OCR Civil Rights in America History 12th June Watch

tsveta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It seems as though most people on here seem to be studying the Russian course - which I am really jealous about mainly because it looks so interesting and also because they have a zillion people to discuss with!!

So I decided to make this thread for anyone studying Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992.

I've started revising today for it and the exam is next Tuesday. It's my penultimate exam so I'm not too worried about revision time as I can pretty much dedicate every hour of every day from now until then. But I was just wondering how people are revising for it, if anyone wants to share/compare/discuss notes or exemplar essays?

HIT ME WITH YOUR CIVIL RIGHTS INFO :cool:
vienna_waits_for_you
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty much in the same position as you, it's a week tomorrow and started revising today! Except I have politics on Monday and Thursday as well so having to divide my time a bit. Really nervous as I actually know bugger all... I'm just trying to learn all the federal government cases and roles of the Presidents in African American civil rights this afternoon, then maybe leaders and groups later.
Any advice, anyone?! Any predictions on questions would be great.
tsveta
Rep:
?
(Original post by vienna_waits_for_you)
I'm pretty much in the same position as you, it's a week tomorrow and started revising today! Except I have politics on Monday and Thursday as well so having to divide my time a bit. Really nervous as I actually know bugger all... I'm just trying to learn all the federal government cases and roles of the Presidents in African American civil rights this afternoon, then maybe leaders and groups later.
Any advice, anyone?! Any predictions on questions would be great.
gaah same, i have english on the 20th which seems ages away but i have so much reading to do!! i feel like i know nothing as well, but the thing i am more worried about is the essay technique as i think i will be able to just scrape the facts out but the way in which you write the essay is more important than own knowledge!! do you want to share and compare notes and essays? my teacher has been less than helpful and obviously as its half term i have no way of contacting her about marking my essays/questions and i only have one day before the exam to next week. what are you predicted? X
f1mad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got this.

Haven't revised nothing for it yet though . How do you guys plan on revising for it?
tsveta
Rep:
?
(Original post by f1mad)
I've got this.

Haven't revised nothing for it yet though . How do you guys plan on revising for it?
i started revising today and went from the beginning of my text book, looking at the important bits e.g. the 13th, 14th 15th amendment and wrote them out on flash cards so i can reinforce it in my brain and refer to it easily. thats as far as ive got. plan on writing essays with and without my books soon though and making proper notes. you?
Einsteinius
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is this the American West exam? or a different exam?:cry2:
tsveta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Einsteinius)
Is this the American West exam? or a different exam?:cry2:
i dont think it is the american west exam?? this is all about civil rights and race relations...is that you?
f1mad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tsveta)
i started revising today and went from the beginning of my text book, looking at the important bits e.g. the 13th, 14th 15th amendment and wrote them out on flash cards so i can reinforce it in my brain and refer to it easily. thats as far as ive got. plan on writing essays with and without my books soon though and making proper notes. you?
Oh right.

I'll probably try and dig up the notes I printed off last time around and attempt some past papers.
tsveta
Rep:
?
(Original post by f1mad)
Oh right.

I'll probably try and dig up the notes I printed off last time around and attempt some past papers.
ahhh please share i will send u mine in return once i have typed them up!!
jlnbello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
instead of talking about certain facts and events etc can we talk about the different types of questions that they can ask you in the exam.
I know there are three types of questions : turning point questions, factor questions and a mixture of the two.

