The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anjelofernando
TRY THIS YEARS EDEXCEL M4 paper and say that again ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:angry:

Hahaha don't hurt me.
Reply 241
Yeah if thats the case why can no a level student write a decent essay any more. The standard of essays is **** nowadays and for all the genius you claim to have you don't seem to realise "people who does the same" doesn't make any sense. :facepalm:
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
So you're saying english is more 'prestigious' than science and maths?

Right to that implies someone with an english degree is more 'prestigious' or 'clever' than a doctor? or an engineer?

Are you kidding me? :facepalm:

Mate you just sound really desperate to prove your worthiness. Just stop trying to compare subjects, if you like english so much then good for you. A lot of poeple will disagree with your views, like me, so all you'll really be getting out of this is a load of neg rep.

Did you read my post correctly? I did not say English is more prestigious than Maths and Science, i know Maths and Science are more prestigious. I said the skill set needed to excel at these subjects is rarer than the ones needed to excel at English.

I then said regardless of the fact that more people will achieve an A* at English Literature than Maths or Science etc, that does not mean the skill set needed to excel in English Lit (Being able to analyse texts etc) is less prestigious than the ones needed to achieve the same in Science/Maths. In fact i think the skills needed to excel in English are more prestigious, but again this is OPINION, not fact.

Alot of people are taking this to heart, it's just a statement not a fact, i even wrote underneath my argument that it's my opinion and don't go crazy on me and i've got 182 NEGS!
Original post by Saada
Yeah if thats the case why can no a level student write a decent essay any more. The standard of essays is **** nowadays and for all the genius you claim to have you don't seem to realise "people who does the same" doesn't make any sense. :facepalm:

Lol, have i not stated numerously throughout this thread that it was a typo?

Also if you believe that a student who achieves an A* in English Literature at A level can't write a decent essay then you are stupid. These students essays may be bull compared to a professor's essay, but to achieve that grade at A level your essay has to be a little bit better than "decent" don't you think?
They are completly different, being good at science involves understanding and memory where as enlish requires exam technique and a natural ablity to manipulate the english language theres no way to compare the two, its like saying pinks a better colour to blue.
Reply 245
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Lol, have i not stated numerously throughout this thread that it was a typo?

Also if you believe that a student who achieves an A* in English Literature at A level can't write a decent essay then you are stupid. These students essays may be bull compared to a professor's essay, but to achieve that grade at A level your essay has to be a little bit better than "decent" don't you think?

Wrong. Typo is 'deos' as opposed to 'does', what you did was stupid. Decent essays nowadays are **** compared to essays considered decent years ago. You can get an A even if you spell most words wrong as they can only deduct one mark for spelling so your grade is no indicator for how good your essay is.
Original post by Saada
Wrong. Typo is 'deos' as opposed to 'does', what you did was stupid. Decent essays nowadays are **** compared to essays considered decent years ago. You can get an A even if you spell most words wrong as they can only deduct one mark for spelling so your grade is no indicator for how good your essay is.

Yeah people can scrape an A, but you cannot scrape an A* and regardless of what you say i know 'does' was not deliberate, continuing to focus on one word out of a long line of posts is kinda pathetic.

Btw, an essay isn't based on just spelling, someone can write and excellent essay and misspell a couple words, an amazing essay has great structure, content and context. Spelling comes into that but it doesn't define an essay.
Reply 247
Yes you're right. English Lit is harder than learning how to square root or "x+y" as you said. But the examples you gave are just stupid. You can't extrapolate from the little Maths and Science you did at GCSE to A-level. Sciences at A-level do take skill (Biology to a lesser extent which everyone says is a memory test) and you have to be smart to understand the concepts. In fact I'm pretty sure you're only entitled to an opinion on this by talking to people who have done both or by doing both yourself.

Do you even know what synoptic means? Saying sciences are synoptic doesn't support your argument that sciences take less skill...
i think the skills needed to excel in English are more prestigious

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

lols

Alot of people are taking this to heart, it's just a statement not a fact, i even wrote underneath my argument that it's my opinion and don't go crazy on me and i've got 182 NEGS!

