The Student Room Group

Bank HCA (healthcare assistant)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by belis

You should have recived some mendatory training in manula handling etc Try your best to stick to your guns and use equipment properly even if more experienced HCAs will try to talk you into yanking people up the beds and other dodgy practices. You have only got one back and if you do injure a patient you will be in big trouble.

One of the best bits of advice I got for getting other, more experienced HCAs to stick to correct manual handling practices is to play up your newness if you're not feeling confident enough to challenge them outright. We were told by our trainers to say we were on probation, so we had to do it properly. I'm now known as a bit of stickler for keeping to the rules, but I'd rather that than the useful HCA who hurt a patient!

Try and enjoy it. Once you've done a few shifts you'll get in to the swing of it and it won't seem so daunting.
Reply 21
hey guys, thought id give you an update

its going ok, im still not great and don't always know what im doing, but im getting there. its a little awkward answering the questions of relatives though, but it doesn't hurt being honest and saying that im not too sure

im thinking of doing nightshifts this week, what are your experiences of these? and how much more d'yu get paid ?

Hope you are all well and enjoying your holidays (if you aren't working :redface: )
Original post by *Dreamer*
hey guys, thought id give you an update

its going ok, im still not great and don't always know what im doing, but im getting there. its a little awkward answering the questions of relatives though, but it doesn't hurt being honest and saying that im not too sure

im thinking of doing nightshifts this week, what are your experiences of these? and how much more d'yu get paid ?

Hope you are all well and enjoying your holidays (if you aren't working :redface: )

I've just finished from a couple of night shifts. They generally tend to be quieter (I actually prefer them to day shifts). There are less relatives and just less staff in general so you find that you do get to spend more time with the patients. The only down side is I always seem to be fighting sleep between 3am-5am when there is generally nothing to do hah. You do get paid a lot more on night shifts- I get paid £13.40 an hour which is really good in comparison to the £7.11 I get paid during the day time.
And trust me after you've done a couple more shifts you'll be fine. When I first started it, I didn't really like it. Cleaning poo really wasn't appealing to me and the thought of working on different wards and having to get to know all the staff everytime you started a shift was quite daunting but you just learn to get on with it and go with the flow. Talking to relatives also can be difficult especially when you don't really know the full history of the patient. I find that they tend to ask me about results of X-rays/CT scans or how the patient has been getting on. Most of the time I don't know the answers to these questions so I just apologise to them and let them know I'm not permanent on the ward but that I'll tell the nurse to come and give them and update. The relative(s) have always responded to this reply in a positive way.
Do report back again on how things are going, you'll be fine :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Just a quick question for other HCAs.

I work as a full time HCA on an outpatients department and for some reason EVERY member of staff seems to ask me about what I want to do in the future/my background etc. I have a place for medicine next year so I'm trying to work out whether I should tell people.

My biggest fear is that it will filter through to the ward sister who has made life difficult in the past for people who are leaving soon. One HCA, who was leaving a month after I arrived to become a physio, said he asked the sister to be on orthopaedic clinics more to give him more experience but he was taken off all the orthopaedic clinics he was in.

So far I've told a few doctors (because I was interested in what they were doing) and a couple of staff I trust as friends. However, I told one who said "everybody knows." I'm not sure how. Nobody seems surprised when I say.

Is it worth hiding it? The sister did say to me once that she knew I wouldn't be staying for long based on my qualifications but thought it was worth taking me on anyway. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Toppy
Just a quick question for other HCAs.

I work as a full time HCA on an outpatients department and for some reason EVERY member of staff seems to ask me about what I want to do in the future/my background etc. I have a place for medicine next year so I'm trying to work out whether I should tell people.

My biggest fear is that it will filter through to the ward sister who has made life difficult in the past for people who are leaving soon. One HCA, who was leaving a month after I arrived to become a physio, said he asked the sister to be on orthopaedic clinics more to give him more experience but he was taken off all the orthopaedic clinics he was in.

So far I've told a few doctors (because I was interested in what they were doing) and a couple of staff I trust as friends. However, I told one who said "everybody knows." I'm not sure how. Nobody seems surprised when I say.

Is it worth hiding it? The sister did say to me once that she knew I wouldn't be staying for long based on my qualifications but thought it was worth taking me on anyway. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should.

I think you are making it a little complicated than it is :tongue:

Tell the staff that you are friendly with, but ask them to keep it to themselves (and if you tell the select few that you trust, they should)

Or

Tell everybody, and if you are treated differently, I would speak to her manager if you think she is targetting you for leaving soon / going to study medicine

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Toppy

Working in a HCA role is in many cases transitory with the view to progressing to further training. Additionally, as much as I dislike bringing up the gender issue, the fact that a nursing role is an uncommon choice for a young male will undoubtedly lead to others taking more interest in your future career ambitions. I am asked similar questions by a very large proportion of people whom I meet.

I don't see any particular issue with being open about your future medical training, although don't be offended if you receive a slightly uncomplimentary response from some for whatever reason. By any means, there are many staff nurses to whom being a modern matron or clinical site manager at some point in the future is a strong ambition, and those of your own are hardly any different. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Lionheartat20
I think you are making it a little complicated than it is :tongue:

Tell the staff that you are friendly with, but ask them to keep it to themselves (and if you tell the select few that you trust, they should)

Or

Tell everybody, and if you are treated differently, I would speak to her manager if you think she is targetting you for leaving soon / going to study medicine

Good luck :smile:

Original post by Wildebeest
Working in a HCA role is in many cases transitory with the view to progressing to further training. Additionally, as much as I dislike bringing up the gender issue, the fact that a nursing role is an uncommon choice for a young male will undoubtedly lead to others taking more interest in your future career ambitions. I am asked similar questions by a very large proportion of people whom I meet.

