The Student Room Group

A2 Coursework - Piaget's formal operational stage & science subjects?

Hi everyone,
For my A2 coursework (AQA Spec B) I have done the following investigation:

Aim: To see whether students studying science subjects at A Level have a greater ability for abstract thought and therefore are more likely to be able to complete formal operational tasks than students studying non-science subjects.

Experimental hypothesis: A participant's ability to complete abstract logic tasks is significantly affected by whether or not they study science subjects at A Level.

So basically, I chose to do something on cognitive development and this links to Piaget's formal operational stage of cognitive development. For my actual study I got Ps to complete logic problems such as those you'd find on a IQ test.

Anyway, am now trying to write the introduction for the study in which I need to include some background research on the general area. I'm a bit stuck, have searched the Internet, but can't really find any similar studies to cite other than those in the textbooks.
Also...it was my teacher's suggestion to 'assume' that student's studying science subjects would be better at abstract thought because science subjects means you 'practice' abstract thought more (if you get what I mean...) and I'm not really sure how to justify this.

Can anyone give me any pointers re the above two points?
Thanks very much for your help
dooby x x

Latest

Trending

Trending