Turn on thread page Beta

Clean sweep, 6/6, how many? watch

Announcements

(Original post by tombraider)
    Sorry, this is the Parental Unit asking on subject's behalf (who would be furious to learn it!)

But remain curious about the sheer inefficiency of a system which means some people get 6/6, presumably at the expense of others who get 0/6, and the vast amount of reconciliation that must take place at clearing. Surely they must get around to a "results before offers" system faster than they have been talking about?
    Results before offers = Administrative chaos!!!

I think that the most logical thing to do would be to reduce the number of places that you are allowed to apply to at once. I think we could adopt a system where you can apply to any number of universities but you can only have 2 applications being looked over at any one time and you must accept or reject offers from either of these two before you can apply somewhere else. This would make it easier for uni's to get the correct numbers and also reduce the number of places offered that will never actually be taken up because everyone will apply to thier first and second choice initially and then if they are rejected, they will have the option of applying elsewhere. This means that no university is offering someone a place when its something stupid like their 5th choice. I for one feel quite guilty that my offers from Nott and Durham which I don't plan to accept could mean that some other deserving student could not get in!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yup I got 6/6!
    Oxford Brookes x 2 (german/geog and german/tourism)
    Swansea (ger/geog)
    Birmingham (ger/geog)
    Plymouth (ger/geog)
    UWE (ger/tourism)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Yep, and its sitting proudly in my firm choice at the moment!!! One day I will get bored of the Curry Mile, Manchester Academy and Deansgate Locks......could take a while though!!!
    I feel sorry for you lot... they've started introducing interviews this year, it's that competitive!

ReputationRep:
    You'll never get tired of Deansgate Locks though. Just dress up smart, I was rejected twice for forgetting to put my gel on.. in truth, my hair was rather messy.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the most logical thing to do would be to reduce the number of places that you are allowed to apply to at once. I think we could adopt a system where you can apply to any number of universities but you can only have 2 applications being looked over at any one time and you must accept or reject offers from either of these two before you can apply somewhere else. This would make it easier for uni's to get the correct numbers and also reduce the number of places offered that will never actually be taken up because everyone will apply to thier first and second choice initially and then if they are rejected, they will have the option of applying elsewhere. This means that no university is offering someone a place when its something stupid like their 5th choice.
    I think it's a good idea in theory, but I don't think it'd work in practice. Uni's would set places aside for potential rejects from other unis, for example, (please correct me if I'm getting your theory completely wrong...!) Newcastle may put aside 10 places on a course so that the first round of applicants (who apply to just two unis) can't get onto these, allowing Newcastle to offer the 10 places to students who get rejected from, for example, Oxbridge and Warwick in the first round of applications.

It'd put a lot of pressure on students early on in the UCAS applications too - I didn't know which uni I was going to go to as my insurance until the deadline came up. Even afterwards I wasn't sure I'd made the right choice.

I for one feel quite guilty that my offers from Nott and Durham which I don't plan to accept could mean that some other deserving student could not get in!!!
    I felt the same. Especially as there were people in my 6th form who'd applied for the same course at the same uni and were still waiting when I already had an offer. I wanted a way of handing it over to them...but I know it'd never work like that!

ReputationRep:
    I got six offers to read an undergraduate Master's in Chemistry at:

Oxford
    Imperial
    Bristol
    Durham
    Warwick
    Nottingham

(Original post by Icarus)
    I feel sorry for you lot... they've started introducing interviews this year, it's that competitive!
    I know of 2 acceptances (including myself) and 5 rejections for my/your/our course!!! The interview was quite scary but I got an offer so I'm massively impressed. Of the 5 rejections, I know that 2 did not quite meet the graade requirements (both predicted BBB) and the other 3 were rejected after interview!!! I had already decided on Nottingham because I thought that there was no chance of Manchester making me an offer but I got lucky...

Just out of interest...was it the bouncers at emporia that turned you away???

ReputationRep:
    I got 5 offers from all my 5 choices when I applied for Chemistry last year. Only one place gave me an offer without interview though (well 2 but thats cos i declined an interview at the second but they still gave me an offer).