Can people tell me how to structure these different types of questions and what important techniques your meant to include like synoptic judgement and cross referencing etc.
Also i am finding that completely ignoring one topic such as Trade unioins and only revising for the other three is a good way to go. I mean you only need to answer two of the three questions anyway.
vienna_waits_for_you
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
gaah same, i have english on the 20th which seems ages away but i have so much reading to do!! i feel like i know nothing as well, but the thing i am more worried about is the essay technique as i think i will be able to just scrape the facts out but the way in which you write the essay is more important than own knowledge!! do you want to share and compare notes and essays? my teacher has been less than helpful and obviously as its half term i have no way of contacting her about marking my essays/questions and i only have one day before the exam to next week. what are you predicted? X
Yeah I've got English too! But 6 free days before it so I'll just concentrate on it then I think, I'm forgetting it for the moment. I'm predicted an A... but I genuinely do not feel like that's going to happen right now. I need an A for uni so I'm praying I pull through! You? I'm so disorganised, which I was one of the people who started revising months ago.
Yeah I know what you mean about the facts, but I think as long as you accompany each one with a comparative and keep your argument consistent it might be ok. One hour to write an essay is not long though, I get so distracted so easily!!
Word of advice - do AA's today, learn the leaders and their pros and cons, and rank them in order of effectiveness. Then learn some Supreme Court cases, enough to cover the whole period. Then learn Congress decisions, again enough to cover the whole period. Then, learn all the Presidents in the period, I think all you need to know is if they were good or bad, and a brief sentence on why. My history teacher says it's more 'implied knowledge' in your essays rather than detailed knowledge, because you simply don't have enough time to go into detail whilst covering all that you need to.
tsveta
Rep:
?
(Original post by jlnbello)
instead of talking about certain facts and events etc can we talk about the different types of questions that they can ask you in the exam.
I know there are three types of questions : turning point questions, factor questions and a mixture of the two.

Can people tell me how to structure these different types of questions and what important techniques your meant to include like synoptic judgement and cross referencing etc.
Also i am find that completely ignore one topic such as Trade unioins and only revising for the other three is a good way to go. I mean you only need to answer two of the three questions anyway.
i thought about doing this but apparently last year the girls in the year above me all made a pact not to revise women and the women question that came up was so easy and the other question they had to do was really difficult :/ so it is a risk. PM me if you want to exchange essays/notes etc. x
Einsteinius
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i dont think it is the american west exam?? this is all about civil rights and race relations...is that you?
Oh, no :moon:
jlnbello
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i thought about doing this but apparently last year the girls in the year above me all made a pact not to revise women and the women question that came up was so easy and the other question they had to do was really difficult :/ so it is a risk. PM me if you want to exchange essays/notes etc. x
Oh fair enough. I might give you some essays but the thing is i have not written any yet...
heera
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
has anyone written any essays on trade union civil rights or on any of the other topics that they would like to share with me please :colondollar:
tsveta
Rep:
?
(Original post by heera)
has anyone written any essays on trade union civil rights or on any of the other topics that they would like to share with me please :colondollar:
I will do when I have written them
heera
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I will do when I have written them
what question will you be doing?
looking through all the questions theres questions to do with :
internal divisions
federal govt hindering
new deal
1920's
1890's
Cesar Lecat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing this exam as well. In terms of remembering the facts, I don't think it won't be too much of a problem. I'm pretty good at remembering the key dates, acts, people and court cases. There isn't that much to remember. Especially if you break it down into different periods. I'm only revising for AA, TU and NA. Completely ignoring women's right.

My issue is how I write it and whether I answer it well and evaluate it enough. I'm doing a practice paper now and hoping to give it to my teacher tomorrow. Hopefully he'll tell me where to improve.
Cesar Lecat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly, I'm not bragging at all. But it wasn't difficult at all. I did that paper last year and got a C. And that was because my revision was appalling. I didn't revise for that exam until the night before and never did any practice paper. I don't think I evaluated well enough at all. Instead just writing down the facts or making my points without explaining why I said it or even whether I disagree with it and if I did, why? etc.

The only piece of advice I went in to the exam with was not to write it in chronological order when answering the question.

If we get similar questions as last year, I'd be ecstatic.
Cesar Lecat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just had a look at the OCR russian thread. Yikes :shock:

Utterly grateful that my teacher chose Civil Rights in America.

Is it me or is the Russian exam completely different to ours? Not in terms of how they ask the questions, but how you're supposed to answer them. Reading the thread, there seems to be a lot of different structure in how to answer the different types of questions.

From my understanding and reading the Mark scheme. If you can remember all the facts, then the most important thing in the exam is to always evaluate every point you make and never ever write the exam in chronological order.

Is there anymore tips/advice on how one should answer the questions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%