Pahaahaa oh dear - You were totally asking for it
Reply 249
So English Literature sent man to the moon did it? Is literature going to prevent climate change? Is literature going to solve any other problems in the world today? I think not!!!
Original post by M4LLY
So English Literature sent man to the moon did it? Is literature going to prevent climate change? Is literature going to solve any other problems in the world today? I think not!!!

Well said!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by M4LLY

I think, currently, all we have to do is spell correctly, so as to keep some sort of dignity among us as a race (we suck at the moment - never mind the literature!). We should work on our own analysis skills, but not about Shakespeare etc.

Maths is good and straight forward if you concentrate a lot. But only if you're good. It's really hard for some people I see. x+y is important. x + y could be anything you see, and the more complicated things like F=ma or projectiles are also just as important as keeping the memories (or whatever you want to call it - I'm not hurting anyone here I hope) of Shakespeare alive. The world would be very primitive without maths or physics.

So I think, in a general sense, academic subjects are more helpful. Looking back at the quesion, I seem not to have answered it... But I'll simply say no to it.
Reply 252
Original post by xiyangliu
Try OCR A or OCR B. aqa text book tend to tell u everything u need to knw. Physics does require Brain. A level compare to university level is completely different dude. Its more of problem solving rather memorising. Memorising in a level might help u get a good grade at a level. At uni it's completely different.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I realise that it is probably different at university but this thread is for A level. For AQA anyway you can get good grades without understanding anything.
what x + y is which can be learned through intense revision.

You've basically said that mathematics is just addition.

As maths is just addition, I'm sure you'll have no problems with a STEP or Olympiad paper? :rolleyes:

Original post by dada55
I find Maths/Science easier then English lit, not neccesarily because it's easier for me but because analysing what a author wrote is pointless and they never meant the stuff that people come up with. This frustrates me having to make up some random "analytical skill based" fiction to hopefully score some marks based on what some bored to death examiner gives you. Even if you do the perfect essay, you probbably still won't get full marks due to subjective marking and you will still never know how well you did until results come out.
For English lit, you also don't have to revise that much either, just go on the day and make up some random stuff the author never meant and you can get an average grade.

I agree with this completely. Poems and books were written so that they could be read and enjoyed, not over analysed and have a page written about the significance of the word blue in the third line.
Reply 254
:smile:. Yeah that's what i heard, i heard English Language is really hard at A level and is basically about studying the history of the English language etc.

I was more into creative writing and writing about books so i just just chose English Literature at A level.

Your a little braniac aren't you A* in Spanish i just read...bien hecho espero que alcanzar sus grados!

BTW, if your thinking about picking a language for A level you should, languages like French/Spanish/German etc look great on UCAS applications.
You can blag your way through English and get a good grade. You try that it maths. Try it.
Reply 255
Original post by Appeal to reason
You've basically said that mathematics is just addition.

As maths is just addition, I'm sure you'll have no problems with a STEP or Olympiad paper? :rolleyes:

I agree with this completely. Poems and books were written so that they could be read and enjoyed, not over analysed and have a page written about the significance of the word blue in the third line.

OP is not talking about maths in general, he is talking about A level. A level maths is very different to STEP and while STEP is very hard you can get a good grade in A level maths by doing a few past papers since the same questions pretty much always come up - it pretty much is simple addition.

I do maths and science A levels and I found it much harder to get an A* in english literature GCSE than maths and further maths A level (although I think chemistry A level is harder because there's so much to memorise).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Appeal to reason

Surprisingly, not true. Most literature, excluding some genres within the last 200 years, was made to be commentated and written about and for want of a better word, 'interpreted', though not to the ludicrous degree you mentioned of course.

I feel this is the wrong thread though for that discussion as everyone is going over how great maths and science are, which though true, is not the OP's point.
The arts are for people too dumb to do sciences.
Original post by beelz
OP is not talking about maths in general, he is talking about A level. A level maths is very different to STEP and while STEP is very hard you can get a good grade in A level maths by doing a few past papers since the same questions pretty much always come up - it pretty much is simple addition.

I do maths and science A levels and I found it much harder to get an A* in english literature GCSE than maths and further maths A level (although I think chemistry A level is harder because there's so much to memorise).

Thankyou!
Reply 259
OP didn't do M4 this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending