The Student Room Group

Head Boy Speech : Opinions please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by geetar
Get rid of the tree analogy.

I second this.

I would be like the manure This part had me in a fit of laughter. I'm sorry if thats not the reaction you were hoping for.
Original post by Shahrukh9000
Do explain why I should lose the quote? A lot of people have said they liked it.
What exactly is "the crap"?
How am I supposed to know what others want?

Since you seen to know a lot about the role of Head Boy, do tell me what it involves and how I can change my speech to be able to achieve this role?

Because it's just going to bore people to tears :colonhash: On paper you might think it looks good to you but when you're on stage no one cares about that. More than likely it'll just make you look like an idiot.

I am joint Head Boy in my year after a tie. Have you campaigned yet? Put posters up, offer free sweets and cakes and suck up to all the teachers as they get a vote too. Your dignity should be hanging by a thread by the end of it. I didn't have much to begin with so... :smug:

In the actual speech itself you need to engage the audience. Do something different, make people laugh, get some music. The actual content of the speech could be ****, but the atmosphere you create is WAY more important than anything else. I had jokes and tried to be casual, but also tried to make a good point. I asked the audience questions and conversed with them.

Scrap all that pretentious stuff, it's just going to come off as lame.
Reply 42
Original post by manchesterunited15
Lol'd :clap2:

Original post by tsrstar
I second this.

I would be like the manure This part had me in a fit of laughter. I'm sorry if thats not the reaction you were hoping for.

That's exactly the reaction I was looking for actually. :smile:
I would be like the manure which the gardener spreads to enrich the ground, just that little added extra which can make a big difference.

Seriously?If I were you I would blag the damn speech.
Can you please explain what's cringeworthy or which sections are cringeworthy?

The Thoreau quote is pretty cringeworthy.
"I would be like the manure which the gardener spreads to enrich the ground, just that little added extra which can make a big difference." - Really?

Lets not forget "I have the compassion to listen" either.

Are you at a private school? If not then I'm sorry but you will get constant abuse for the rest of the year :laugh:

"I will be the manure" :awesome:
Reply 46
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Because it's just going to bore people to tears :colonhash: On paper you might think it looks good to you but when you're on stage no one cares about that. More than likely it'll just make you look like an idiot.

I am joint Head Boy in my year after a tie. Have you campaigned yet? Put posters up, offer free sweets and cakes and suck up to all the teachers as they get a vote too. Your dignity should be hanging by a thread by the end of it. I didn't have much to begin with so... :smug:

In the actual speech itself you need to engage the audience. Do something different, make people laugh, get some music. The actual content of the speech could be ****, but the atmosphere you create is WAY more important than anything else. I had jokes and tried to be casual, but also tried to make a good point. I asked the audience questions and conversed with them.

Scrap all that pretentious stuff, it's just going to come off as lame.

Ok fair enough.

The thing is in my school we don't get to campaign, we just got told we had to do speeches a couple of days ago and now have to prepare a speech in about a week. Campaigning is not allowed. The teachers also do not get a vote in my school.

I would love to make people laugh and even use music but I can't think of a way to implement them so it makes sense and links with my actual speech.

I love the idea of jokes and conversing with the audience but again I cant think of relevant jokes. Also what questions to ask the audience?

I think I will cut out some of the cheesy, pretentious garbage :wink:
Reply 47
Original post by manchesterunited15
Are you at a private school? If not then I'm sorry but you will get constant abuse for the rest of the year :laugh:

"I will be the manure" :awesome:

Nah public school :biggrin:
I've decided not to say it :wink:
Reply 48
Original post by johndoranglasgow
The Thoreau quote is pretty cringeworthy.
"I would be like the manure which the gardener spreads to enrich the ground, just that little added extra which can make a big difference." - Really?

Lets not forget "I have the compassion to listen" either.

Ok thanks for pointing those out, now that I those about they seem quite bad haha
Reply 49

But you're saying 'hey guys, i'm the **** thats spread around this school, so yeah, vote for me' :wink:

Actually, i would probally keep the manure analogy, you'll get a few laughs :tongue:
The tree analogy is one of the cheesiest things I have ever read, and I have read the ingredients of a Babybel. :biggrin:
Reply 51
So should I keep the tree/manure analogy because it is funny, will get me a few laughs and spices up the speech? Or should I get rid of it because it is stupid, cheesy and will result in me getting made fun of for the rest of the year?
Ok fair enough.

The thing is in my school we don't get to campaign, we just got told we had to do speeches a couple of days ago and now have to prepare a speech in about a week. Campaigning is not allowed. The teachers also do not get a vote in my school.

I would love to make people laugh and even use music but I can't think of a way to implement them so it makes sense and links with my actual speech.

I love the idea of jokes and conversing with the audience but again I cant think of relevant jokes. Also what questions to ask the audience?

I think I will cut out some of the cheesy, pretentious garbage :wink:

That's fine if you can't make jokes, the guy I'm sharing the position with didn't make any jokes (though he did sing a little). Maybe make a few jokes at yourself a little.

Okay this is where I cheated a little. I got people to deliberately ask me questions but some came spontaneously. When engaging the audience it is CRUCIAL that you are open and casual. I made Diary Of A Badman references which got a few laughs because it was popular at the time (my school catches onto trends eons after the bandwagon has passed :colonhash: ).

Just try and create a really nice atmosphere.
Reply 53
Do explain why I should lose the quote? A lot of people have said they liked it.
What exactly is "the crap"?
How am I supposed to know what others want?

Since you seen to know a lot about the role of Head Boy, do tell me what it involves and how I can change my speech to be able to achieve this role?

Lose the quote because you fail, you crash and burn so miserably at the context of making "our days better". It's like your showing everyone the phenomenal records and abilities held by the best athletes, and then falling face-down on your chubby little flanks after the first step. The crap, as much as I'll say that it's tragic you can't see for yourself, is how your views are affecting your speech, and your annoying tone. When you write that the pupil council is absolutely useless - that's a really subjective statement. It may just be that everyone agrees - say that, then. Don't forget you're talking to an audience who most likely knows nothing about you. You come across as if though you're talking to a dear friend; don't half-expect people to know roughly what you mean without saying it. Your statement is flooded with cringe-making utterances, such as "I'm sure you will agree with me", "obviously football", "non-sporty things", "....although you might be tempted to do that". You give your ideas and not even the briefest hint how you will go about to do any of these things. You must laugh at your own jokes - what you think might be funny - really - isn't. Get off your high horse and look at what a down-to-earth speech is like. Watch a TED talk and look at the different ways people present their ideas.

And really, you're asking how on earth you're meant to know what other people want? Why are you applying to be a Head Boy? How can you possibly go to the average student who's feeling troubled and saying, 'I hear you, I'm there?', let alone possess the ability to motivate and lead teams?

And no, I'm no expert in knowing what the job description of a Head Boy is. It's just common sense. You can disagree with me as much as you want, but don't shun me or others for offering our comments/advice when you asked for it.
This is a totally new concept to me. At my school we filled out an application form with our name, birthday, grades and space for a small paragraph of why you wanted to do it. I think there was three applications for head girl and two for head boy so you were guaranteed to get some sort of title.
TLDR :colonhash:
Reply 56
Ok thank you that's a good point.

I assume you mean the Henry David Thoreau quote "I cannot make my days longer...", right? I do come back to at the end with the last line, is that not enough?

How could I change the intro (in bold) to make it more interesting and attention grabbing?
Also I will take out the tree thing (underlined).

Any other changes I should make?

No because not enough emphasis is put on it initially. Some of your audience may not even understand your last line
Reply 57
Original post by Vybz Kartel
TLDR :colonhash:

I don't understand...

Original post by janet9
Lose the quote because you fail, you crash and burn so miserably at the context of making "our days better". It's like your showing everyone the phenomenal records and abilities held by the best athletes, and then falling face-down on your chubby little flanks after the first step. The crap, as much as I'll say that it's tragic you can't see for yourself, is how your views are affecting your speech, and your annoying tone. When you write that the pupil council is absolutely useless - that's a really subjective statement. It may just be that everyone agrees - say that, then. Don't forget you're talking to an audience who most likely knows nothing about you. You come across as if though you're talking to a dear friend; don't half-expect people to know roughly what you mean without saying it. Your statement is flooded with cringe-making utterances, such as "I'm sure you will agree with me", "obviously football", "non-sporty things", "....although you might be tempted to do that". You give your ideas and not even the briefest hint how you will go about to do any of these things. You must laugh at your own jokes - what you think might be funny - really - isn't. Get off your high horse and look at what a down-to-earth speech is like. Watch a TED talk and look at the different ways people present their ideas.

And really, you're asking how on earth you're meant to know what other people want? Why are you applying to be a Head Boy? How can you possibly go to the average student who's feeling troubled and saying, 'I hear you, I'm there?', let alone possess the ability to motivate and lead teams?

And no, I'm no expert in knowing what the job description of a Head Boy is. It's just common sense. You can disagree with me as much as you want, but don't shun me or others for offering our comments/advice when you asked for it.

First of all, I never meant to come across as rude, I simply requested that you explain what you meant by your statements, after all what good is criticism if it isn't constructive right?

Your comments about the quote are valid, I can sort of see your point. Thanks for the comment, I'll think about it.

About the pupil council, I'll probably change it to say that I have spoken to a lot of its members(which I have) and found that it has not realized its full potential and will try to remedy this. I'll also change the strong criticisms about the council to be less negative.

Fair points about some of the quotes.

Could you please link me to a TED talk as I don't know what that is.

Would some sort of suggestion box do the trick for collecting people's ideas. I'll mention that if anybody has any concerns or ideas then they can either speak to me or if they would rather not, write it on some paper along with their name and class and I could chat with them?
Reply 58
Tone down the spin.

Turn up the colloquial.

ATM it seems a bit worthy. Be real.

<3 x
LOL at comparing yourself to manure :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending