interview, crana? They can't be worse than any of the ones I've known, surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0c)
    Oh, and one more thing, how are the teachers? I must assume that they are good-natured and tolerant of a wide range of senses of humour like those in our school.How did you find them during your interview, crana? They can't be worse than any of the ones I've known, surely.
    Well, I've met the Pembroke medics (first years, anyway) and they're really nice, and Pembroke usually gets very good results from its medics, so I'd imagine they get pretty good supervisions, though I can't remember who from.

(Original post by d0c)
    Hey
    I am going to do natsci.
    Watch out, if you get in, I MIGHT BE YOUR MUM. A scary thought indeed.

At the interview they were nice, even had a giggle with them once or twice. Definitely better than the teachers at my school - they actually had a clue what they were talking about which is something Im not that used to

love
    rosie xx
    PS. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    LOL You'll find me difficult to "mum" around :P This mums and dads thing is quite cute. What sort of job/career are you looking at? Even if the course is long, at least medics know they're going to be doctors. You must have a lot of choice if you do biology or any other sciences, and even more since you'll graduate from cam. I suppose you could always do a grad in medicine.. Do you already know anyone going to the college? You must have met a lot of people during the interview.. Were they all for the same subject or random?

d0c

(Original post by d0c)
    LOL You'll find me difficult to "mum" around :P This mums and dads thing is quite cute. What sort of job/career are you looking at? Even if the course is long, at least medics know they're going to be doctors. You must have a lot of choice if you do biology or any other sciences, and even more since you'll graduate from cam. I suppose you could always do a grad in medicine.. Do you already know anyone going to the college? You must have met a lot of people during the interview.. Were they all for the same subject or random?

d0c
    hehe.....if I had wanted to be a doctor, I would have applied for medicine....I would like to work in clinical biochemistry, but a lot can change between now and then. I don't want to just do research. I didn't meet that many people really..

rosie

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of Pembroke for Economics. I compiled this rather random table today with all my needs (college scarf colours, location, etc.) and Pembroke topped the list. Also, like the look of the college in general and should be going on its Open Day.

Any thoughts about Pembroke Economics?

Oh and how musical is the demand for Instrumental Awards?

ReputationRep:
    The mention of "Economics" (erk) brings to mind the ghastly finger cramps when I had to write my gcse! Non-stop pen-breaking, paper-screeching, eye-watering flipping two and half hours of unadulterated writing! Even english is nowhere near as bad as that! It depends on what yourself as in 10 years, a hard-headed economist, advising the government, I suppose..

I'm interested in the instrumental awards as well. Is it only given to a fixed number of people, or does anyone who is good enough qualify? What instrument do you play, deianra? Or do you sing? This is going to fun.. I love music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0c)
    The mention of "Economics" (erk) brings to mind the ghastly finger cramps when I had to write my gcse! Non-stop pen-breaking, paper-screeching, eye-watering flipping two and half hours of unadulterated writing! Even english is nowhere near as bad as that! It depends on what yourself as in 10 years, a hard-headed economist, advising the government, I suppose..

I'm interested in the instrumental awards as well. Is it only given to a fixed number of people, or does anyone who is good enough qualify? What instrument do you play, deianra? Or do you sing? This is going to fun.. I love music.
    From what I understand, there's one Award per instrument in piano, violin, viola, cello flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon and french horn. Minimum standard is Grade 8 Distinction, which I hopefully will get in the summer (I'm a pianist), giving me over a year to get over the standard needed for the Award. Don't think I'd be anywhere near good enough, even if I get to audition (fingers crossed about an offer) but it should be fun

Economics GCSE is a bit...urgh. Not done it but doesn't sound nice. I like it because the Cambridge course has compulsory papers in Political Science and Economic History

Oh, and investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    are those instrumental awards for the whole university or just pembroke? coz i have the required standard but think i'd b a bit screwed if there was only 1 award for an oboist throughout the whole uni per year!

ReputationRep:
    An oboist.. cool Perhaps we should do a trio sometime :P piano, violin and oboe, though I think we'll have to make up our own music :P

Rach(el/maninov? :P), I'm sure it must be 1 per instrument per college, because the auditions are held by the college you apply to, so it says in the 2004 prospectus. What're you thinking of applying for? It'll be great to meet some of you during the open days, if you're going..?

