Highers: Recommended Resources/Textbooks?

Watch this thread
Janusz Kowalcyzk
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Last edited by Janusz Kowalcyzk; 2 years ago
TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nerd434)
I was wondering whether anyone could offer advice on which textbooks/question books/past papers to buy for the following subjects that I will be studying next year? I tend to learn the content before using question books or textbooks containing practice questions to reinforce the knowledge. So I would be grateful if anyone could recommend textbooks that actually contain a lot of questions.

Higher Chemistry
Higher English
Higher History
Higher Human Biology
Higher Mathematics
Higher Physics
Chemistry: Bright Red revision book/ Leckie Revision Guide (I prefer the Leckie one,but the bright red book was good aswell)

Human Biology: I'll assume the Bright Red book is the same quality as higher Biology so I recommend it as the Biology one was superb for backing up information.

Maths: I recommend against the Bright Red revision book for this subject, but that maybe because for Maths reading books doesn't cater to my learning style.

Physics: I'm taking it next year, but my old teacher recommended the Brightred books and the Leckie Books for his class this year.

Basically for Revision Materials for your Sciences and Maths the Bright Red Revision books and the LeckiexLeckie Success Guides are all great.

For Question books:

If you don't get this as your textbook for maths (we did) the Maths in Action book was good for examples (Terrible at telling you how to do the questions though).
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Instead of spending money on past papers I would recommend just going onto the SQA website and viewing them for free on there. That's what I did for my philosophy and media exams this year. Unless, of course, your teachers want to use them in class - in which case they will tell you.

If there are any specific books you need it's likely your teachers/lecturers will give you a book list on your first day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise