The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5060
Original post by lullabell
I know this is a silly question, but can someone tell me in simple terms the changes that the commercial legal market has undergone in recent years? I only have 75 words and it is proving hard to condense. Many thanks!

In incredibly basic terms:
1. ABS aka Tesco law - alternative business structures, as introduced by the Legal Services Act - allows non-legal entities (e.g. Tesco) to undertake the provision of legal services. This is particularly relevant to commoditised, as opposed to bespoke, work which, it is predicted, these ABSs will focus on.

2. Increased regulation for clients - particularly in the financial services field (think Dodd Frank, Basel, etc). Clients must comply with this hitherto untested regulation therefore law firms have the challenge of trying to decipher what is within the bounds of the law.

3. Billing practices - particularly since the economic downturn, clients are negotiating for a decrease in their bills; or they at least want some more certainty than was given by the traditional hourly billing method. Clients are increasingly wanting law firms to provide a fixed cost or a costs cap at the outset for work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stevie wonder 65
anyone heard from DAC Beachcroft... acceptance or rejection?? Rang them yesterday and left a voicemail asking them to let me know as soon as reasonably possible but no news

Been invited to an assessment centre next Tuesday.
Hi I need some advice. I am a second year law student at a redbrick University. In my first year I got three 3rds and one 2:1 so averaged at 50%. In my second year I have got an average of 57%. Can I still apply for vac schemes and training contracts with these bad grades or should I just wait until I have graduated? I really want to pursue a career in law but these grades are holding me back from applying as I fear rejection.
Original post by RedbrickLaw
Hi I need some advice. I am a second year law student at a redbrick University. In my first year I got three 3rds and one 2:1 so averaged at 50%. In my second year I have got an average of 57%. Can I still apply for vac schemes and training contracts with these bad grades or should I just wait until I have graduated? I really want to pursue a career in law but these grades are holding me back from applying as I fear rejection.

I wouldn't like to comment on whether you could/ should make applications, that's up to you. Just so you now though, on the whole you've missed vacation scheme applications this year (by about 5 months) so you would have to apply for 2014 schemes.
Hey - I've heard absolutely nothing from DAC Beachcroft except confirmation of my application- is anyone else in the same position?
Original post by Hannahx04
Hey - I've heard absolutely nothing from DAC Beachcroft except confirmation of my application- is anyone else in the same position?

Same here! Nothing since the confirmation back in March.

Had an assessment centre on Tuesday, waiting on the result now.
Reply 5067
anyone going to an AC at Fladgate?
Original post by adam1992
Had an assessment centre on Tuesday, waiting on the result now.

Oh okay thank you best of luck! Which office was this? And do you know if they've done all the assessment centres now etc? cause i'm a bit confused that I've not heard anything and yet some people have had rejections or assessment day offers!!
Oh okay thank you best of luck! Which office was this? And do you know if they've done all the assessment centres now etc? cause i'm a bit confused that I've not heard anything and yet some people have had rejections or assessment day offers!!

I'm pretty sure they have to be honest with you, although i cannot be sure of that. I had my assessment in London and they had another one the following day in Bristol. I'm not sure why you haven't heard, it may be worth contacting them to find out.
Original post by adam1992
I'm pretty sure they have to be honest with you, although i cannot be sure of that. I had my assessment in London and they had another one the following day in Bristol. I'm not sure why you haven't heard, it may be worth contacting them to find out.

Okay thank you. I think if I have not heard by mid week I will give them a call. Best of luck for hearing back! :smile:
Anyone on Weightmans vac scheme?What have you done so far? Anyone for Birmingham?
Reply 5072
Is anyone on the Gibson Dunn scheme at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody had a pfo from the GLS yet??
Reply 5074
Is there anyone who was on either of the Speechlys vac schmes who has since had a TC rejection? I'm going mad with the wait!
Training contract offer with Simmons & Simmons. Absolutely over the moon!
Original post by legalwannabe
Eversheds telephone interview :smile:

hi, i was just wondering whether you had had the telephone interview ?
Original post by midnightL
Training contract offer with Simmons & Simmons. Absolutely over the moon!

Congrats!

That is a huge achievement, though are they supposed not to tell you the results until 1/9?
Original post by NapoleonXV
Congrats!

That is a huge achievement, though are they supposed not to tell you the results until 1/9?

That only applies to second year law and final year non-law. Final year law/graduates are exempt from this.
Original post by flaresamc
That only applies to second year law and final year non-law. Final year law/graduates are exempt from this.

To correct this, it only applies to second year students, whether law or non-law. Any finalists/graduates (law or non-law) are exempt from this.

To quote from the voluntary code, which can be easily accessed on the SRA website:

"Offers of employment as a trainee solicitor will not be made before 1 September in the student’s final year of undergraduate study. This applies to all applicants whether or not they have undertaken/are undertaking a vacation placement with the employer and whether they are law degree or non-law degree students."

Regardless, the code is voluntary and firms may decide to follow it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending