The Student Room Group

Bank HCA (healthcare assistant)

Scroll to see replies

I agree the best way is either to ring the switchboard or get in contact with HR.The HCAs on the ward that I volunteered at advised me to apply for a Bank position, and I asked the Ward Manager for the number to ring for the Bank applications. Once I'd applied, it took the Trust about 2 months to offer me an interview :smile:

I'm starting a Child Nursing course and heard that working as a HCA is great training for nursing too.
I've recently started a new job as a Community HCA. My dad, being a nurse, has suggested I join the bank pool at my local hospital. I would like to do this as to get more experience in a hospital setting :smile: has anybody ever done bank work whilst having a job elsewhere?

x
Reply 42
Original post by Pusskins74
Hi Guys,

I have been reading all your messages regarding HCA role. I am changing career paths and have a offer of a HCA post on a Orthopaedic & Trauma ward. I am really looking forward to it. I am at present waiting for CRB check to come through and references.

I was wondering if any of you have worked on a orthopaedic & trauma ward?
Also if anyone can give me any advice or any terminology that staff use to prepare me.

I am sure I will get mandatory training and shadow another HCA but all the information you could give me now would be great!

thanks

P

I currently work as a HCA on Ortho wards, mainly elective side more than trauma though. Its hard work but great when we see someone up and ovine around after such a big op. Lots of moving and handling and pain issues.

POP is Plaster of Paris, FWB is full weight bearing, HWB is heel weight bearing, PWB partial weight bearing, TTWB touch toe weight bearing, NWB non weight bearing, TWOC is trial without catheter, ZF is zimmer frame, EC elbow crutches, OT occupational Therapy, PT physio, DC discharge, a/w awaiting, r/v review, 3/52 would be 3 weeks if it's /12 then would be months, ax is assessment, mane is next morning, NOF is neck of femur=broken hip...There are tons more but you will pick them up eventually.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Reply 43
Original post by siobhancait
I've recently started a new job as a Community HCA. My dad, being a nurse, has suggested I join the bank pool at my local hospital. I would like to do this as to get more experience in a hospital setting :smile: has anybody ever done bank work whilst having a job elsewhere?

x

Hi

I bank because I am a mum, if that's seen as a job!!! It's great because they hardly ring me anymore because I work out when I am free and book shifts in advance. I can also change the hours to suit me, like extend an early to 14.30 ready for school run. Basically working to my max around life!

Go for it. You can't lose. Hospitals are crying out for staff and you can work as little or as many hours you like, also at very short notice if you don't mind what ward you are given.
Original post by cpinner
Hi

I bank because I am a mum, if that's seen as a job!!! It's great because they hardly ring me anymore because I work out when I am free and book shifts in advance. I can also change the hours to suit me, like extend an early to 14.30 ready for school run. Basically working to my max around life!

Go for it. You can't lose. Hospitals are crying out for staff and you can work as little or as many hours you like, also at very short notice if you don't mind what ward you are given.

Thanks for your reply! Only problem I have is I'm not qualified :frown: will that be an issue? x
Reply 45
Original post by siobhancait
Thanks for your reply! Only problem I have is I'm not qualified :frown: will that be an issue? x

Nope, I was (and am) not. I got 6 days training when accepted :-)
Oh right, would you be able to do your NVQ through them if you wanted? :smile: x
sorry to OT this thread, but I have a HCA job interview next week and I am interested to know what questions I might get asked? I have started my own thread on this but thought I would ask on this one too :smile: I don't think I have to do any exams at this stage, but do have to do a role play with a patient which is a little scary :redface: (p.s I have no previous hospital/care experience, just voluntary first aid experience, a short placement in a residential home and an 1 year BTEC qual in health and social care)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Hi siobhancait

As a bank CSW (HCA) you would be able to work your hours around any courses/ education. Hospitals don't tend to offer NVQ's. I studied with OU to do Health and Social Care (CertHE) which topped up my ucas points for nursing... if that's what you want to do (??)
Original post by cpinner
Hi siobhancait

As a bank CSW (HCA) you would be able to work your hours around any courses/ education. Hospitals don't tend to offer NVQ's. I studied with OU to do Health and Social Care (CertHE) which topped up my ucas points for nursing... if that's what you want to do (??)

Every hospital I've worked in over the last 7 years has offered the opportunity to do NVQs to their HCAs. Following developments from the Francis inquiry and subsequent reviews of training, they may even become more common or even compulsory, as one of the intentions is for all HCAs to have a baseline qualification to work.
Reply 50
Original post by moonkatt
Every hospital I've worked in over the last 7 years has offered the opportunity to do NVQs to their HCAs. Following developments from the Francis inquiry and subsequent reviews of training, they may even become more common or even compulsory, as one of the intentions is for all HCAs to have a baseline qualification to work.

That's good!!! ;-) It's worth an ask then...
I've got my Bank HCA interview at 12.00pm tomorrow :smile: nervous, but excited!
hey does anyone else work as a HCA in a neonatal unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really want to get into the Healthcare Assistant role however I lack the practical experience. I have applied for a few with agencies but they want me to register and also pay for further training courses which I do not really want to do, plus I cannot afford to. Any ideas?
you are all dreaming took 4 months to get trained and go through the process to find the day I start I have no available shifts for 4 weeks I have left a full time job for this

the derby hospital team give promises they are unable to keep what happened to they have never let anyone down with hours
Reply 55
Hey guys. Sorry to bombard but seen a bit on this thread thats quite interesting for me. I've just started as a HCA on a surgery ward and whilst I enjoy the role I find I struggling to fit in on my ward which makes it all a bit uncomfortable. I would like to do bank shifts instead of being here full time but not sure if it's possible? I've only been working as a HCA for a month now, do I have to have longer experience?
Reply 56
hi can anyone tell me please how to apply for HCA bank job?
Reply 57
Hi guys!!I am about to start HCA bank next weekend and was thinking if you could help me with one thing.. Do you always get the shift when you need it?? Does it ever happen that you would like to work but there's nothing available?I am working somewhere else at the moment and would like to quit to focusa on HCA but not sure if there will be job when I need it.. All answers will be highly
Love all that I have read of your experiences . I have been working in a nursing home for the past 8 years . Now going on bank with Bournemouth NHS . I am level 2 having only come into this profession late in life after working in accountancy ! In nursing homes you don't get much experience with anything but personal care , end of life care , a lot of moving and handling , feeding , pressure sore care etc . I am looking forward to learning skills on the job . I have learnt some new skills while being a first aider with British Red Cross. We have to do a three week full time induction with RBH . Just one question ? What are you allowed to wear on your feet ? Just to say also at the very large home I was at - mainly end of life and dementia - we were not allowed to use our mobile phones !
I think most employers like shoes that cover the whole foot. I have black leather slip ons from Clarks, pricey but work it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending