Turn on thread page Beta

General Election (UK-Learning Style) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Do you mind if I ask where you live?
    Well MH did go to Burnley.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't see the BNP as a threat, but they are actually thriving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    That should read 'publicly racist'.
    I don't think it should. The intelligent are not ignorant, and they are open minded. They are therefore not intolerant, therefore not racist.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind if I ask where you live?

Worsthorne with Hurstwood is the ward. A very wealthy area, with no racism around at all

ReputationRep:
    At least they aren't going to get voted in I did my year term project on the resurgence of the extreme right in europe and the swiss peoples party is the largest party in the country and they are just as bad as the BNP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    They usually get elected in (northern?) areas where feelings of disillusionment by the government are rife (poverty, unemployment, council estates) and they search for a scape goat - ethnic minorities. The BNP are completely exploitative and tell half-truths and convince people they are reasonable and rational and that makes them all the worse.
    Yeah I agree with that entirely. That's exactly what they did in Burnley (where I believe they have two councillors elected). They exploited the disillusionment of some of the poorest members of communities and turned it into a race issue. They use sentimental language that is popular with people from these backgrounds. Slogans like 'Proud to be British' etc. Unfortunately, they are well organised and are obviously briefed from the top down on how to put themselves accross and the style of language to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Well MH did go to Burnley.
    Hehe, MH made a prick out of himself. He p*ssed off the local conservatives, LAbour, Lib Dems and the BNP. You should have seen the Lancashire Telepgraph ripping into him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Worsthorne with Hurstwood is the ward. A very wealthy area, with no racism around at all
    why would wealthy people support a party that wants the government to control big business and the stock markets?

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the BNP intelligentia.
    An oxymoron. And they are just plain morons. They're the BNP stupidia. It's just really funny my dad's crew kicked them out of Brick Lane!

ReputationRep:
    People let emotions cloud their intelligence when it comes to political views.
    Usually not the politicians themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with that entirely. That's exactly what they did in Burnley (where I believe they have two councillors elected). They exploited the disillusionment of some of the poorest members of communities and turned it into a race issue. They use sentimental language that is popular with people from these backgrounds. Slogans like 'Proud to be British' etc. Unfortunately, they are well organised and are obviously briefed from the top down on how to put themselves accross and the style of language to use.

Your completely and utterly wrong. Its not your fault though, you can blame the BBC for that.

There is only ONE ward where the BNP have control which I would describe as run down. The rest (about 5 I think now) are very wealthy, educated wards, the reason why the voted BNP was a protest vote, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    An oxymoron. And they are just plain morons. They're the BNP stupidia. It's just really funny my dad's crew kicked them out of Brick Lane!
    My father knows someone who's a member of the BNP, and i very much doubt he'd class him as unintelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Do you dismiss the BNP all together or do you agree with some points like the death penalty for child molestors and assylum seekers can't go through other safe countries to your country. As well, the crack down on crime and reducing immigration......... these aren't racist

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, MH made a prick out of himself. He p*ssed off the local conservatives, LAbour, Lib Dems and the BNP. You should have seen the Lancashire Telepgraph ripping into him.
    Really? From what I read, it sounded as if he'd done a good job! Did he not go and meet the locals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    My father knows someone who's a member of the BNP, and i very much doubt he'd class him as unintelligent.
    Oh I would. Bring the idiot on! Watch him run from the Bengal tiger... cad...

ReputationRep:
    Your completely and utterly wrong. Its not your fault though, you can blame the BBC for that.

There is only ONE ward where the BNP have control which I would describe as run down. The rest (about 5 I think now) are very wealthy, educated wards, the reason why the voted BNP was a protest vote, simple as.
    I still dont understand why well to do people would vote for these communists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Do you dismiss the BNP all together or do you agree with some points like the death penalty for child molestors and assylum seekers can't go through other safe countries to your country. As well, the crack down on crime and reducing immigration......... these aren't racist
    I dismiss the BNP altogether for being racist. And they openly are. And I am part of an ethnic minority, obviously I ain't having their banners and stuff am I?

ReputationRep:
    So if BNP members get elected as councillors, what power do they have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    why would wealthy people support a party that wants the government to control big business and the stock markets?
    It was a protest vote against the fact that the poor wards for the past 15-20 years have had millions of pounds spent on them to create a 'better society'. Fair enough, good idea in practice, but in reality nothing has changed. Its not just that though, they waste money terribly on 'projects' like 'peace gardens' in really run down areas, spend thousands, and two weeks after it has been completed it is vandalised and wrecked.

The reason why people vote BNP in Burnley on the whole is because the rich wards have been so disregared over this time scale they need money spending on them e.g paths replacing etc, but all the money is going into the poor wards and being wasted.

Its rather complocated but another major factor is that most people dont want to see too many asylum seekers coming in claiming benefits.

ReputationRep:

I was basing much of that on a documentary I saw (which I think was on the bbc actually). It followed the bnp going door to door round a very rough looking council estate, and everything in my above post certainly seemed to apply to what I saw in that case. I wasn't aware that the actual areas where the BNP had control were wealthy or educated.

Either way, the BNP do adopt language that sounds appealing and masks what they're really trying to do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.