Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone knew any ideas for topics in general. I am desperately in need of a topic. I know it can be basically on anything relating to knowledge, or so I'm told, but I just don't understand what is supposed to be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmarieg)
    I was wondering if anyone knew any ideas for topics in general. I am desperately in need of a topic. I know it can be basically on anything relating to knowledge, or so I'm told, but I just don't understand what is supposed to be done.
    Hm. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few pretty contentious issues you could do for your oral.

- Animal rights
    - Euthanasia
    - Capital Punishment (Dancer in the Dark a good source)
    - Body image
    - Drugs in sport
    - Abortion
    - Genetic Engineering - Human cloning, or genetically engineered food
    - Censorship
    - The whole Iraq War issue - Was it a 'Just' War?

Basically look at it from the different ways of knowing (aka emotion, language, perception, reason). So for the war topic, you might look at the utilitarian vs self-interest, how religion affects morality, what constitutes as right or wrong? How does emotion cloud one's judgement on an ethical/moral level? And of course how language, and the use of words, syntax and grammar affect public opinion? Ask lots of rhetorical questions, and make examples and tell anecdotes.

I hope that helps.

*scurries off to think of World Lit 2 essay topics*

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you so much!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.