Clinical biochemistry and investment banking.. hmm... crana: "I had a great day! I bound the B-cell receptors to my T-cells and the alpha cavity enlargened!" deinra: "That's nothing compared to mine.. I just brokered a deal for with 3 MNCs with 10% comission which subsidised their whole vertical integration" me: "I killed another one today! "

ReputationRep:
    i have an offer for 2005, but it's at new hall and i'm not sure how musicy they are. so any kind of musical activity sounds good 2 me - though shotgun not writing any music!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0c)
    An oboist.. cool Perhaps we should do a trio sometime :P piano, violin and oboe, though I think we'll have to make up our own music :P

Rach(el/maninov? :P), I'm sure it must be 1 per instrument per college, because the auditions are held by the college you apply to, so it says in the 2004 prospectus. What're you thinking of applying for? It'll be great to meet some of you during the open days, if you're going..?

Clinical biochemistry and investment banking.. hmm... crana: "I had a great day! I bound the B-cell receptors to my T-cells and the alpha cavity enlargened!" deinra: "That's nothing compared to mine.. I just brokered a deal for with 3 MNCs with 10% comission which subsidised their whole vertical integration" me: "I killed another one today! "
    Ah, the perfect life, eh? It is just one per instrument per college I think. Some colleges might have more Awards/instrument but for Pembroke, it's one per instrument. I want to be a bloody muso! Are you coming on any of the Open Days? I've just booked a place on the 24th April one.

Out of interest though, d0c, why Pembroke?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm going to the 24th one and the one in July for Sciences. Will be fun see all those hordes of people buzzing about cam uni. Are others going from your college to the pem open day? I like pembroke because... it sounds like cambridge. That sounds strange.. :confused: I mean, it invokes the same sort of feeling that "Cambridge" does.. mm. yes, distinctly odd.. :confused: Its the same reason why I didn't choose Oxford, I don't like the sound of it. They are both the same.. so it doesn't really make a difference. There is also the prospectus..and all the nooks on the net I found for pembroke +cambridge on google. Its small enough that I will know most of the people. What about you?

Btw, what is a muso? :P musician? the only links for "muso" on google pointed to several japanese people, someone addressed at Kangaroo flats and an irish music society :P

Rachel: music composition is fun, its only when you start playing it that it goes awry :P But its hard to emulate Bach, and I don't want to do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0c)
    Btw, what is a muso? :P musician? the only links for "muso" on google pointed to several japanese people, someone addressed at Kangaroo flats and an irish music society :P
    Muso = either someone who studies music, or one of the people who play an instrument/sing in the choir and hang out together, talking their exclusive muso talk and generally being "cool" together whilst reminiscing about NYO/Eton choral courses.

That's a slightly cynical view of it - most of them are lovely people (I'm friends with them), but when they get together they can be a little intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    LoL so what's what a muso is. Mummy always said there are certain things you'll only understand when you grow up :P Yes.. it brings to mind certain people in our school. Definitely musos - with the cynical twists attached. Thanks, Helen. I hear you're doing medicine..Clare, I think? Did you go to medlink the year before? Did anyone? It was a good experience.. The single rooms were unexpected.. I was expecting a large dormitory. The food was not bad either. So do you know anyone from Pembroke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0c)
    LoL so what's what a muso is. Mummy always said there are certain things you'll only understand when you grow up :P Yes.. it brings to mind certain people in our school. Definitely musos - with the cynical twists attached. Thanks, Helen. I hear you're doing medicine..Clare, I think? Did you go to medlink the year before? Did anyone? It was a good experience.. The single rooms were unexpected.. I was expecting a large dormitory. The food was not bad either. So do you know anyone from Pembroke?
    Yes, I'm a Clare medic. I went to Medlink in 2000 (I had a gap year). I really enjoyed it - made some really good friends. I kinda guessed we'd have single rooms - dorms are at boarding school, not uni!

Food was ok - better than Clare buttery. I know a couple of the Pembroke first year medics; they're really nice.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.