The Student Room Group

Topless This Summer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plimsolls
why do you feel you need other people to look at your tits? Removing the two small triangles of fabric isn't going to make much difference in terms of your comfort level in the heat.

If you have a great physique, flaunt it. What's the point of all that hard work in the gym not to show it off? Besides, some people would feel uncomfortable having their sweaty shirt stuck to them all day.
Reply 21
Original post by Locogooner
If you have a great physique, flaunt it. What's the point of all that hard work in the gym not to show it off? Besides, some people would feel uncomfortable having their sweaty shirt stuck to them all day.

Well if you've got a nice pair of breasts sweet cheeks, get em out. xx
Humanity is so strange. Express an interest in not deliberately covering up particular parts of your body and suddenly you're either attention seeking, disgusting or 'a slut', just because you don't want to accept the irrational sense of shame that others try to press on anyone who isn't embarrassed about having a physical form.
Am I the only one that found this strange? Why would you want your family members to see your breasts?
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Am I the only one that found this strange? Why would you want your family members to see your breasts?

She might come from a nudist family.
Sunbathing topless is a common thing to do but don't stroll up and down the beach like it you will look like a show off.
Original post by Chumbaniya
Humanity is so strange. Express an interest in not deliberately covering up particular parts of your body and suddenly you're either attention seeking, disgusting or 'a slut', just because you don't want to accept the irrational sense of shame that others try to press on anyone who isn't embarrassed about having a physical form.

Eloquent post.
Reply 27
Original post by JessicaUk
It is choice....some girls like to and some girls don't. Men have the choice, so should girls.

Men don't have breasts though (well, the majority don't...)
A lot of the male antagonism is to do with women having confidence in themselves and their body. It is very difficult for men to treat topless women as people rather than sex objects. Rather than confront their shallowness they dislike topless woman who make them feel uncomfortable about their internal monologue. Also a lot of men sulk at the thought of these naked pretty girls not having sex with them which manifests itself as hatred and unbridled sexism.

Which is all very ironic when you consider the normal misogynistic response to seeing BREASTS would be lusting like a wild pack of dogs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom

Original post by Mexican Red Knee
She might come from a nudist family.

Or perhaps, as her family are the closest people to her who don't (or certainly shouldn't) have any problem accepting the way she looks, it is a complete non issue for them.

Original post by SquaredCircle
A lot of the male antagonism is to do with women having confidence in themselves and their body. It is very difficult for men to treat topless women as people rather than sex objects. Rather than confront their shallowness they dislike topless woman who make them feel uncomfortable about their internal monologue. Also a lot of men sulk at the thought of these naked pretty girls not having sex with them which manifests itself as hatred and unbridled sexism.

Which is all very ironic when you consider the normal misogynistic response to seeing BREASTS would be lusting like a wild pack of dogs.

This sounds like it's about on the money. Historically, a lot of anger about sex, sexuality and nudity comes from an unwillingness to face up to desires or questions people have (I suppose homophobia often being based on a fear of contemplating the possibility of gay sex is the classic example).

I think it's particularly interesting that it's often seen as degrading for women to be viewed in a sexual context, particularly since the same is rarely true for men. I've never really made an association between considering a woman to be sexually attractive and respecting her less as an individual - a trend which, when you get into it, has some pretty strange implications.
Or perhaps, as her family are the closest people to her who don't (or certainly shouldn't) have any problem accepting the way she looks, it is a complete non issue for them.

Possibly, I still think sunbathing topless is unnecessary.
Reply 31
Do it and if you get into a compromising situation etc
Get dressed again also stop thinking about this just enjoy yourself.
In general:
I don't see the problem. If we're all equals then we should all have the choice to remove our tops and reveal our chests. We shouldn't have to hide our bodies, we should accept them etc.. It should be a choice...

Personally:
I really don't care. I just wouldn't do it myself as I'm very awkward around my body...
I never do it, I just see it as completely unnecessary and attention seeking, the same as with people (men and women) wearing thongs on the beach, just no need. But if people want to do it it's up to them, I don't think it's disgusting.
Oh no, your guess what, your gonna feature in 'Sun, Sex and suspicious Parents Series 3' on bbc1.
Original post by Mexican Red Knee
Possibly, I still think sunbathing topless is unnecessary.

Nobody suggested it was necessary. But why is sunbathing with a top on necessary, or at least better?

Everyone seems very focused around the idea that taking off the top part of a bikini is very significant, but there's a vast amount of conditioning that goes into this response which many don't stop to consider. What's significant is that we, as a culture, consider two small triangles of fabric over particular parts of the upper body to be of great importance. It's putting the bikini top on which is the action that's really interesting.
:lolwut:
It really is not appropriate to do in public.
If you want to sort out tan lines, get bikinis that you can tan through.

There is a difference between accepting the way somebody looks and being comfortable with seeing them naked, at least I think so. I don't have a problem whatsoever with others being topless or with people being naked. However, I don't have a problem with how my sisters look, but I don't want to see their breasts or see them naked. It would just feel completely weird if I were to, and it would make me feel horribly uncomfortable.
I can't comprehend the stupidity in this thread. Girls take their tops off to get tanned boobs. It's not attention seeking, and I bet most girls who do it wish that they could have some peace. Tan lines look ridiculous half way across your boobs if you're tanned like a mexican with pale triangles. I applaud the girls who do it because they feel liberated and uninhibited by irrational insecurity. The girls who are saying it's inappropriate and attention seeking are just jealous because they don't like their own boobs. Get a grip people, it's the 21st century.

Quick Reply

Latest