The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Listen !! Literature ppl !!! Do this for me then

The question I circled. Part a. I am actually really stuck on this :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 321
Original post by theking1
Jokosor,

You sound very bitter about not being able to excel at Humanities subjects'. Would you like me to tutor you?

HAHAHAHAAHA, no thanks. I want my life to have a meaning and I don't see it in humanities. As a matter of fact, I took an A-level in a foreign language and did quite well at it so it's useless, Humanities can't provide me with the challenge that I am looking for.

Anyway, how dare you say you want to tutor me?? Imma rip off your head :colone:...Oh wait, didn't notice you were a girl, tell me when and where :hubba:

Original post by xiyangliu
Listen !! Literature ppl !!! Do this for me then

The question I circled. Part a. I am actually really stuck on this :frown:

Allow them :rofl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 322
Original post by jokosor
HAHAHAHAAHA, no thanks. I want my life to have a meaning and I don't see it in humanities. As a matter of fact, I took an A-level in a foreign language and did quite well at it so it's useless, Humanities can't provide me with the challenge that I am looking for.

Anyway, how dare you say you want to tutor me?? Imma rip off your head :colone:...Oh wait, didn't notice you were a girl, tell me when and where :hubba:

Dude you need to chill. Humanities subjects have given me one of the many skills to evaluate a person. And you seem quite insecure about your education, why are you so angry?
I really see no need for people to be getting so heated, and frankly so rude!
Reply 324
Dude you need to chill. Humanities subjects have given me one of the many skills to evaluate a person. And you seem quite insecure about your education, why are you so angry?

Angry? No. It is a very interesting thread and I have decided to systematically shut down every idiot on it. I am quite secure about my education, it is the reason why I took a gap year to take more sciences. I know that no matter what I will have a job so I'm fine, however I can't say the same of certain people studying humanities.

You think that you can evaluate me? I am sorry but your evaluation is wrong, and this questions not only your skills but also the subject you respect so much. I won't get angry over such things, I can't remember the last time I felt angry towards someone. I enjoy debating, that is all. You are such a tight girl, you need to loosen up and stop assuming so much, people joke. Do you honestly think that I wanna rip off your head? Of course not haha.

Btw when you quote people be careful not to touch the codes in the square brackets.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by violetta12
I find your choice of subjects very interesting-what do you plan to do later on?

Hi :smile: Well, if all goes to plan and I meet my offer, I'm off to Cambridge in October to study Natural Sciences (Physical) for three/four years. After that, it's hopefully a career in physics; probably something either energy or communications related (although ESA would be amazing! I've always wanted to plan the first manned Mars missions. But that's probably not going to happen, I'd have to be incredibly lucky to be able to be involved in something like that :smile: )
Original post by JoPat94
This is just the same for science. I don't see the point in advancing a society which has no lust for life, no creativity nor art or beauty. A society solely scientific would be exactly this, so your argument works both ways. We can become as technologically advanced as we like, but ultimately on our deathbeds we will value the joys we've indulged in through life, such as literature and philosophy.

We come back to the same argument. Art and Science are two equally important halves of society.

I hate this thread.

Science leads to understanding, which is it's own reward. Nature is far more beautiful, far more elegant, far more creative, than anything any mere human being can so much as fathom; to even have a glimpse at how nature works at a fundamental level is extraordinary and truly fascinating - more so than any fictional tale or empty philosophical jargon (which, in any case, isn't literature).

Original post by Deziah
Medicine wouldn't be what it is without talented scientists, in all areas, making discoveries which essentially have saved thousands and thousands of lives. It's not just medicine though, every equation in maths, and element in science has been founded by a scientist who is probably incredibly talented and worked exceptionally hard. You shouldn't underestimate scientists, imo they've done just as much as doctors.

Doctors would be utterly useless without scientists working behind the scenes discovering diseases, cures, and the complex interactions within the human anatomy. Some doctors are researching scientists as well, of course, but you did not specify.

This thread is really never going to reach a conclusion. Nevertheless, I want to try and draw peoples attention to what talent means, regarding literature, and regarding science, and see if that can aid the situation somewhat.

- For the former, I am sure you will agree that having talent means you are able to write to a very high standard, and be able to analyse the works of somebody else to an equally high standard.
- For the latter, I would define talent as the ability to think abstractly and use understanding of one thing to derive understanding of a second, third, fourth, etc. thing.

I believe that as far as literature goes, talent is easily "created" in that one can always use dictionaries and thesauruses to enhance the quality of writing. Moreover one can analyse and interpret things in numerous ways, and this leads to the problem of "who is more right?" - a question with no objective answer, and thus no way to distinguish between talent and mere guesswork.

On the contrary, it is more difficult to find an equivalent thesaurus for a scientist - if something hasn't been discovered, then clearly you can't just look it up elsewhere. Nonetheless it is possible to improve ones ability think abstractly, but it takes more effort than does improving ones diction. The ability to derive new understanding from already known concepts is what, for me, makes science superior. This ability has no direct counterpart in literature, in my opinion, and I would hesitate in claiming it could be taught. It really does require ingenuity that is not required to succeed in other disciplines.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PhysicsGirl
Hi :smile: Well, if all goes to plan and I meet my offer, I'm off to Cambridge in October to study Natural Sciences (Physical) for three/four years. After that, it's hopefully a career in physics; probably something either energy or communications related (although ESA would be amazing! I've always wanted to plan the first manned Mars missions. But that's probably not going to happen, I'd have to be incredibly lucky to be able to be involved in something like that :smile: )

Wow !! Cambridge rejected me after my interview :frown:

Reply 328
Original post by Astronomical
XXX

A bit harsh on doctors but well said.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 329
Original post by Astronomical

Doctors would be utterly useless without scientists working behind the scenes discovering diseases, cures, and the complex interactions within the human anatomy. Some doctors are researching scientists as well, of course, but you did not specify.

I get what you're saying. I didn't want to offend, y'know considering half of TSR are aspiring doctors. ;D
Reply 330
Original post by jokosor
Angry? No. It is a very interesting thread and I have decided to systematically shut down every idiot on it. I am quite secure about my education, it is the reason why I took a gap year to take more sciences. I know that no matter what I will have a job so I'm fine, however I can't say the same of certain people studying humanities.

I'm going to leave this thread now. Not because you have won some sort of desperate victory, but because I find there is little point in arguing. Being such a mature student, I'm sure you can agree. Finally, trying to prove a point over the internet is pointless. Time is of the essence and so is your blood pressure.

Alas; parting is such sweet sorrow.
Original post by jokosor
Wrong.

You are talking about arts, however the discussion is focused around ENGLISH LITERATURE. Like I said, English Literature by itself cannot validate itself against any of the sciences. It will always need support from areas like Art, Philosophy and History. Do you have any points that can refute these statements? I say no.

Literature itself is a luxury. Sciences instead are not and they are fundamental for the progress of society, history proves me right. But what has english literature done for humanity? Neglibile stuff when compared to sciences

I find it interesting that this thread has morphed from being about "intelligence" to the validity of English Literature as a subject, against the validity of science as a subject. Whilst I am firmly against the title of the thread, I also find myself slightly depressed by the number of people insisting that English Literature is not respected, valued or worthwhile when compared with sciences. For me, studying English Literature is about studying how ideas have been expressed for centuries, examining how authors, poets, playwrights and speakers have chosen to communicate and what has influenced them, creating a rich and vast map of past, present and future cultures, feelings, ideologies and identities. As a subject, it is challenging, fascinating and emotive, presenting opportunities to debate issues spanning all areas of society and how people represent or are influenced by the world around them. It is arrogant to deem it a "luxury"; who can say that they are so perfect that they would not benefit from being better able to understand, evaluate and discuss the opinions of others, even if they don't agree with them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 332
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Who else agrees? I was having this argument with a couple people; me and my friend do writing subjects and are predicted A/A*'s and the people who we were debating with are Science/Maths students predicted the same.

I think subjects like Maths and Science especially are synoptic, it's more to do with being able to remember things like atoms and molecules than raw talent. Maths is a lil different because you have to be smart to understand mathematical concepts etc, but overall i think it's synoptic. I think if your mind can absorb loads of knowledge easily then you will excel at both subjects.

English Literature on the other hand takes raw talent, English students who do well have the ability to interpret a piece of Literature in numerous ways, which takes skill. It's not just knowing what the makes an atom or what x + y is which can be learned through intense revision. It's more to do with raw talent, English Students writing is stylized, cohesive and structured, it takes skill to be able to structure a piece of writing and analyse texts etc.

I dunno, that's just what i think, i'm not saying it's right so don't go all crazy on me, i just want opinions.

HEY, don't you think i should get a medal or some shiz for creating such a LEGEN...wait for it...DARY, thread? I mean i brought so many of you TSR users together, one of you be a dear and start a petition for me :smile:

O yeah, i still stand by my statement and stop commenting on the title, we're all susceptible to typos.

Absolutely disagree.

Science involves a deep and thorough understanding of fundamental concepts which can be applied to many contexts and you have to understand and figure out how they work.
English Literature is the analysis of texts which you can then building an arguement on - as a scientist who does Eng Lit Alevel I can tell you that people in my science class could do what I do in English. Most of them have A*/A in English Lit/Language GCSE but the people in my english class have poor science GCSE's and they would struggle in science.
I think those who have a mixture of good Science and English grades are the smartest.

There are people who have A* GCSE grades in maths and science but get C's and less in English. And vice versa for those who aren't very science focused.

If you can get a good balance in both, then it shows that you aren't a one trick pony.
No one answered my question .....

Reply 335
Original post by beelz
OP is not talking about maths in general, he is talking about A level. A level maths is very different to STEP and while STEP is very hard you can get a good grade in A level maths by doing a few past papers since the same questions pretty much always come up - it pretty much is simple addition.

I do maths and science A levels and I found it much harder to get an A* in english literature GCSE than maths and further maths A level (although I think chemistry A level is harder because there's so much to memorise).

Obviously you haven't seen last Friday's Edexcel M4 paper. I wouldn't have liked being asked to do so much innovative thinking in 90 minutes, and I've got a First in Maths. Almost every question was unlike anything ever set before. Anyone getting an A in that is truly creative, in my opinion - and not in the debased use of the word "creative" which just means creating something in a discipline where there are no objective standards of what is correct and incorrect.
Reply 336
Original post by xiyangliu
No one answered my question .....

Heres a clue because no one gave a **** about it. When you learn to spell properly then we will take you seriously.
Reply 337
I'm going to leave this thread now. Not because you have won some sort of desperate victory, but because I find there is little point in arguing. Being such a mature student, I'm sure you can agree. Finally, trying to prove a point over the internet is pointless. Time is of the essence and so is your blood pressure.

Alas; parting is such sweet sorrow.

It is better to have debated a question with out settling it, than to settle it without debate

Adieu

Original post by PhysicsGirl
I find it interesting that this thread has morphed from being about "intelligence" to the validity of English Literature as a subject, against the validity of science as a subject. Whilst I am firmly against the title of the thread, I also find myself slightly depressed by the number of people insisting that English Literature is not respected, valued or worthwhile when compared with sciences. For me, studying English Literature is about studying how ideas have been expressed for centuries, examining how authors, poets, playwrights and speakers have chosen to communicate and what has influenced them, creating a rich and vast map of past, present and future cultures, feelings, ideologies and identities. As a subject, it is challenging, fascinating and emotive, presenting opportunities to debate issues spanning all areas of society and how people represent or are influenced by the world around them. It is arrogant to deem it a "luxury"; who can say that they are so perfect that they would not benefit from being better able to understand, evaluate and discuss the opinions of others, even if they don't agree with them?

I don't dismiss Literature however my personal opinion is that sciences are harder. Well you gotta be ready when you read such threads because you know that people will be ready to slander what you like. I do believe that Literature is elegant but studying it is of no use to me because the place I aim to reach has no space for such. I believe that most of the things above can be achieved without studying the subject.

That's my honest opinion so don't take it personally. It is surprising that you would defend it so much considering you will study Natural Sciences.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's a great shame that the government are putting such a heavy slant on science and technology within the National Curriculum. Pure and simply, this slant is based on money. It is science and technology that will boost the UK's economy in the long term. It's fantastic to see so many people passionately defending the value of the sciences, of course they are stimulating subjects and of course they benefit society - we all want to see a cure for cancer. Yet I am baffled by the view that somehow the sciences are superior to the arts as they lead to jobs. This is exactly the sort of thinking that drives the government's scientific policy and exactly the sort of thinking we should try to evade. Every human being has their interests, and the basis that such interests "don't lead to jobs" as a way of criticising these people is obscene. The government should be spending just as much money on the arts as the sciences for the benefit of these people - arts can be comforting, self-affirming, eye-opening and furthermore fun. The money should always come second to the person and it is the suppressing of artistic movements that, I believe, drives people to create threads such as this - the arts deserve their place!
Original post by Chris Evans
I think it's a great shame that the government are putting such a heavy slant on science and technology within the National Curriculum. Pure and simply, this slant is based on money. It is science and technology that will boost the UK's economy in the long term. It's fantastic to see so many people passionately defending the value of the sciences, of course they are stimulating subjects and of course they benefit society - we all want to see a cure for cancer. Yet I am baffled by the view that somehow the sciences are superior to the arts as they lead to jobs. This is exactly the sort of thinking that drives the government's scientific policy and exactly the sort of thinking we should try to evade. Every human being has their interests, and the basis that such interests "don't lead to jobs" as a way of criticising these people is obscene. The government should be spending just as much money on the arts as the sciences for the benefit of these people - arts can be comforting, self-affirming, eye-opening and furthermore fun. The money should always come second to the person and it is the suppressing of artistic movements that, I believe, drives people to create threads such as this - the arts deserve their place!

If government didn't encourage people to be in jobs, how would government be able to fund the arts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending