The Student Room Group

The Jubilee and the death of the BBC

Unlike a lot of you miserable sods on here, I'm quite happy to enjoy the Jubilee celebrations, just as I am happy to respect the Queen for the work she puts in. I was actually looking forward to the river Pageant yesterday. Then what happens? The Beeb get hold of the coverage and, having had a quick look at some of the papers today, they seem to think about as much of it as I do. Rightly so, in my opinion. That has to have been one of the Beeb's worst performances in my lifetime. A steaming festering pile of ignorant incompetent ****
MFW11.gif

There were a thousand or so boats on the river, most of them with interesting histories or designs, loads of them crewed by interesting people. There were half a dozen or so of them with musicians whose music could easily have been broadcast. It was all lead by a specially-made bell tower, ringing out all the way down the river. A brilliant sight and a unique occasion.
So why oh why did the Beeb give us five hours of semi-famous uninformed airheads waffling about babies? Or cakes? Or themselves?
Why3.png

tl;dr: Oi, BBC, I want my licence fee back!!

Scroll to see replies

I so agree with this!! Me and my fam were complaining about the presenters lack of knowlege etc!! Sooo INFURIATING!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by kingsholmmad
Unlike a lot of you miserable sods on here, I'm quite happy to enjoy the Jubilee celebrations, just as I am happy to respect the Queen for the work she puts in. I was actually looking forward to the river Pageant yesterday. Then what happens? The Beeb get hold of the coverage and, having had a quick look at some of the papers today, they seem to think about as much of it as I do. Rightly so, in my opinion. That has to have been one of the Beeb's worst performances in my lifetime. A steaming festering pile of ignorant incompetent ****
MFW11.gif

There were a thousand or so boats on the river, most of them with interesting histories or designs, loads of them crewed by interesting people. There were half a dozen or so of them with musicians whose music could easily have been broadcast. It was all lead by a specially-made bell tower, ringing out all the way down the river. A brilliant sight and a unique occasion.
So why oh why did the Beeb give us five hours of semi-famous uninformed airheads waffling about babies? Or cakes? Or themselves?
Why3.png

tl;dr: Oi, BBC, I want my licence fee back!!

I think the problem here is that you watched 5 hours of television you hated. And you don't need to pay the license fee if you don't mind watching programmes a bit after they've finished (or don't mind breaking teh law, but I wouldn't be the type of person to encourage that :colone:).
Reply 3
Yeah it was a pretty drab performance. Huw Edwards usually does some kind of commentary on these things which is more than enough. They could have had 4 or 5 commentators that took turns to explain what we were seeing and what was going on. Instead we get that prick Matt Baker (who was on BBC Two at the same time so you couldn't even do a quick channel change to get away from him) and some newsreader in a silly studio either talking about the "atmosphere" or something else of no relevance whatsoever, who then dish out to other presenters around the river looking at cakes shaped like corgis. All I wanted to do was see the boats, why was that so hard?

I'll be pretty pissed if they do the same thing for the concert tonight.
Reply 4
Original post by Hopple
I think the problem here is that you watched 5 hours of television you hated. And you don't need to pay the license fee if you don't mind watching programmes a bit after they've finished (or don't mind breaking teh law, but I wouldn't be the type of person to encourage that :colone:).

That's incitement. A rapist has just been freed, a terrorist under surveillance left alone or a murder investigation halted while the prime suspect is still at large all so the police can use their resources to plan and conduct a dawn raid on your property with two dozen riot police, an armed response unit and helicopter support because you just incited someone online to not pay the license fee and watch TV anyway.
I agree, I quickly changed to Sky.

At first, it seemed like a bold choice but I was glad I had made it. I didn't watch the whole pageant though, and the clips on the BBC website were more than enough to capture the more interesting moments from the day.

Edit: Just noted your little tl;dr at the bottom there OP, and I wouldn't go quite as far to say I want my licence fee back. However, this is something they should definitely have a long think over..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 122025278
That's incitement. A rapist has just been freed, a terrorist under surveillance left alone or a murder investigation halted while the prime suspect is still at large all so the police can use their resources to plan and conduct a dawn raid on your property with two dozen riot police, an armed response unit and helicopter support because you just incited someone online to not pay the license fee and watch TV anyway.

I 'incited' someone to watch it later on iPlayer...
This is how I have felt the whole past week or two with the BBC and its mind numbing schedule of successive accoldaes and paean's to the Queen.
The ridiculous obsession some people have with the royals is like the obsession some people with the lives of celebrities. The only differences are that it's the upper and middle class that are involved and that it's even more senseless since the only thing most royals have done to attain their fame is be born and raised to live a ridiculously privileged lifestyle.
Sky is always far superior to the bloody BBC. Yesterday was no exception.
Reply 10
They should've used veteran/politcial commentators like Dimbleby instead of the likes of Aneeka Rice showcasing rain soaked artwork and Angellica from CBeebies finding babies cute. However I thought the pageant was pretty boring and repetitive regardless of the television channel.
Reply 11
Original post by Seasick Steve
Sky is always far superior to the bloody BBC. Yesterday was no exception.

Kay Burley to kids: "You two must be brother and sister"

Kid: "We're brothers".
Original post by Fusion
Kay Burley to kids: "You two must be brother and sister"

Kid: "We're brothers".

Wouldn't surprise me, Kay Burley is no stranger to gaffs.
I wanna be king. Somebody make it happen. I promise I'll work very hard.
Reply 14
OP, find the button shown here. remote_shutterstock_47518-224x130.jpg

Press.

Problem solved.
I hadn't seen the bloody apprentice final you absolute dipstick who ruined it for me. Thanks a bloody bunch :colonhash:
You can't polish a turd - how exactly did you think watching some ornate barges floating down a filthy river for five hours was going to be fun?
Reply 17
I watched it yesterday and I enjoyed it. As for the coverage by the BBC, I can see what you mean. I was thinking when they went to Angelica Bell in St Thomas's Hospital, how was this relevant?

The BBC is covering this weekend more than ITV. ITV are only covering the events tomorrow whereas the BBC have covered all the big events.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you care so much, maybe you should have gone down n watched it. or you could've watched in on sky. either way shut up and spend your efforts worrying about something more important to society.
I will be writing to the BBC Trust and OFCOM to protest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending