Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    are you religious?

and yes they can tracked.. BUT NO ONE CAN PROVE IF THEY ARE FACTUAL.. can u prove that jesus was not just a radical like we have today, did muhammed talk to god, moses? no one can prove that
    No but I went to the two most famous Roman Catholic schools inthe country. I am well up on most things religious especially christian beliefs and its origins.

The simple answer is Man. Without the wandering and inquesitive mind of man, there would be no gods. Man tried to explain things in the past with gods, this no longer applies today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    No but I went to the two most famous Roman Catholic schools inthe country. I am well up on most things religious especially christian beliefs and its origins.

The simple answer is Man. Without the wandering and inquesitive mind of man, there would be no gods. Man tried to explain things in the past with gods, this no longer applies today.
    ya i agree with you there, lol if i went to catholic school i would get beaten every day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    wanna join joshianity, named after me of course, it involves drinking rum and coke and ordering pizza... or maybe chicken fingers
    lol, missed this post before. I should probably come clean about the whole 'Bob' thing. I didn't actually make him up on the spot. I used to be the fellow highpriest of a relgion called 'Monkeydom', and our god was called Bob. This is true. We had many converts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    That is what I reckon too actually. Not all of the questions are answered yet though, but they will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    ya i agree with you there, lol if i went to catholic school i would get beaten every day
    I would be expelled in 5 minutes. If we went to the same school I would have you a race, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Joey, hardly its just some very basic philosophy. Don't judge me because of the areas that interest me, just like I don't judge you because you are interested in classics.

aaarrrgh, I will continue it in PM with you if you want, but what you are saying is indeed logically flawed. You could also get a better answer if I haven't explained it clearly enough from the other philosophical type on the forum (Gnostic/Rushda/llama boy) or philosophy forums

Back to politics though.....New Labour = Old tory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    lol, missed this post before. I should probably come clean about the whole 'Bob' thing. I didn't actually make him up on the spot. I used to be the fellow highpriest of a relgion called 'Monkeydom', and our god was called Bob. This is true. We had many converts.
    wouldn't it be great if we had debates whether the scriptures called on us to get drunk with pizza or with chicken fingers.. now that would be a good discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Joey, hardly its just some very basic philosophy. Don't judge me because of the areas that interest me, just like I don't judge you because you are interested in classics.

aaarrrgh, I will continue it in PM with you if you want, but what you are saying is indeed logically flawed. You could also get a better answer if I haven't explained it clearly enough from the other philosophical type on the forum (Gnostic/Rushda/llama boy) or philosophy forums

Back to politics though.....New Labour = Old tory?
    Feel free to send me a pm. One of my my favourite sites is http://www.thewaronfaith.com it can be very direct and a bit harsh sometimes, but it's also a great resource and some of the links from the site are excellent. Give it a chance.

Thanks for the philosophy link. I will have a look at it.

ReputationRep:
    ok back to politics... does every family have atleast one right wing reactionary in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    ok back to politics... does every family have atleast one right wing reactionary in it?
    My family has a few with right wing viewpoints. Although I think I'm the most politically minded out of my whole family. And I'm not exactly right wing.

ReputationRep:
    My family has a few with right wing viewpoints. Although I think I'm the most politically minded out of my whole family. And I'm not exactly right wing.
    I have f*cked up political views...... I am pro-choice, anti-religion but I like the right wing economic policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I have f*cked up political views...... I am pro-choice, anti-religion but I like the right wing economic policies
    I have to admit I am still making my mind up as to where I stand in the whole political scheme of things. It just happens to be the case that I tend to take the viewpoint considered to be on the left on most issues. What appeals to you particularly about right wing economic policies?

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit I am still making my mind up as to where I stand in the whole political scheme of things. It just happens to be the case that I tend to take the viewpoint considered to be on the left on most issues. What appeals to you particularly about right wing economic policies?
    I think it is wrong that taxes affect successful people the most, it is like society is saying don't make as much money as you can. As well, I think they distribute this money in a bad way. The people who pay the most recieve the least. I think the welfare system is abused and that the system makes it impossible for social services to be of any acceptable standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    You can't put people on a nice line for where they stand idelogically, it is much more complex

I would claim myself to see the value of the individual and am very pro maintianing peoples rights alongside duties, and also belief that economic issues should be dealt with on a case by case basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I think it is wrong that taxes affect successful people the most, it is like society is saying don't make as much money as you can. As well, I think they distribute this money in a bad way. The people who pay the most recieve the least. I think the welfare system is abused and that the system makes it impossible for social services to be of any acceptable standard.
    But then I suppose the counter argument is that it makes sense to tax people who can actually afford to pay it. Welfare is a difficult one, and I'm still not completely sure where I stand on the issue. I can see the argument that welfare can be open to abuse, but equally there needs to be support for the poorest people who struggle to find employment.

I do think it's a fair argument that poorer people should be presented with opportunities to improve their own condition. If poor people cannot afford education (and let's face it, very few poor people can afford to send their children to private schools), then the poor just propagate their own kind.

Also in the American welfare system, don't they reward those who get married as opposed to cohabit with a partner? I see this as forcing moralistic values onto people. I actually read part of the act itself, and there was a section that read 'We find that single mothers tend to give birth to less healthy babies than married mothers'. Would have made me laugh, if it wasn't such a serious issue.

I think it's fair to tax the rich slightly more than the poor, although I suppose it really depends on what use you actually make of that income once you have it.

ReputationRep:

I do think it's a fair argument that poorer people should be presented with opportunities to improve their own condition. If poor people cannot afford education (and let's face it, very few poor people can afford to send their children to private schools), then the poor just propagate their own kind.
    HaHa, being "very poor" and not being able to afford private education doesn't mean living in poverty. You'll find that most people who earn a joint income of even £30k would not find it that easy paying 10k a year for one of their children to go to private school.

PS, I like your attitude 'their own kind'.

ReputationRep:
    But then I suppose the counter argument is that it makes sense to tax people who can actually afford to pay it. Welfare is a difficult one, and I'm still not completely sure where I stand on the issue. I can see the argument that welfare can be open to abuse, but equally there needs to be support for the poorest people who struggle to find employment.

Also in the American welfare system, don't they reward those who get married as opposed to cohabit with a partner? I see this as forcing moralistic values onto people. I actually read part of the act itself, and there was a section that read 'We find that single mothers tend to give birth to less healthy babies than married mothers'. Would have made me laugh, if it wasn't such a serious issue.

I think it's fair to tax the rich slightly more than the poor, although I suppose it really depends on what use you actually make of that income once you have it.
    Ok I will use Canada as an example, cuz i live here, The public schools here are very good and the only reason people would go to private school would be to have a status symbol. In my neighbourhood, a pretty nice one, most kids go to York Mills high school, however, I am one street out of the area and I have to go to this school in a bad area, The school is still good and many people that go their are well to do people who live near me but around the school it is all welfare and subsidized housing. These people have the EXACT same education system except they hang around outside the school, rob grade nines and smoke weed. These people don't deserve a public education. And in Canada you are limited to two years on welfare, except these people just go off for 3 months then sign up again. In the us u cant do that and they make you pay back the money you recieve. In Canada the system is being abused and ppl from my area and other people have to pay 53% tax to fund these failing social services. You can only help someone so much but when you pay more then half your income in tax, i think its like that in UK too, you are not working for yourself you are working for the government and the people who depend on hand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Ok I will use Canada as an example, cuz i live here, The public schools here are very good and the only reason people would go to private school would be to have a status symbol. In my neighbourhood, a pretty nice one, most kids go to York Mills high school, however, I am one street out of the area and I have to go to this school in a bad area, The school is still good and many people that go their are well to do people who live near me but around the school it is all welfare and subsidized housing. These people have the EXACT same education system except they hang around outside the school, rob grade nines and smoke weed. These people don't deserve a public education. And in Canada you are limited to two years on welfare, except these people just go off for 3 months then sign up again. In the us u cant do that and they make you pay back the money you recieve. In Canada the system is being abused and ppl from my area and other people have to pay 53% tax to fund these failing social services. You can only help someone so much but when you pay more then half your income in tax, i think its like that in UK too, you are not working for yourself you are working for the government and the people who depend on hand out.
    I suppose my different outlook probably stems from the fact that I've never really seen people who abuse the system for myself. If I were in the same situation as you I'd probably look on it in a similar way. Certainly, I don't think it's fair to allow people to stay on welfare indefinately, albeit even if it is through a loophole, as this is just supporting people in their lazyness. I'm sure not all people on welfare are abusing the system however. To me it sounds like the welfare system itself may need reforming, possibly more so than the actual way it's funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    PS, I like your attitude 'their own kind'.
    lol, oops! You know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    So UKL style means no private ballot?
    No preference voting? Man, this is old school style!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.