Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    So if BNP members get elected as councillors, what power do they have?
    Very little, unless they get a majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I still dont understand why well to do people would vote for these communists
    the BNP are not communists! They're far worse than communists!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I'm just arguing unorthodox or extreme political views does not necessarily equal stupidity. It is possible to arrive at any political opinion through rational thought. Of course, a lot depends on your morals and 'open mindedness'.
    I suppose. Racism however is not a political view, and I would quite happily berate a racist for stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    why would wealthy people support a party that wants the government to control big business and the stock markets?
    To stop Jews and Asians getting their hands on them I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Really? From what I read, it sounded as if he'd done a good job! Did he not go and meet the locals?
    I think he went into some hotels, he did that speech you will have seen in a hotel.

Lol, yes indeed, once again the BBC's coverage makes people believe one thing that is far off the mark. Basically the conservatives in the area totally disagree with most of what he said becasue they understand the situation. MH just waltz in for publicity and understands little of the poltics surrounding the region. Sad really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Do you dismiss the BNP all together or do you agree with some points like the death penalty for child molestors and assylum seekers can't go through other safe countries to your country. As well, the crack down on crime and reducing immigration......... these aren't racist
    Munie I would argue that much of this is part of their attempt to gain popular support. Loads of people (I'm not one of them), would support some of these policies, and the BNP use them to gain support while sweeping away their more dangerous racist policies under the carpet.

It would be like electing Hitler because you like his plans for healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Munie I would argue that much of this is part of their attempt to gain popular support. Loads of people (I'm not one of them), would support some of these policies, and the BNP use them to gain support while sweeping away their more dangerous racist policies under the carpet.
    ya i would agree with you, they probably are just intended to gain support then implement the racist policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I think he went into some hotels, he did that speech you will have seen in a hotel.

Lol, yes indeed, once again the BBC's coverage makes people believe one thing that is far off the mark. Basically the conservatives in the area totally disagree with most of what he said becasue they understand the situation. MH just waltz in for publicity and understands little of the poltics surrounding the region. Sad really.
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    They would argue they are nationalistic not racist.
    They would argue that, but that wouldnt make it true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    I was basing much of that on a documentary I saw (which I think was on the bbc actually). It followed the bnp going door to door round a very rough looking council estate, and everything in my above post certainly seemed to apply to what I saw in that case. I wasn't aware that the actual areas where the BNP had control were wealthy or educated.

Either way, the BNP do adopt language that sounds appealing and masks what they're really trying to do.
    Yes, I know the scene. Run down areas, and a skin head with a baby daughter beside him says in a broad lancashire accent 'They are taking all our money''.

Its sad that when the BBC role into town they also talk to a BNP politician, a normal politician and some rough neck. They never pick an educated person, I just hate it, they give Burnley such a bad reputation which is unfounded.

The 'race riots' is another BBC blunder. Nothing to do with rasism in the whole. It was started by two rival drug gangs in Burnley, from a ddeal which went sour. These two gangs just happened to be different race. When it kicked off, people just started fighting for the hell of it like in any other case of fighting.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be nationalistic without being racist?
    You're twsiting the arguement. Whilst they may argue they are nationalistic, they're in fact racist at heart, this is evident in their policies.

ReputationRep:
    They would argue they are nationalistic not racist.
    Well I'm part of the country so being a nationalist would be about defending my interests as much as anyone else's. But they want me out. That's not nationalist at all.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be nationalistic without being racist?
    No I don't mean that. I mean they would argue they're nationalistic because it sounds appealing and manages to hide the truth.

The BNP had an image change during the nineties, and since then they've been very careful about the language and terminology they use in public. Hence the reason I keep turning everything back to language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Well I'm part of the country so being a nationalist would be about defending my interests as much as anyone else's. But they want me out. That's not nationalist at all.
    They mean ethnic nationalism, so in effect you are right because if they cover their policies with nationalism they will still be lying because they would not consider ppl born there but of different colour a part of their nation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I agree with you 100%.

ReputationRep:
    In the midst of this argument i must make an announcement again: VOTE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS!

(don't worry i'll find a way to get rid of that inadequate Kennedy)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to say that the BNP aren't racist! Everyone knows they clearly are. The argument is whether you can arrive at a nationalistic political view without being racist or stupid.
    Of course you can.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to say that the BNP aren't racist! Everyone knows they clearly are. The argument is whether you can arrive at a nationalistic political view without being racist or stupid.
    Being Nationalistic in itself is not a rascist thing, although I would argue when it's taken to a more extreme level it can have a similar effect. For most common people however, the idea of being 'nationalistic' is just what they see to be pride in their country and very little else.

ReputationRep:
    Every political party defends one group's interests more than another's.
    But they don't all define group interests by the colour of a persons skin.

ReputationRep:
    You can be nationalistic without being racist. Nobody was arguing you couldn't.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.