(Original post by .NK)
    I think it's a good idea in theory, but I don't think it'd work in practice. Uni's would set places aside for potential rejects from other unis, for example, (please correct me if I'm getting your theory completely wrong...!) Newcastle may put aside 10 places on a course so that the first round of applicants (who apply to just two unis) can't get onto these, allowing Newcastle to offer the 10 places to students who get rejected from, for example, Oxbridge and Warwick in the first round of applications.
    That is a flaw in the idea!!! My idea is based on the theory that uni's will want to accept people who are commited to wanting to go to their institution rather than those simply wanting to fill up thier UCAS from. To some extent though, I think that uni do keep "reserved" places now by holding offers back for applicants who apply quite late with good grades. I think that this leave basically 2 more viable options

1) Keep the current system but to reduce the number of choices that we have. I know that if I was given 3 choices I would have picked Manchester, Loughborough and Notts which are the main 3 that I would consider. As it was I felt like I *had* to make 6 choices to ensure that I got an offer from somewhere (hence Durham, UEA and Newcastle). Reduced number of choices would mean less applications to uni's from uncommited candidates and therefore there would be more offers made to people who are commited to a particular uni.

2) Adopt the USA's system of applying directly to universities. This would also have the added bonus of applicants being able to tailor a personal statement for every university. To deter people from applying to rediculous amounts of uni's there could be a rule which says that you can apply to 3 places for free but you will charged a fee (something like £30 to cover admin costs) for each additional uni.

Anyone else have any ideas on remaking the application system to improve it???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnaB041986)
    6/6:
    Manchester (maths & phys)
    Liverpool (mathematical phys)
    warwick (maths & phys)
    bath (maths & phys)
    leeds (maths)
    cambridge (maths)

seems theres a bit of a trend that several people doing maths got 6/6, maybe it shows how uncompetative maths applications are? (sorry, i dont mean to take the wind out of the sails of all the maths people with 6 offers by saying that!)
    yeh no offence but they're desperate for maths candidates! Government considering removing tuition fees for you to encourage people to do it!!! Spesh u as u female, they really want u! but well done anyways Got some good unis in your grasp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_ass)
    woo i found some one who gets me @ moog! yea lots of snobbery n stuff on here.
    good for u! u go where u want, besides I'm not sure oxbridge offer town planning so why apply if they don't even do the course u wanna do! Good luck wherever u end up

ReputationRep:
    6/6 for civil engineering

Bath
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Newcastle
    Southampton
    Warwick

any ideas on where I should go? Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    6/6 for civil engineering

Bath
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Newcastle
    Southampton
    Warwick

any ideas on where I should go? Thanks xx
    Cambridge all the way!!!

Can you give me an idea on what the interviews were like for engineering? And have you got a gap year placement or such?

ReputationRep:
    6/6 for Geog, curiously enough in the order I want to go to them...

Cambridge (pool offer)
    Durham
    Edinburgh
    Nottingham
    Sheffield (Geog + Politics)
    Southampton

ReputationRep:
    I know of 2 acceptances (including myself) and 5 rejections for my/your/our course!!! The interview was quite scary but I got an offer so I'm massively impressed. Of the 5 rejections, I know that 2 did not quite meet the graade requirements (both predicted BBB) and the other 3 were rejected after interview!!! I had already decided on Nottingham because I thought that there was no chance of Manchester making me an offer but I got lucky...

Just out of interest...was it the bouncers at emporia that turned you away???
    There are still a few more interviews to go for the next fortnight; I've bee given two slots to "reassure" the interviewees and answer any questions about the uni for them. Obviously, I'm in it for the free lunch and money

Yeah, how did you guess? Their policy is strict, very strict. You don't look a bit like a star, you're out. Bah, I have 5th Avenue anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should put my Universities:

Bath
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Warwick
    York

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)

Bath
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Warwick
    York
    LOrdy! Congrats you smarty pants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)

Bath
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Warwick
    York

Ah okay... you've already posted it.

BTW, is physics that undersubscribed as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    6/6 for Geog, curiously enough in the order I want to go to them...

Cambridge (pool offer)
    Durham
    Edinburgh
    Nottingham
    Sheffield (Geog + Politics)
    Southampton
    And you deserved it

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    Out of that lot Lancaster is the best probal by far. I personaly wouldn't bother with places like TVU because the it may not be worth getting into debt for 3 years do what could be a substandard degree. Pasiley is also as bad as TVU.

What grades did are you looking to achieve?
    So you think it might be a substandard degree because of the course (town planning) or because of the university? Very interested because I applied to do the same thing (although at different universities)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.