I don't see any particular issue with being open about your future medical training, although don't be offended if you receive a slightly uncomplimentary response from some for whatever reason. By any means, there are many staff nurses to whom being a modern matron or clinical site manager at some point in the future is a strong ambition, and those of your own are hardly any different. :smile:

Thanks for the advice. Have either of you been in this situation? What did you do?
Original post by Toppy
Thanks for the advice. Have either of you been in this situation? What did you do?

My manager and close colleagues are aware (note: my situation is a little different, I am a prospective mature applicant), and have been extremely supportive. I don't on principle tell other members of staff or patients for concern that they would view me as 'using' nursing as a stepping stone and little beyond. Though, if you are a hard worker, that view is unlikely to arise and it is more than likely that I am reading too much into it.
Reply 28
Hi Guys,

I have been reading all your messages regarding HCA role. I am changing career paths and have a offer of a HCA post on a Orthopaedic & Trauma ward. I am really looking forward to it. I am at present waiting for CRB check to come through and references.

I was wondering if any of you have worked on a orthopaedic & trauma ward?
Also if anyone can give me any advice or any terminology that staff use to prepare me.

I am sure I will get mandatory training and shadow another HCA but all the information you could give me now would be great!

thanks
P
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you have to be a medical student/ nursing student to be a HCA??, i am currently studying biomedical science but have volunteered at a hospice for 2 years and have got experience in a hospital and have applied to a few places but none of them want to even know. is there anything i can do?
Reply 30
Original post by askingquestions1
Do you have to be a medical student/ nursing student to be a HCA??, i am currently studying biomedical science but have volunteered at a hospice for 2 years and have got experience in a hospital and have applied to a few places but none of them want to even know. is there anything i can do?

No, you just need to be able to successfully apply for the post. Having care experience helps, but your experience from a hospice and hospital should count towards an application. Problem is, with the economic climate at the moment that a job in the NHS is quite attractive as they're relatively secure, so there are hundreds of applicants for posts like HCA roles.
Reply 31
I'm currently applying for nursing and I've been trying to enquire about being a bank hca for months with no helpful information from anyone. This thread has helped slightly, just wondering if there's a way to apply for bank work at my local hospital without there being a job vacancy on the nhs jobs website, I'm pretty sure they use bank workers quite often so I was wondering if there was a place where I could apply??
Reply 32
Original post by CourtyJade
I'm currently applying for nursing and I've been trying to enquire about being a bank hca for months with no helpful information from anyone. This thread has helped slightly, just wondering if there's a way to apply for bank work at my local hospital without there being a job vacancy on the nhs jobs website, I'm pretty sure they use bank workers quite often so I was wondering if there was a place where I could apply??

Try looking on the trust's website or calling recruitment at the trust. You should be able to get put through to them if you ring their switchboard.
Reply 33
Thank you will give that a try tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
You can just work over the summer, lots of people do, you can choose your hours and days of work. I'm an HCA and worked on various wards, it is very interesting, you will enjoy it. You only have to work 2-3 weeks in that year to remain on the hca rosta
Original post by Busy hca
You can just work over the summer, lots of people do, you can choose your hours and days of work. I'm an HCA and worked on various wards, it is very interesting, you will enjoy it. You only have to work 2-3 weeks in that year to remain on the hca rosta

hi

going a little off topic I know

but did any of you complete the written assessments HCA bank NHS (i.e numeracy and literacy?) I did three written tests on Monday evening last week and still haven't heard whether I passed or failed. :frown: should I just presume that I haven't made it through to the next stage? (interview)
Reply 36
Original post by Busy hca

That's great I'm just struggling to get on at my local hospital keep getting passed to different people when I ring

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Guys

I currently volunteer at a hospital 3 hours a week. And yesterday one of the nurses advised me to become a Bank HCA. I'm not really sure if I am able to do that because I'm in year 12, so I'm still 16. I was just wondering how you can become one? Do I need any qualifications to become a HCA ?

Thanks
Reply 38
From what I've even told no you don't, I've been told that they will train you. When I was volunteering I was told to do the same, I'm just finding it hard to actually get on the bank as a hca I'm 19 and leaving college this year, hopefully going into nursing in September! I've rang my local hospital and they passed me on to someone else and then the people who they passed me onto passed me back and it was a nightmare in the end I just gave up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CourtyJade
From what I've even told no you don't, I've been told that they will train you. When I was volunteering I was told to do the same, I'm just finding it hard to actually get on the bank as a hca I'm 19 and leaving college this year, hopefully going into nursing in September! I've rang my local hospital and they passed me on to someone else and then the people who they passed me onto passed me back and it was a nightmare in the end I just gave up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't give up, keep trying. If you haven't yet try emailing HR or asking the switchboard to transfer you to HR, so you can speak to them.

I have recently applied for a HCA position and have assessments (and interview,if i pass skills assessment on same day) next week. Its a permanent position, however I am also looking to join the staff bank, as I start my Bsc mental health nursing in September 2014.

You could also try other places such as private hospitals, clinics,care homes or care companies that provide home care depending on what type of experience you are looking to gain. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending