Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Because the intelligent would rather know than believe.
    You believe plenty of things you don't know

1) Existence of external world
    2) Your memory is accurate (mainly)
    3) The fact you existence 5minutes ago

etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

etc..
    All of which I have plenty of evidence for believing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Am I the only one laughing at this? you are proving arrggh right. He is saying there is no argument for being religious just as there is no argument for racism. However, you say it is a belief and not asscoiated with intelligence but 10 minutes ago ppl were calling racists "stupid"
    Racism is not about putting faith in an unknown. It's about prejudice. Therefore it's stupidity.

It's not stupid to be religious, and not intelligent to be secular.

You are now welcome to join me in laughing at yourself now.

ReputationRep:
    All of which I have plenty of evidence for believing.
    Such as...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

etc..
    But we do know our memory is accurate science can prove that and lol video tape shows us that we were here 5 minutes ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Racism is not about putting faith in an unknown. It's about prejudice. Therefore it's stupidity.

While rascism is not putting faith in a non-existant entity as is the case with religion, you could argue that rascism is a belief in itself. By that logic, how can you argue rascists are stupid? It's just a belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    But we do know our memory is accurate science can prove that and lol video tape shows us that we were here 5 minutes ago
    No, the whole world popped into existence 5minutes ago and we cam complete with a full memory. Sorry to inform you!

ReputationRep:
    Because the intelligent would rather know than believe.
    But with god we can't know he doesn't exist. With these grey areas it's up to your belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Such as...
    Corey, please tell me you're not going to ask me to provide an argument for the existence in the external world.

ReputationRep:
    Corey, please tell me you're not going to ask me to provide an argument for the existence in the external world.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    While rascism is not putting faith in a non-existant entity as is the case with religion, you could argue that rascism is a belief in itself. By that logic, how can you argue rascists are stupid? It's just a belief.
    Racism is not a belief, it's a judgment. And a stupid one at that.

ReputationRep:

lol i always laugh at myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    No, the whole world popped into existence 5minutes ago and we cam complete with a full memory. Sorry to inform you!
    when u say external world what do u mean?

ReputationRep:
    But with god we can't know he doesn't exist. With these grey areas it's up to your belief.
    By that logic, I could say we can't know leprauchauns don't exist. Also, you cannot prove that my god, Bob, who I have just invented right now, doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    when u say external world what do u mean?
    Eveything external to yourself, infact while were at it why don't you prove the existence of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    By that logic, I could say we can't know leprauchauns don't exist. Also, you cannot prove that my god, Bob, who I have just invented right now, doesn't exist.
    wanna join joshianity, named after me of course, it involves drinking rum and coke and ordering pizza... or maybe chicken fingers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Eveything external to yourself, infact while were at it why don't you prove the existence of yourself.
    I think therefore I am

ReputationRep:
    Fine by me. It doesn't matter if I don't know or can't prove, I choose not to have a belief on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Corey, there is ample evidence for the existence of the external world. I can touch, feel, smell and interact with external objects. There is not one single shred of evidence for the existence of god, except for jesus christ's occasional cammeo appearances on the dishcloths of hysterical devout christian nuns in south america.

ReputationRep:
    Corey, there is ample evidence for the existence of the external world. I can touch, feel, smell and interact with external objects. There is not one single shred of evidence for the existence of god, except for jesus christ's occasional cammeo appearances on the dishcloths of hysterical devout christian nuns in south america.
    you have it all wrong man........................ not dishcloths.... TACOS

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.