ReputationRep:
    6/6 - and I've replied

Oxford (firm)
    Durham (ins)
    Bath
    Bristol
    York
    Warwick

all for maths and philosophy, if they do it, or just maths.

I feel guilty rejecting some of them, because they're good, they're the top of other people's lists. Having said that, yeah, they're desperate for mathmos - Oxford though had double the usual no of applicants for maths and joint schools in my college, surprisingly!

Would be nice if the Govt. paid me to study maths... not that I'm planning to be a teacher, but

ReputationRep:
    ok I'll put the universities I got into in the order I want to go to them.

Cambridge
    Kings London
    Manchester
    York
    Nottingham
    Edinburgh

oh yeah and that's for music (which isn't undersubscribed)

Musicboy

(Original post by Icarus)
    There are still a few more interviews to go for the next fortnight; I've bee given two slots to "reassure" the interviewees and answer any questions about the uni for them. Obviously, I'm in it for the free lunch and money

Yeah, how did you guess? Their policy is strict, very strict. You don't look a bit like a star, you're out. Bah, I have 5th Avenue anyway.
    I have a friend who had the same trobule when he was trying to get in with "jeans" on. They were so far from being jeans that it wasn't even funny but the complete **** on the door said that they looked too "jeany". We still got into Baa Bar and (shockingly) The Sugar Lounge though!!! I like 5th Avenue too but Im not a fan of that other one, I think its 42nd Street or something like that!!!

If by chance you get to see any of the interview records then please feel free to write the words "accept no matter what his grade" across the front of mine, in your best handwriting!!!

PS - What is your prefered accomodation?? I already know loads about some of the accomodation (e.g. Chandos, Whitworth Park) but there are some that don't know anything about (Oak House). I quite like the idea of living a little way away from the Kilburn (sp?) building so I was considering Oak House to supplement Chandos and Whitworth!!! Your thoughts??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Bradford (BSc Archaeology)
    Cambridge (BA Archaeology & Anthropology)
    Durham (BA Archaeology & Anthropology)
    Sheffield (BSc Archaeological Science)
    UCL (BSc Archaeology)
    York (BA Archaeology)

Accepted Cambridge & Sheffield yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I have a friend who had the same trobule when he was trying to get in with "jeans" on. They were so far from being jeans that it wasn't even funny but the complete **** on the door said that they looked too "jeany". We still got into Baa Bar and (shockingly) The Sugar Lounge though!!! I like 5th Avenue too but Im not a fan of that other one, I think its 42nd Street or something like that!!!

If by chance you get to see any of the interview records then please feel free to write the words "accept no matter what his grade" across the front of mine, in your best handwriting!!!

PS - What is your prefered accomodation?? I already know loads about some of the accomodation (e.g. Chandos, Whitworth Park) but there are some that don't know anything about (Oak House). I quite like the idea of living a little way away from the Kilburn (sp?) building so I was considering Oak House to supplement Chandos and Whitworth!!! Your thoughts??? :confused:
    What is about 5th Avenue? Its the most overated crowded busy sweaty club in Manchester yet if I don't go for a weeks I miss the place like mad. I was in there this Thursday and I nearly got crushed to death.

I think I like it becuase its more like my local pub these days, I always see people I know in there. The music is mostly good in 5th Ave although its always very predictable.

I got turned down 5th Ave once because I was wearing trackies (they were actually combats) also last Friday they did not accept my Salford University ID card (I left my NUS at home) so I had to pay £5 to get in *******s (this was before 11:00).

I am amazed they get away with the £1 vodka red bull scam, its actually Red Alert.

42nd Street, I've been there twice, once was crap the second time was good, its owned by the same company as 5th ave but they have no heating in the place so you're on the dance floor with your coat on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)
    So you think it might be a substandard degree because of the course (town planning) or because of the university? Very interested because I applied to do the same thing (although at different universities)
    The university, there is nothing wrong with the course, we need town planners. Its just Paisley and TVU have very bad general reputations.

ReputationRep:
    6/6 for Comp Sci, dance with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    4/4 for Vet Medicine/Science
    OMG! well done mjf! where u apply to? u must be a mega brain and have some personality at these interviews

ReputationRep:
    wow cant beleive you all applied to six unis... would you seriously have gone to any ofthe six or were you just filling up the spaces? i only applied to 2 ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    wow cant beleive you all applied to six unis... would you seriously have gone to any ofthe six or were you just filling up the spaces? i only applied to 2 ..
    I met a first-year at Oxford who applied only to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    6/6 for maths

didnt apply to Cambridge tho!

Bath
    Bristol
    Birmingham
    Leicester
    Leeds
    York

still got no idea where to go :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wal)
    Ah okay... you've already posted it.

BTW, is physics that undersubscribed as well?
    Why do you assume that those six universities that bigncee got offers from were undersubcribed?
    The top unis are NEVER undersubscribed for any course - yes, even Maths!
    Examples - subject specific:
    Bath 11 applicants per place
    Bristol 9 applicants per place
    Cambridge 4 applicants per place (Oxbridge are 'self-selecting' hence lower ratios)
    Imperial 10 applicants per place
    Warwick 8 applicants per place
    York 8 applicants per place
    Regarding physics (and chemistry) - it depends which unis you apply to. If you want to apply to the top unis then competition is stiff.
    However, for subjects like Latin/Greek, Arch&Anth, Geography, the chances of offers are much higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    Because some courses are so oversubscribed that it's not unheard of for a top class applicant to get no offers at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Cambridge 4 applicants per place (Oxbridge are 'self-selecting' hence lower ratios)
    This may sound stupid, but what does self-selecting mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Why do you assume that those six universities that bigncee got offers from were undersubcribed?
    Regarding physics (and chemistry) - it depends which unis you apply to. If you want to apply to the top unis then competition is stiff.
    However, for subjects like Latin/Greek, Arch&Anth, Geography, the chances of offers are much higher.
    You learn something new everyday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    This may sound stupid, but what does self-selecting mean? :confused:
    Only the "top" students bother applying.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Don't get me wrong, I was just reffering to the users saying math is undersubscribed.

My only question, is Physics as undersubscribed/oversubscribed as Math at the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    I got 5/5-
    St. Andrews(Psych. with French Bsc+Psych. and French MA)
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Stirling
    They were unconditional offers and I accepted the Bsc at St. A.

ReputationRep:
    (5/5) and i withdrew my manchester application before the interview as i couldn't afford to waste the train fare!

Architecture

Cambridge
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Edinbrugh
    Glasgow

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.