The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

I don't do english lit, so I'm not gonna give my opinion on that.
But as a humanities student (languages) who is also doing maths a level - firstly there is no point trying to use maths gcse to compare, there is a massive difference between anything at gcse and a level, be it sciences or humanities. Secondly, I could 'absorb' all the new equations I learn at a level but at A level you don't just learn an equation or two for each different question you could be asked, you've got to be able to look at a problem, identify theories and equations which can help you and try lot's of different methods to get to your solutions - it takes a lot of determination and a very sound grasp of theories etc. Also don't forget it isn't just pure maths - mechanics, statistics etc

Anyway, I do like the challenge maths presents (and it's a nice change to my timetable), but I mostly do humanities and I do prefer them just because I prefer the way I'm challenged with languages - discussing political/social/moral issues, learning about different cultures, bit of a grammar nerd too :P ANYYYWAY this is not about english lit so I'll shh (although I do french literature and yes it is challenging too, of course, as you have to be very good with structuring essays and conveying ideas clearly, and know the themes and historical background to the novel/play etc you're studying back to front)

Basically it depends on how you like to be challenged, so let's stop trying to compare them please!
Reply 101
Interesting notion, but mathematics,physics and chemistry is straying away from memory. This is evident in the 'function skills' format exam boards are adamant to apply almost everywhere. Functional skills questions are difficult as they require you to first recognise what kind of question they are asking. It usually combines two different subjects into one and then from that you go ahead and the answer the question. These questions are often worth 6-12 marks and if you cannot interpret them correctly then well your screwed? With English lit you can interpret them and there is no correct interpretation therefore perhaps science and maths related subjects have now become harder than what you previously thought of them?
Reply 102
as a an A-Level English Lit, Maths and Physics student I can tell you that my Lit exam consisted of re-writing things about poems/novels that my teacher had to us previously - not much analysing or thinking there.

Maths and Physics required lots of thinking, analysing and calculating.

Predicted A's in all 3
If we're talking about GCSE's here then this is pointless. Even though English Lit requirs your own creativity, both of the subjects are relatively easy in getting good grades. However, A-level is different. It's not just about memorizing facts in science, you need to know how to apply it. In fact, the science a levels are probably the most hard - much more difficult than English Lit. I'm not criticizing English lit as I love it too but the science a levels are definitely harder than English.
(edited 11 years ago)
No.

It makes you better at English.
Reply 105
Original post by Alevelsareboring
It's obviously a typo you idiot, was my question below that full of typo's...no dumb bimbo, hate when idiots try an belittle a whole argument because of a small element of it was incorrect. I hate it even more when they look like a prize idiot/air head in their photo also.

I actually find this hilarious calling me an idiot when I am on an A* in both english literature and language - and I'm in year 10 doing it early! Yeah, I'm totally an idiot when I'm expected to get nothing lower than an A. Also 'typo's' does something belong to the 'typo'? The possessive apostrophe suggests so, yet another mistake. Well done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
Someone good at maths would be better at english lit compared to someone doing english lit doing maths.

For example,I know someone who dropped maths after GCSE and can't do simple algebra anymore. That's like forgetting how to read in eng lit terms.

Also at A-level, English lit is basically memorising themes, ideas etc.
Reply 107
Yeah because me using "does" by accident belittles my whole argument right? Idiot.

The funny thing is that I agreed with your argument, but obviously you start being defensive and judging people 'air head' before you give them a chance. Wise choice...
Original post by alj123
I actually find this hilarious calling me an idiot when I am on an A* in both english literature and language - and I'm in year 10 doing it early! Yeah, I'm totally an idiot when I'm expected to get nothing lower than an A. Also 'typo's' does something belong to the 'typo'? The possessive apostrophe suggests so, yet another mistake. Well done.

You know what, apologies, i was little harsh on you in my last post. Well done with your A* and screw the apostrophe part this is TSR, i would not right as i'm writing now in an exam.
Original post by alj123
The funny thing is that I agreed with your argument, but obviously you start being defensive and judging people 'air head' before you give them a chance. Wise choice...

Well, citing the fact that i made a grammatical error in the title doesn't exactly sound like your going to support my argument now does it?
Original post by Aeschylus
Oh the irony.

Archimedes will be remembered when Aeschylus is forgotten, because languages die and mathematical ideas do not.
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Archimedes will be remembered when Aeschylus is forgotten, because languages die and mathematical ideas do not.

As long as humans exercise tyranny over each other Aeschylus will be remembered.
Reply 112
Considering the wording and dreadful grammar of this thread title, I find it worrying that you are predicted an A* at anything, especially English Lit :s-smilie:
I think maths people can be a bit stupid - you ask them why some maths works the way it does in a problem, and they end up just telling you what to do. Just like computers that don't know why they are doing works...
Reply 114
You know what, apologies, i was little harsh on you in my last post. Well done with your A* and screw the apostrophe part this is TSR, i would not right as i'm writing now in an exam.

Thanks, apology accepted. And yes, i do agree with your post. Language is needed all throughout life, but finding the volume of a cube isn't as necessary :smile: I think that English is easier than Maths but that's because English is my strength :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by Dislocator
I think maths people can be a bit stupid - you ask them why some maths works the way it does in a problem, and they end up just telling you what to do. Just like computers that don't know why they are doing works...

Exactly. There are many pointless rules in Maths, that when you ask it 'just works' but they cannot be explained...
As someone who does a range of both- English lit, Bio, Chem, Maths (I'm doing Physics AS in my spare time now)

It's really a questions of personal taste. I am far more natural at sciences so I find them easier, however I wouldn't say I am smarter than those who are good at English.

One issue I do have is when people aren't broad enough and then compare others who do completely different subject areas than them, and often make assumptions about their subjects.
Reply 117

"People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than people who does the same in Science?

"me and my friend do writing subjects"

lol
Original post by Aeschylus
As long as humans exercise tyranny over each other Aeschylus will be remembered.

Tyranny is transient, but egalitarianism is undying. The notion of equality is analogous with mathematical concepts: symmetry, mandelbrot sets, et cetera.

I'm just japing with you my friend. I find both Mathematics and English to be cardinal, the fundamental facets of who we are. Maths bestows us with the succinct rigour of beauty, whilst English can be a speculative subject which opens up many paths of enlightenment.
Reply 119
Original post by AspiringGenius
As someone who does a range of both- English lit, Bio, Chem, Maths (I'm doing Physics AS in my spare time now)

It's really a questions of personal taste. I am far more natural at sciences so I find them easier, however I wouldn't say I am smarter than those who are good at English.

One issue I do have is when people aren't broad enough and then compare others who do completely different subject areas than them, and often make assumptions about their subjects.

Is biology good at A Level to take with English?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending